Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a holster for my Hi-point 45, and thus comes questions when it comes to carrying it.

Fairly new to gun ownership, and have yet to carry anything. So I'm curious as how some of you might carry your Hi-points.

One of the things I feel a bit uncomfortable with is that to carry it loaded, the only thing you have is the manual safety and a SA trigger pull that keeps the gun from firing. Does that keep those of you who carry Hi-points from carrying it cocked and locked?

Another thing regarding that, is does keeping the gun cocked for long periods of time put significant wear on any parts or springs? Also how long can I keep a magazine loaded without worrying about wearing out the spring on those?

Sorry if these are things covered before, and thanks for any answers I might get.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I suppose that the post is inactive as it's been answered elsewhere.

But, I also have wondered if keeping the spring in a constantly cocked position is a problem.

Just to be on the safe side, if mine is not loaded, I let the hammer down and store it that way.

My cop friends rotate their magazines regularly, keeping three loaded and one empty just for the reason that it weakens the spring.

FWIW, the local gun store owner said that a friend of his had kept his Glock magazines loaded and unfired (!) for three years. When he went to the range with the gun store guy, he said that the gun fired the first round and misfed at least every other round after that.

Buy extra mags and rotate them after they're broken in.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The only thing that will weaken the mag spring is repeatedly loading and unloading the mag.

I can't say if keeping the gun cocked and locked will hurt any sprimngs. I can tell you that if it does, HiPoint will repair it free of charge and throw in a free mag for your troubles.

I carry my C9 locked and loaded. If the time ever came for me to need it, the only thing I want to have to fumble with is the safety. I don't want to waste time trying to chamber a round.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't say if keeping the gun cocked and locked will hurt any sprimngs. I can tell you that if it does, HiPoint will repair it free of charge and throw in a free mag for your troubles.
I thought about that too. The only concern with that is that if the Hi-Point is your only SD weapon, the weeks that it's at the factory, I don't have a weapon.

Of course, Hi-points are inexpensive enough that you could buy another to fill the gap. 8)

Fairbairn, in his book Shooting To Live recommends carrying the 1911 with an empty chamber. Also, I noticed on Hi-Point's website that they recommend carrying with an empty chamber, they say something like, "It doesn't take any longer to jack the slide than to flip the safety." That's lawyer-speak BS. Plus, if I have to jack the slide, how am I going to do that one handed while a BG has his forearm on my throat?

That said, I have a friend who shot himself in the butt cheek carrying his SA 1911 cocked and locked. The chick that was with him in his truck flipped out, and he has a scar that make for a good campfire story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I carry my C9 cocked and locked. I sent it to the factory a few weeks ago as I just got it (used) and was having a few cycling issues. It took them less than a week to get it back to me. Got a nice little note and an extra mag. Gun cycles and fires flawlessly now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Biggest carry tip for HP is dont. Love both mine but I like to have a hammer on a gun I carry just for safety. HP is a wonderful glove box, and night stand gun, but there are better choices almost as reasonable as a HP to carry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts