Carbine barrel | Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by 68lemans462, Jul 22, 2014.

1. I'm cleaning this gun up for a friend. Disassembled for cleanup and inspection. I noticed what looks like a "ring" inside the barrel about 10" back from the muzzle. There is also a slight bulge in the barrel in the same place on the outside. Hard to picture but if you look you can see it.

I see no cracks or any other issues. It almost looks as if the factory joined 2 pieces together in this spot??? Anyone else have one that looks like this, or do I have a problem? Bore otherwise looks fantastic. Gun is said to be a good shooter, i've never shot it. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

• hp1.jpg
      hp1.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    • hp2.jpg
      hp2.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
    • hp1.jpg
      hp1.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    • hp2.jpg
      hp2.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Looks it had a obstructed barrel mishap, or a squib....... That is not normal.

3. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I agree, looks like the result of a squib, not safe to shoot at this point, needs to go in and have the barrel replaced.

4. topper

topper Member

good eyes. it might be a lapp. a defect in the metal.

5. Definitely looks like a squib, my .22 had one and looks very similar... Though I've continued to shoot it with no problems, but you might as well send it back to Mom for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Buldged barrel. I would have it replaced

7. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I agree to squib. Could have split the barrel when the bullet slammed to the squib. Whoever it was was lucky as hell.

8. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Good catch on your part. +1 on getting it replaced. I wouldn't shoot it.

9. RockCreek

RockCreek Member

MN
    Again, looks like Hi-Point shows its strength. That bulge is almost certainly from an obstructed bore, probably a squib load. Lots of guns would have burst the barrel from that. It probably is safe continue to shoot it, but why when MOM will take care of it under warranty.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Agree, squib, but I doubt most pistol caliber cartridges would blow a barrel apart, HP or not.

The gun is probably perfectly safe. But why risk it? Replace it by returning it to Mom.