Carbine idea

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Dave_H, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

New products are undoubtedly on the backburner, but I have an idea for a variation of the carbine. Not instead of mind you, but a variation aimed at a different market.
    Take the basic 995 or 4095 action, redesign it just enough to plunk it in to a conventional non pistol grip type of stock, say a basic monte carlo type of shape fed by a mag in front of the trigger.
    Make the polymer stocks for these guns a benign looking brown or perhaps a hunting style of camo.
    With the already limited magazine capacity teamed with a don't scare the hoplophobes type of look, it could add places where Hi-Points can be sold. That would open up a state or two that has pistol grip restrictions, and it might be something to open up the doors of places that don't currently sell Hi Points.

2. Don't know how well recieved that idea would be. Interesting, I'll give you that much, but I'm picturing a Savage .22 style look to a rifle in 9mm. It would be interesting to see, but dont know how popular it would be. What makes the 995 so popular is that the famous KelTek Sub2000 and the Berretta cx4 storm. Maybe someone can use photoshop or even paint to chop up a 995 and other rifles to get an idea.

3. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

Maybe it wouldn't be much of an attraction in places where you can get Hi Point carbines, but I figure there are probably at least several thousand people in places where pistol gripped semi-autos are prohibited that would be interested.

4. Well, I aint the best Photoshop guru, but I was bored at work, so here is what it might look like:

[​IMG]

Of course you would have to move the whole trigger mechanism, add a mag well and a way to load it (maybe like a 10/22 rotary cartridge), plus overcome all the problems you would encounter for making the stock longer (increased flex and the such).

5. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

I figure the best thing for this hypothetical it isn't going to happen carbine, would be to stick with the same magazines, and have an extended mag well that would accept the current magazines

6. bikeman

bikeman Guest

What if there were a mount that was just forward of the shroud that would sit kinda like the scope mounts on an MP5. This would allow a red dot between the factory iron sights which would allow simple co-witnessing of all three. It could anchor with the front shroud bolt and maybe the back forearm bolt. Or maybe something like on the SKS and AK scope mounts, from the forward shroud bolt. I bet somebody could photoshop that.

7. bikeman

bikeman Guest

I'm not very good with this drawing stuff, but here is something like what I'm talking about. Something like a SOCOM.

[​IMG]

8. bikeman

bikeman Guest

Oneofsix,
    Thanks for that one. That is in line with what I'm thinking. After seeing that I think I'm going to look at maybe tapping the heatshield and bolting a rail to it. I wonder if it would hold up? Or maybe Bushman could or has make/made an arch for the rail that would sit it level and connect to the heatshield.