Care, Use and CLEANING your C9: Help

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by NovaGuy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    Hi All
    New here and this is my first real post.
    Recently got a C9 (my 1st pistol). Took it to the range a few times. All was well and good. After putting about 100 rounds through it,its starting to jam. Cartridge gets stuck on the ramp. Used two different cartridges, Blazer & Hornady.
    Anyway, I thought maybe it needs to be cleaned. Now the Hi Point manual is very vague on this! Is it cool to run a brush down the barrel from the muzzle side?
    I've searched and googled, but all I find is either a total tear-down, or "follow the manual." Any help from some of you more gun savvy folks out there?

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You can run a brush down the barrel just go all the way through before you pull back. You can spray the inside of the the pistol with a action cleaner then lube it back up. Wipe your mags down to.

3. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I could but I didn't really know for sure. That's why I'm here :)
    Don't have a spray, but I have Hoppes solvent & lube

4. Hoppes will do just fine.

5. You can also use a bore snake and go in thru the breach end

6. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    I looked into those. I heard a lot of pros & cons.....

7. Often times after 25-30 rounds with any of my guns at the range I will lock the slide back and look at the feed ramp. If it's dirty I will clean it with my pinkie. Or , of you prefer take a cotton swab and clean it with that.

Do you have more than one magazine? Does it happen with both?

Make sure after you load your magazine(s) to tap the back against the palm of your hand to make sure the rounds are seated.

Let us know how you do.

Dave

8. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    I ran my pinky over the ramp and it was FILTHY! Thats how I figured it was time to clean.
    I have two mags and alternate between them to try to break them both in. I cannot say with certainty that it happened with both, but knowing me I would indeed try it with both- especially after problems with one.
    Can just that bit of grime on the ramp actually bind the nose of a cartrige and stop it from loading???
    That's what it seems like is happening (says my mechanical background), but again, my lack of experience.
    I will also try the "smack" technique :) Thanks!

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If it still shoots it doesn't need cleaned. ;)
    I've repaired more guns that have been screwed up by owners constantly taking them apart to clean then I have dirty guns. :)

10. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    I don't wanna take it apart- yikes!
    But it was jamming.

11. I just spray clean my C9 with Rem Oil after shooting..I have a cleaning kit, with my pistol range bag, but haven't used it yet.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sometimes, yes. HP handguns are notorious for having rough feed ramps with machine marks that can sometimes look so bad they are mistaken for chatter. And, on top of that, the ramps are coated (usually). Many people who have the same problem you are experiencing will polish the feed ramp.

This is usually best accomplished by removing the slide, but you can do it without if you're careful.

Just use progressively finer sand paper and work the feed ramp along the length until you remove the machining marks. It doesn't have to be mirror finish but you should be able to run your fingernail down it, applying pressure, and not feel it catch. Whether or not you leave the slide on or take it off, stuff a clean rag down into the magazine cavity in the grip. Stuff it down in from the top. This is just to prevent detritus from the sanding from getting into the action. It will take 5 times longer if you try to do it through the ejection port, but it is (technically) possible.

If you're good with a Dremel, you can carefully polish through the ejection port. Just don't change the profile of the feed ramp. Only polish. Use a Dremel with care. There's an old saying about a Dremel in the hands of an amateur gun smith being the best friend of a professional gunsmith; keeps him employed. ;)

If you don't want to polish the feed ramp (which most people don't have to do), you can just try a bit of lube on the feed ramp and then shoot, shoot, shoot. Over time the rounds traveling up the feed ramp will tend to wear a path (fill in, really). Just deal with the jams when they happen. But that would annoy the bejeezies out of me, personally.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    Thanks for the advice. I will try cleaning and lube first. I love taking things apart and modding them, but I'll hold off till I have more gun knowledge. Small steps.

My concern is that if I NEED the gun, will it fire. Kinda shook my confidence, ya know?

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I understand. The problem is most likely just that you are still in the break in period. This may require a couple hundred rounds before all smooths out and starts working reliably. A break-in period of several hundred rounds is common across most handgun models and brands. The c9 model has a few more hiccups then the 45 or 40. Usually it is easily solved by adjusting the magazine for polishing the feed ramp. But I completely understand your hesitancy.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

I love Boresnakes, personally. I'm curious what cons you've heard, the ones I hear are that the thing rubs on and will eventually damage the crown, which I think is ridiculous, it's cloth and brass on steel, the cloth parts simply don't pick up enough metal to become abrasive, and I wash it once in a while regardless.

The other is that they just don't clean very well, which I think could be true, but I don't use a Boresnake for "pre-long term storage/military style cleaning", I use them for the range and for "good enough until I shoot it again next week".:p

As an Army mechanic, I am thoroughly familiar with that technique, as well as its corollary, if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.:D

My technique on the binding was always to just lightly hit the inner lips of the mag with an emery board to smooth them, then wipe the ramp with an oily patch, and then if it still hung up, spread the mags front lips just a touch. Rarely had any repeats of the issue, that way.

When I spread the mags, I try to use needle nose pliers, grab the whole length of the lip with the pliers extending out at 90 degrees in front of the mag, and then twist outward away from the center, so the entire lip spreads evenly, and not just the front half. Takes very little change to make it work.

16. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

The C9 is also very sensitive to a loose grip (limpwristing), but that usually shows as a 'fail to eject' casing stuck in the ejection port.

I have found that a very small amount of synth grease on the slide/frame contact points really helped with the smoothness of operation of my 9mm model C. I also lube my magazine spring & follower with a very light coating of silicone spray. I also lightly sanded with 600 grit or higher, the contact part of the magazine lips where the casings slide forward to ensure there were no burrs for the casings to drag on.

17. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    Wow- thanks for the input! I don't quite understand your comment above, though. Did you mean adjusting the mag AND polishing the ramp??

Is the mag adjustment bending the side wings? (for lack of a better term)

18. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    " hit the inner lips of the mag with an emery board to smooth them, then wipe the ramp with an oily patch, and then if it still hung up, spread the mags front lips just a touch."

Schwing! Great advise. It all seems common sense, but Im used to cars and guitars :)

Bigger hammer.... I have a 2 1/2 pound snap-on ball peen around here somewhere.....

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

20. NovaGuy

NovaGuy Member

Ohio
    OP Follow-up C9 cleaning/jamming

OK- here's the follow up:

I cleaned the gun. It did not seem all that dirty (only put about 100 rounds through it). The ramp was the dirtiest part.
    I did notice some wear on the frame under the slide and on the ramp. I heard the gun was powder coated and am guessing its natural wear.

I oiled everything.

I checked both mags and one of them seemed to have a slight rub at the top compared to the other. I then imperceptible but the feeder lips out. That made them feel about equal. I oiled the mags. I then marked each one #1 & #2 with a sharpie so I could keep better notes going forward.

I cycled some snap-caps through, but they don't have the mass of real ammo, so...
    I loaded a mag of Blazers and cycled one into the chamber- no problems.

Next step, go back to the range and see what happens with another 50 rounds or so. Stay tuned....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015