Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, any knowledge on how the 995 classic stock holds up through a hot day in a car trunk?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep lubed and ventilated and you should be good.

I was pondering the thought of building a tiny and and simple rack for it back there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Rides great in the back of the truck cab and keeps on rocking when fired. Temps ranging from +100 in the summer to -30 in the winter. Doesn't seem to effect it in the least.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok i gotta ask, why do you want/need to keep one in the trunk? just to transport it or long term storage, as in "i keep a gun in the trunk" kinda thing??
just curious, not tryin to be a weenie

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was once in a situation where my friends and I were being held up in a parking garage at gun point. I didn't own a gun then, nor did we even take my car. But from then on, I always thought if I had a gun in my trunk, and that we had taken my car, I would have been able to prevent the thugs from robbing my friends. But that's just all the what ifs playing through my head.

Of course it will probably never happen again, so I don't keep one in the car. But I can kinda get why you'd want to keep a gun in the trunk. Plus, if you're ever forced into your trunk, you'd have a pretty nice companion to greet the BG with when they pullover in the middle of no where and tell you to get out so they can kill you. Maybe I'll get a CHL someday if anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
damn that sucks...
a trunk gun just seems to me like a bad idea, the mentality of "wait here i'll get my gun" comes to mind. i recently sold my maadi(ak) to a guy who mentioned it was goin to be a trunk gun......
i'm not even goin anywhere near the legal problems of having to retreive a weapon from a trunk/backseat etc before use of said weapon.
the idea of being in the trunk and having one tucked away, that could be a plus in that situation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok now that we've completely gotten of topic, your carbine should be fine. while it does get really, really hot it shouldn't be a problem.
UV rays would be more of a concern and sittin in the trunk i dont see the need for any sunblock. the old truck style rear window racks were merciless on rifle stock finishes, they would constantly cook on one side. they'd fade on that side and start to dry and crack. most plastic, sorry composite/synthetic stocks can handle the heat with no problem.

can a trunk monkey be installed aftermarket??????

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
yes, right across the border here in AZ, they only have the Spanish speaking model though. i left my stock, stock 995 in my truck while i was at work in August. it hit 121 that day and the inside of the car had to be 20 degrees hotter, have acutally cooked an egg on the hood, anyway i picked it up and the integrity of the stock was noodly for loss of another word, you could actually bend it. they are not that sturdy anyways, took it in the house and checked next day, was back to normal. the heat does have some effect on them.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
You might wanna check because it could be illegal to keep a loaded rifle concealed in your trunk. It may have to be visible and unloaded. Just saying asI dont know you'll just need to check your laws.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Not illegal here, why put up with someone telling you self defense isnt a right?

As for the logic of a truck gun, the same logic for that pistol I carry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
how do figure its the same logic, a carry weapon is with you at all times and there when and if you need it. a gun in the trunk is just that in the trunk, how do you defend yourself when you have to first find the key, then open the trunk, then grab said weapon. all while still being threatened with bodily injury....now try and explain that to the police, who will probably assume if you had that much time to get your gun you should have left the scene....dont get me wrong if you need to defend yourself keep firing till the threat is gone, its just hard to understand trunk gun logic. i dont consider a weapon in the trunk to be a back up weapon. in what situation could you justify it as a second/backup weapon. it still seems like "wait here i'll get my gun".....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When zombies start shambling through the streets I'm gonna have to drive home. Having a gun in the trunk might help that process out.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
how do figure its the same logic, a carry weapon is with you at all times and there when and if you need it. a gun in the trunk is just that in the trunk, how do you defend yourself when you have to first find the key, then open the trunk, then grab said weapon. all while still being threatened with bodily injury....now try and explain that to the police, who will probably assume if you had that much time to get your gun you should have left the scene....dont get me wrong if you need to defend yourself keep firing till the threat is gone, its just hard to understand trunk gun logic. i dont consider a weapon in the trunk to be a back up weapon. in what situation could you justify it as a second/backup weapon. it still seems like "wait here i'll get my gun".....
More like lay here dead while I get my rifle in case you have friends...

Since you cant carry a carbine openly and not suffer constant harassment having it in the truck is the next best thing. And yes the pistol is to get me back to the rifle I would rather have in a bad situation. Dont discount how much goes down while in your vehicle, ever hear of car jacking?

Also there are those rare times when I am able to just use it in unplanned sporting usage, someone wants to go plinking sure Im good to go, varmint causing problems Im good to go. Lastly I just choose to have it there, you do as you wish.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ok. One guy is saying "trunk" gun and the other is saying "truck" gun.
I drive a truck he drives a car. Logic is a beech isnt it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts