Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a (mostly) city boy with a hp 9mmcomp, wanting to hang out with my country boy friends on their hunting trips. would a hi-point carbine be accepted as a typical hunting rifle or would i look like a tool? :lol:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I asked the same question at one time. Was told.....It depends on what you are hunting. I was going to get a 995 or 4095 to hunt with. Went with a Mosin 91/30 instead. Was cheaper than the 995 and 4095. More powerful and greater range too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooo, i just found some on gunbroker. thats a ww2 beauty! did you get a scope and if so, whered you find it?

also...is it easy to find 7.62x54R ammo?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am going to get my first mosin probably next week... right now, finding 7.62 x 54R is easier than falling out of a boat, and it is cheap, too. That may change in the future, though, so if you get one, I would suggest buying a lot of ammo to keep you shooting. Remember that if you get military surplus ammo, it is almost always corrosive, and the guns require diligent and thorough cleaning to keep them from rusting after firing. Wolf makes some hollow-point rounds good for hunting, as well as FMJ rounds for plinking and practice, that are non-corrosive, though.

As for scoping your mosin, Autosurgeon has pics of his scoped M44 on this thread:

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=10455

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Depends on what your hunting. I know of some guys who claim to use thier 995 for zombies. Me I just hunt paper targets with mine. Occasionally I take out a bottle or a can. I have also been known to use my 995 on an old decrepid copmuter that was just limping along. Felt it was better to put it out of its misery then let some other preditor take it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If hunting varmint get the 995. Be sure not to take aireal shots. From a stand or at something on the ground from ground level is fine

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Depends on State law....

This issue came up a few years ago at THR or the like and I brought it up to our local Ohio Department of Natural Resources guy.... He related to us that the issue of caliber designation comes into play....

From the ODNR website with regards to deer hunting http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx#equipment
handgun with 5-in. minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger
Kennedy related an incident from Southern Ohio where a gentleman was popped for using a 995 for deer because it didn't meet the ".357 or larger" aspect of the law...

This being said, I have used my 995 carbine for groundhogs dozens of times. When I had the 4x on it and used my 88gr handloads it could ding the lil buggers well past 150 yards...

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
IMO the 4095 would be great for small animals, or even a smallish deer if up close and confident of shot placement.

I dont think I would try to take a mule deer out with it at 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Hey some one delete my post in this or did it just disappear..
It was the 4th one.. 'Oh well crazier shite has happened.' Must been a deubg issue.

I am going to use my 995 for close range. Done alot of looking into it.
SC doesnt have a minimum caliber. So bow range I feel will be the most effective..

I have a couple spots back in the woods where max range would be 35 yards. Got some Gold Dots. and I am good at 50 yards.. So we shall see what happens.

Will report the day I get the shot and will let you know how it turned out.

Really thinking hard about getting rid of the redot and going with a compact scope. I have a UAG 4X30 thats shorter then the average scope.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same as everyone else's post here: Check your state laws. Here in Washington, the 9mm caliber is WAAAY to small for big game. The barrel is too short for distance varmint. Most police even switched from 9mm to 40 s&w with their service pistols because it wouldn't stop people.

If you want to hunt, get a hunting weapon. If you want to plink cans, then your hi-point is perfect.

Sean Kelly

·
1,792 Posts
Way back when. You know the Old forum days. Yeah,

well any way. I had posted a link to an article that an ex LEO wrote about his use of the 4095.

He had taken a White tail with it.

Many a member have taken coyote with the 995. Few others have nabbed rabbits.

And sad but very true. a Shooting we all remember all to well a 995 took many a people........ Again sadly.

So to say the carbine would not suffice is very foolish. However to suggest a better suited caliber is not.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I would not own them if they could not fit more purposes than simply putting holes in paper. Multi tasking is the way to go ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So to say the carbine would not suffice is very foolish. However to suggest a better suited caliber is not.
I'm sure it will work, but whether it's smart to or not is completely different. I once lost a friend to a 22 accident. If it shoots, it probably kills. But harvesting a deer or elk with a 9mm is just plain silly. Sure it could work but I'd never do it. Plus it's illegal here in Washington State for that very reason. If you did hit the animal, you'd most likely injure but not kill it. It'll run miles away and die weeks later from infection. A very stupid move and no responsible hunter (LEO or not) would ever do such an inconsiderate thing. Buy a 30-06 or something comparable that'll drop the animal humanely.

Sean Kelly

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
To each their own. Its all about shot placement.

I know people who consistently take deer with .22 rifles. Would I no..

With a 995 spitting out a 9mm round over 1200 FPS yes at a max range of 50yards. Heart or lung shot. most would drop and some may run.. Heck I have shot many a deer with my .270 that have ran. 1 uncoverable.
Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. My brother has a .30-06 and his deer have ran farther then any of mine with the .270

Thats part of the issue these days with all the magnum hunters. They thing its going to compensate for bad shots. Bigger isnt always better

But yes check your statelaws to see what the regs are. South Carolina doesnt have a minimum..

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Have to remember that going down a 16 inch barrel, the 9mm round is going to be more powerful than what is listed for a 9mm pistol as far as performance.

Same with the 4095. I have read that the extra barrel length makes the 40 S&W more like a 10mm round. Would a 10mm round be sufficient for a close range kill shot?

There are plenty of people around here that shoot deer out of season with .22 rifles.

I am sure there are many deer that are just wounded and suffer a painful death, but there are also many deer that are illegally harvested using the tiny rimfire bullet.

If I was hungry, times were tough and I only had one of these carbines, I would get as close as possible and make sure to get a good shot.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
A while back I chrono'd some WWB 9mm from my PT92 and my 995 and found the increase to be not much over 130fps.... With the faster burning pistol powders common to factory 9mm loads most of your velocity is achieved in about the first 5 inches of barrel. The rest of the length of the carbine barrel gives it a bit more "oomph" but not much. I did get better results with handloads using Green Dot as it a slightly slower burning powder. The fun load was when I put together Speer 88gr hollow points and a VERY healthy dose of Unique... These buggers ZING out of the 995 and maintain scoped POI out well past 150 yards... Not something I would take deer with as there is probably very little energy a that distance but they will open up a groundhog very effectively...

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
ooo, i just found some on gunbroker. thats a ww2 beauty! did you get a scope and if so, whered you find it?

also...is it easy to find 7.62x54R ammo?
No scope on it at the moment. I plan on practicing with the iron sites before I put a scope on it. Ammo is very easy to find for it. Still plan on getting a Hi Point carbine though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
would using a hollow point 9mm be more effective at stopping deer? or are hollow points not used because they tear up the meat too much?

would a mosin nagant be a suitable hunting weapon, using 7.62x54?

im very new and ignorant to all this, so bear with me as i try to make sure i dont screw stuff up :wink:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
would using a hollow point 9mm be more effective at stopping deer? or are hollow points not used because they tear up the meat too much?

would a mosin nagant be a suitable hunting weapon, using 7.62x54?

im very new and ignorant to all this, so bear with me as i try to make sure i dont screw stuff up :wink:
Again, check your local laws. In TN, and as far as I know, in most states, you must hunt with hollow-point or soft-point ammo. FMJ loads are illegal to hunt with here, as the bullet is more likely to punch right through the target without expanding, thus rendering an injury less-likely to kill quickly (and thus, more humanely).

Many people use the mosin nagant as a hunting weapon. The 7.62x54R cartridge is suitable for taking most big game. A lot of guys here use them for whitetail and feral pig, with good results.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts