Carbine barrels and lead bullets

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by BCGUNCOLL, Jul 4, 2015.

1. BCGUNCOLL

BCGUNCOLL Member

Are the barrels on the carbines finicky about lead bullets, like some other barrels are? By finicky i mean, the leading causing the barrel to explode or whatever the normal problem is with lead bullets. I'm asking because im gonna get a 45acp carbine. A buddy of mine wants one, but wants to shoot hardened lead reloads thru his. Thanx for any and all info.....

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Is this a serious question?
    Do the barrels explode?
    Which barrels have these issues on other guns?

Upon further thought im just going to NOT reply because i don't think i can give a politically correct and forum appropriate response.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

3. BCGUNCOLL

BCGUNCOLL Member

Well, have you never heard of the rifling in glock barrels making them not recommended for shooting lead bullets???

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Nope. But i wouldn't use a Glock if it was given to me.

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Popcorn anyone?

6. I have shot both soft cast, and hard cast bullets through my 1911 for decades with no leading problems. Most leading is caused by gas checking, a problem encountered more in revolvers. If there is a significant problem in HP carbine, then the bullets are undersized. Of course any shooting with cast bullets should be on a regular cleaning after shooting.

Most Glocks, IMO, go kaboom from a variety of failures caused by human error. Brass that is weak, and not checked with a case gauge, double charges, bullet setback, or a combination. A barrel that is leaded bad enough to kaboom would be rather obvious.

7. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

Um, wouldn't cleaning your rifle on a regular basis make this a non-issue?
    Just askin'...

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Glock barrels use polygonal rifling, instead of traditional land-and-groove rifling, so there is a tighter seal between the bullet and the barrel. The tighter gas seal can lead to increased lead deposits.

Hi Point carbines don't use polygonal rifling, and with the .45 models, the increase in velocity from the longer barrel is probably negligible enough not to case leading.

9. I know a lot of competitors shooting cast out of stock Glock barrels with no leading problems. But they clean their guns well after each match. If you look down a Glock barrel it is not a true poly barrel, it has lands and grooves, a poly barrel has flat surfaces. Glock barrels do not have sharp edges on the lands or sharp corners, they have a smoother surface. Mostly because they are cheaper to manufacture, and possibly with less contact area higher velocity.

[​IMG]

Glock rifling

[​IMG]

As you can see Glock OEM barrel has lands and grooves, you can also see a small bit if leading in the barrel. Which is not uncommon with FMJ, because the base of the bullet is not jacketed, or protected from the hot gasses, and since it is soft lead, has a low melting point. FMJ is more likely to cause leading in a Glock barrel than proper sized hard cast.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  10. Opinion from Buffalo Bore ammo

HARD CAST BULLETS IN POLYGONAL BARRELS

True hard cast bullets (as opposed to lead swaged bullets) that are properly lubed will not lead foul polygonal barrels any more than any other type of rifled barrel. Ever since Glock Corporation warned to not use lead bullets in their pistols with polygonal barrels, a myth that hard cast bullets will lead foul polygonal barrels has become wide spread in some parts of the firearms world. However, the myth is untrue. Hard cast bullets are not "lead" bullets. (See my article on "Dangerous Pure Lead Cowboy Bullets")

Pure lead or nearly pure lead bullets have a tendency to foul any barrel, not just polygonal barrels. Years ago, when several Glock pistols experienced cracked barrels because of fouling build up from shooting pure lead bullets, Glock issued a warning not to shoot lead bullets in their polygonal barrels. From that warning, the myth that you should not shoot hard cast bullets in polygonal barrels was born.

Provided you use real hard cast bullets with good lube, you can shoot them all you like in polygonal barrels without causing lead fouling deposits at the front of your chamber or anywhere else in the barrel. If you are concerned about lead fouling from hard cast bullets, all you have to do is to clean your barrel after firing hard cast bullets and before firing any jacketed bullets. However, in my experience, quality hard cast bullets won't foul a Glock polygonal barrel or any other type of barrel but lead bullets normally will.

Now I do disagree on the use of soft cast, I use them without problems, but I keep velocity well below 1000 fps with those loads. I am running 105 gr soft cast over red dot in 380 acp at 850 fps with no leading problems.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I see you've met the welcome wagon. Welcome to the forum BCGUNCOLL!

You can always use http://www.bayoubullets.net/ or buy some http://www.xtremebullets.com/45-s/48048.htm

12. Blondie70

Blondie70 NRA Life Member Member

I am shooting hard cast bullets in my 9mm Hi point carbine. No problems at all. I have cleaned it a couple times and bore looks super. Good Shooting !!!

13. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

The High Point Blunderbuss.

14. Now can we talk about caliber size, and FMJ, or hollow point? :rolleyes::eek::rofl:

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Reminds me of the time cicpup set off a n00b by saying a couple of good things, then said the guy's 995 ATI stock looked like a Blunderbuss smoking a cigarette :rofl: Good Times!!! :dance:

He was basically saying "nice job" but you might consider a barrel shroud,
    because w/o one it looks like a Blunderbuss smoking a cigarette!

16. Kind of a follow up here; it has been reported that Glocks are only troubled by soft lead bullets & that HARD lead is not an issue. The polygonal rifling seems to be the trouble. At any rate, Buffalo Bore has a write-up in their website that discusses this issue. :confused:

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

No thanks! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, turned it into a grease rag ;)

I have sworn off any caliber thread arguments 'til the next time!

18. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    That topic has been beat to death and it never changed anyone's mind or opinion.

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I really wish that I was on leave to The States, right now, because then I could get a picture of the inside of one of my Glock barrels for you. They don't look like that example you provided. In fact, that example looks more like the inside of my 1911 barrel.

Edit: The only difference between that and my 1911 barrel is that mine is much cleaner.

20. BCGUNCOLL

BCGUNCOLL Member

Na. I'm not offended. I'm used to a#%holes :rolleyes:. Ok. i got the info. my buddy needed. Personally, i could care less. As most of you have stated, i clean my barrels after every shooting spree. Anyway, thanx for all the info. everybody. thanx for the greetings too.