carrier problems, for shipping. anyone have issues?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by talon, Apr 16, 2014.

1. talon

talon the banned wagon

So, last week i sent my Mosin Nagant on to its new owner, it shows it left the area on wednesday the 9th. was supposed to be delivered on Friday the 11th. then it changed to Tuesday the 15th, after for no given reason, being held in Illinios for several days. well, the delivery date came and went and it has still not arrived, and checking the confirmation number it simply states ''IN ROUTE''.

i called the carrier and was told ''it says its in route, so, its on its way. we dont know why it was held over at the last checkpoint at this time." after some discussion i was also told ''no claims can be made until at least 30 days after the scheduled delivery date has come and went''.

obviously, the new owner isnt happy, totally understandable, and neither am i, nor is the FFL who sent it out.

has anyone ever experienced this sort of shipping delays? if so, what reason if any, was given for why.

i hate to look like the bad guy here, ive done everything properly, i know its the carriers fault at this point, but, that doesnt make it any easier for the new owner to accept.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Wait...an FFL sent it to an FFL?

That could go USPS. Did he use UPS?

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

it went USPS, but regardless, the delivery date keeps being bumped up, and now has past the last date given. as of right now, checking the confirmation number, it says ''expected delivery April 15, 2014". looking at the 'where it is' chart, shows ''in transit''. and the buyer says it has not been delivered yet. nor c0uld the person on the phone confirm its whereabouts other than ''on its way'', nor why it has been delayed for so long.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, that is bothersome.

Did you insure?

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

absolutely. it really bothers me, because i have a stellar reputation on Ebay, and other forums, for all transactions ive ever made. This is the first time ive shipped a firearm, and its the first time ive ever had a potentially negative sales experience.

i completely understand the buyers being upset, i would certainly be too, just sucks that it is totally out of my control at this point.

6. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Keep us posted.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I was picking up my C9 compensator yesterday, and in comes the Fed Ex guy. The LGS owner was giving the driver the business about a gun that he was supposed to have received last Friday & he had not received it yet.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have also always shipped through a local FFL. Never a problem.

It could be that, for some reason, for a few days on either side of yesterday, USPS is expecting far heavier volume than normal. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

im just getting violently angry at this point. called the post office again this morning, waited on hold for 47:14 before the guy on the other end tells me ''im checking now....it appears to be in transit, thats all the information i have for you''. so i tell him ''you seriously mean to tell me, i sat on hold for almost an hour, for you to simply read me the same screen that i am looking at on my own computer?'' his reply ''well sir, if you checked on your own computer, then why did you call to check on its where abouts?''.

10. Do you have any real small post offices in your area?

I hate dealing with USPS customer service, and the larger offices.

But we have a few real small post offices with one person working them. and they are a hundred times easier to deal with with. they will look into what's going on and try to call more people to find out.

hate to say it, but on the phone with USPS you will keep getting the same results "its in transit"

11. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

For the most part, I haven't had many problems with USPS - actually fewer than I have had with UPS and FedEx. But I've had 2 packages in the last year that inexplicably just 'disappeared' for a time, then eventually showed up at the destination - and each one was for an Ebay sale using their priority shipping (2-3 day delivery). What's odd is that, like you, my tracking info never updated until the package was actually delivered, then I saw the full picture. In one case, I shipped from Oregon to L.A. - the package ended up going to Texas and sitting there, for days, then it got re-routed back to the proper path. The second package was a very similar situation - it was supposed to go north to Seattle, but took a slight detour to the East Coast before it got there. Eventually each package arrived, just very late. I kept in contact with my buyers each day to let them know I was doing what I could but that it was in the hands of the USPS, which was out of my control. Each buyer understood.

Considering the volume of packages and mail these folks deal with, I'm not entirely surprised when this happens from time to time. But in reality, about 98-99% of my packages get where they should go in the time promised. I don't know if I can ever expect 100%, so I'll simply insure the bigger items and just keep my fingers crossed. So far, I've never lost a package.

I forgot another that was sent to me that was delayed quite a bit - in the end, it turned out the shipper got one number wrong in the ZIP code and that's what caused the delay. It seems any error in the address can really slow things down while they try to sort it out.

I hope yours gets moving again soon.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  12. NWPatriot

NWPatriot Member

One more to share regarding a carrier (UPS I think) - we get a lot of packages shipped to us at work from various vendors around the country. Last year we had a rush order for one of our customers for some items coming from the east coast. Days later the package had not arrived and the shipping info wasn't updating. Eventually the tracking page was updated and said 'train derailed'. Nothing more. We ended up ordering the parts again and filing a claim with the carrier. At no point in time did the carrier ever notify us of what happened beyond the two words on the tracking page.

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

I'm definitely in constant contact with the buyer, and doing all i can to try and keep him from getting more upset. not so sure its working, but im trying!

as for talking to a local post office, thats very hard for me to do, because of my work hours. my local post office (home town is 1000 people) is only open 1230-400pm so i pick up my mail maybe once a week if i can leave at the very last second to get to work, and the larger post office, where the package actually was sent via, from the FFL gave the FFL the same response, stating that they only know what the computer tells them too, they dont have any more in depth information.

have no choice but to wait it out at this point, i guess.

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

Good news! Its in the right state now at least. "transferred to shipping partner", whatever that means, but first actual sign of movement in a week.

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Yah..... At least they're acknowledging the item is around... Positive step!

16. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

If you don't pay to ship it certified or overnight they honestly can't tell you more. They do not have that information available. We have issues every so often with our bills and checks at work but that's why we pay certified for expensive ones

17. I've had stuff delayed or held for different reasons. I ship all handguns 2nd day air and have had it take a extra day. Or a package held in IL for a week or two because they ripped the packaging and wrapped some USPS tape around it.

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Been some bad weather that could have delayed it, trucks break down and can add a day or two, the disgruntled over paid postal worker could have tossed it at a conveyor and it landed on the floor and sat there for a couple days...

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

It says expected delivery tomorrow now, so keeping my fingers crossed.

20. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

not to mention the ones that crash into busses and burst into flames! those packages may be a bit delayed....:p