carbine troubles

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Winter1998, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

I have a Highpoint 9mm Carbine Model 995TS. It has been a great rifle. But recently I am having a problem getting the chamber to stay open. I want to use my bore sighter and really am unable to at present. Any tips or advice would be welcome

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Is the bolt handle coming unscrewed? It could be that it is loosening enough that the knob isn't able to seat into the recess in the shroud solidly enough.

3. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

No it appears to be tight!

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Try cleaning it.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Is the knob slipping out of the recess when you try to lock the action open? Does it lock open on an empty magazine?

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Are you using the charging handle, or just relying on the Last Round Hold Open?

If you've had it for a while...why use a bore sighter? Did you change the sights?

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

What do you mena exactly?
    Under which conditions?

BTW you're gtting a write up for not posting for two years...;)

8. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

Will try that also.

9. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

Yes it slips out and it does not always stay open on an empty Mag.

10. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

I was playing around and wanted to try different things, scope, red dot. My eyes are not that good anymore.

11. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

when I pull the charging handle it does not keep the chamber open. I have to try several times till I get lucky.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ugh. I know that feeling.:(

Ok...do you mean pull the charging handle fully back with an empty mag in to actuate the Last Round Hold Open?

Or do you mean pull the handle back, and insert the inside edge of the bolt handle into the hole in the shroud?

13. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

I pull the Charging handle back on an empty mag.Trying to actuate Last Round Hold Open. Takes quite a few times to accomplish.

14. pipermac

pipermac Member

Thats interesting as I have never been able to manually lock the bolt open. It only stays open on empty mag.

15. Winter1998

Winter1998 Member

I have an empty mag in it and really won't stay open most times. have to keep repeating till it finally does.

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Have you ever had the breech bolt off? The hold open slot in the bolt might be fowled and blocking the hold open lever.
    How many rounds are through it?

17. tennoldkid

tennoldkid Member

If the mag follower has been tampered with and the ledge in the front is sloped and not nearly level it will not hold open the bolt after last round. Did you take mag apart to reform the follower ? Try to compare it to a new mag. As far is using the charging handle to hole it open, it is easier for me to pull in to to right at the same time as pulling back and it seems to always work better. good luck.

18. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Hey ten, you do realize you resurrected a 2 yr old thread right....
    Welcom btw, from the Great Southwest.