Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll. I'm a legal CCW permit holder. I normally carry a .38 SPL S&W snubby because NC is HOT in the summer, but I have to go out of town on business and I'll be wearing a suit and tie (I hate suits and ties). And....the boss will only pay for a pretty rough hotel near the airport in Charlotte, NC. My C9 runs well if you keep it oiled with Safariland CLP, and is darn near rust-proof when kept clean. However, given Charlotte's reputation of making the "deadliest city" list (Source: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article199620439.html), I'm not going disarmed. I'll be disarmed on the job site (which is cool for me--they have an armed security guard at the front gate) and I have a Hornady locking case to keep it in my truck, tethered to the seat frame when I'm on the job.

I'm getting conflicting stories from buddies and "gun shop commandos" about the safety of the C9. The same crowd was WRONG about my C9's reliability--5 boxes of 115 grain HPs through it at the range and hasn't jammed since. So, is the Hi Point C9 safe to carry cocked and locked (one in the chamber with the safety on) or should I keep the chamber empty and the magazine full? I'm going to ya'll be cause as owners you're the experts on all things related to the C9.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
I would never trust my life to a C-9 safety. Pull the grip and see that it's just a stamped piece of tin resting in a recess. Only thing keeping it from dropping on it's own is a bit of friction and a miraculous lack of gravity.

Reactions: SWAGA and adam01364

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cicpup. That puts things in perspective. If the safety isn't 99% reliable, I don't want a round up the pipe. I'll probably carry it with mag loaded, but chamber empty (Thanks hi point for putting in the loaded chamber indicator--the hole near the extractor). I have some plastic dummy ammo...time to practice working the slide after drawing it from the holster.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Hello all. I'm iffy about carrying the HPs with a round in the chamber too. I don't like carrying "dead man guns" so, unless I'm in the woods, I don't carry my HPs. I'd use a kydex holster behind your hip a bit if you're going to carry with a round in the chamber. If you have a AD/ND, it'll PROBABLY not hit your body.

I get what you need though. I had carried my Star BM on hot Missouri Summer Day and I ruined the bluing on the side that was against my body. The HP would be fine...Zamak doesn't rust very much.

I cant wait to see the new HP. I want one..badly.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
what do you guys think about leaving a HP bouncing around in the glove box with a round in the chamber? I just read in another thread that the safety on the HP might not be that strong? I used to carry my HP carbine around in the Zuk sometimes with a loaded round, but I am thinking now it might be a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
what do you guys think about leaving a HP bouncing around in the glove box with a round in the chamber? I just read in another thread that the safety on the HP might not be that strong? I used to carry my HP carbine around in the Zuk sometimes with a loaded round, but I am thinking now it might be a bad idea.
It PROBABLY wouldn't go off. I'm just not comfortable with a compressed spring firing pin held back by a sheet metal safety. I DO wish that the safety was bigger or had a aftermarket sleeve so, it was more positive feeling.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
You mean in this thread.... in post #2?

I personally EDC a G20 with one in the pipe. No "safety" to speak of and it rides in the center console of the burban if it's not on my hip. Granted it does stay in a holster to keep anything from bumping that "perfect" trigger.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
haha I guess it was in this thread! :) I also do the same with my Glocks and never worry when in the holster:)

when I was 12 my brother and I was out pheasant hunting the fence rows and we had a sweet 16 riding between us in the old 55 Ford...Bro hit a bump and the shotgun went off blowing a hole in the back window with my ears ringing! I later found out that can happen with older shotguns, and after reading that post I started thinking this safety mechanism might also be subject to certain failures.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
Hi ya'll. I'm a legal CCW permit holder. I normally carry a .38 SPL S&W snubby because NC is HOT in the summer, but I have to go out of town on business and I'll be wearing a suit and tie (I hate suits and ties). And....the boss will only pay for a pretty rough hotel near the airport in Charlotte, NC. My C9 runs well if you keep it oiled with Safariland CLP, and is darn near rust-proof when kept clean. However, given Charlotte's reputation of making the "deadliest city" list (Source: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article199620439.html), I'm not going disarmed. I'll be disarmed on the job site (which is cool for me--they have an armed security guard at the front gate) and I have a Hornady locking case to keep it in my truck, tethered to the seat frame when I'm on the job.

I'm getting conflicting stories from buddies and "gun shop commandos" about the safety of the C9. The same crowd was WRONG about my C9's reliability--5 boxes of 115 grain HPs through it at the range and hasn't jammed since. So, is the Hi Point C9 safe to carry cocked and locked (one in the chamber with the safety on) or should I keep the chamber empty and the magazine full? I'm going to ya'll be cause as owners you're the experts on all things related to the C9.
The striker is in a fully compressed, ready to fire, condition if there is a round in the chamber. The sear is a ledge or "tooth" of steel, as in most firearms when in "single action, cocked" condition. The safety on Hi Point firearms is designed to prevent the trigger from being pulled, not to prevent the sear from being released. Nor is there a "firing pin block" type device as there is in a Glock, or Series 80 1911. If the sear on a Hi Point firearm is worn, defective, or improperly serviced, the safety will not prevent it from slipping and firing, much like the sear on your revolver. If you cock it to single action and the sear is worn, defective, or you screwed up a "trigger job" then a bump might cause the sear to slip and fire your revolver. Same with HP guns. My understanding is that the safety on a 1911 series 70 is also a trigger block, not a hammer block, and 1911's are carried "cocked & locked" condition 1 with regularity.

There is some hesitation in many people's minds as to the quality of materials on HP guns (compared to, say, a 1911) which makes them reluctant to carry a HP in condition 1.

That said, I have not heard of a HP in good working order which had a Unintended Discharge due to a worn or defective sear. Botched, DIY, dremel trigger jobs, on the other hand...

Personally, if all I had for CC was a C9, I would not feel bad carrying it condition 1.

YMMV

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
The safety on Hi Point firearms is designed to prevent the trigger from being pulled, not to prevent the sear from being released.
Not really. If you look at it you'll see that it's shaped so that when in safe position it blocks the left post on the sear preventing the sear from dropping. In fire position there's a notch that allows the sear to drop. It only prevents the trigger from being pulled by preventing the sear to move. My problems with the design is I've had older HPs where the safety was worn enough to slip out of safe on their own. Also, if the left grip isn't perfectly seated the safety can slip out of the recess it sits in to where it still looks fine but won't stop the sear.

Reactions: lklawson and Bertus

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I'm not sure about the life span of the High Point firing pin spring if kept in a cocked/compressed position (it reminds me of a Bic Pen spring). My High Power (the OTHER HP) or my 1911 has a hammer spring designed to be compressed for a long time....and I still don't keep them like that, unless I'm on the street.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
You mean in this thread.... in post #2?

I personally EDC a G20 with one in the pipe. No "safety" to speak of and it rides in the center console of the burban if it's not on my hip. Granted it does stay in a holster to keep anything from bumping that "perfect" trigger.
Indeed.
With a drop safety and an internal striker block, it would take a MAJOR event to make the Glock go off without the trigger being pressed. I can't think of any reason not to keep an EDC Glock red. Holstered, that trigger isn't going anywhere.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Indeed.
With a drop safety and an internal striker block, it would take a MAJOR event to make the Glock go off without the trigger being pressed. I can't think of any reason not to keep an EDC Glock red. Holstered, that trigger isn't going anywhere.
Well, that picture of the dude who got a 9mm gauge piercing in his ass cheek for carrying with a holster that let his shirt bunch up in the trigger guard convinced me to make sure I had a proper holster.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Well, that picture of the dude who got a 9mm gauge piercing in his ass cheek for carrying with a holster that let his shirt bunch up in the trigger guard convinced me to make sure I had a proper holster.
You're damn right. If the holster fits properly, there won't be any shirt material getting in there.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I’d stick with your snubbie and a speed loader or two.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I'd stick with your snubbie and a speed loader or two.
I have to agree with this. I like my C9 a lot but I've never attempted to carry it open or concealed. When I read the original post the first thing that occurred to me was how tough it would be to carry the C9 concealed. Not that the safety isn't a concern. I just can't get past trying to covertly carry a C9. It has to weigh more than the snub. And I know it's bulkier and would print more than any snub.
On a separate but related note I was in Charlotte in 2011 to see Motorhead. What I didn't know until I got there was that it was also Final Four weekend. I don't like going to Atlanta but I'll take Atlanta any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Charlotte.
I've read most of this thread and seen comments about Glocks, 1911s and even Hi Powers. I like all of those. I have an ATI 1911 now which is built to series 70 specs. So technically I don't believe it's drop safe. If I had to conceal anything I own right now I would have to go with my 709 Slim. I like the trigger and the short reset. Not to mention the manual safety. For a carry gun just to ME I think a traditional DA/SA hammer fired gun is hard to beat. But since the OP has a snub and C9 to work with at the moment I have to say carry the snub on your person and lock the loaded C9 in the aforementioned lock box in the car and keep it in the motel room at the ready at night.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I have to agree with this. I like my C9 a lot but I've never attempted to carry it open or concealed. When I read the original post the first thing that occurred to me was how tough it would be to carry the C9 concealed. Not that the safety isn't a concern. I just can't get past trying to covertly carry a C9. It has to weigh more than the snub. And I know it's bulkier and would print more than any snub.
On a separate but related note I was in Charlotte in 2011 to see Motorhead. What I didn't know until I got there was that it was also Final Four weekend. I don't like going to Atlanta but I'll take Atlanta any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Charlotte.
I've read most of this thread and seen comments about Glocks, 1911s and even Hi Powers. I like all of those. I have an ATI 1911 now which is built to series 70 specs. So technically I don't believe it's drop safe. If I had to conceal anything I own right now I would have to go with my 709 Slim. I like the trigger and the short reset. Not to mention the manual safety. For a carry gun just to ME I think a traditional DA/SA hammer fired gun is hard to beat. But since the OP has a snub and C9 to work with at the moment I have to say carry the snub on your person and lock the loaded C9 in the aforementioned lock box in the car and keep it in the motel room at the ready at night.
I wouldn't worry about the bulk. I've carried full sized pistols in appendix for decades. If you don't want it to "print" it's probably the best position after you check your clothing selection: Baggy but not overly baggy and dark (you don't have to look like Johnny Cash)/ earth tones and you'd be okay.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha I guess it was in this thread! :) I also do the same with my Glocks and never worry when in the holster:)

when I was 12 my brother and I was out pheasant hunting the fence rows and we had a sweet 16 riding between us in the old 55 Ford...Bro hit a bump and the shotgun went off blowing a hole in the back window with my ears ringing! I later found out that can happen with older shotguns, and after reading that post I started thinking this safety mechanism might also be subject to certain failures.
LOL. That reminds me of an old Winchester 1897 pump that I dearly love. My wife complains greatly when I go hunting with it, mainly due to the fact that it has no safety. But man does it make a good dove gun! As long as I keep the chamber empty, and only load it once I find a good spot for doves, I have no worries.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't worry about the bulk. I've carried full sized pistols in appendix for decades. If you don't want it to "print" it's probably the best position after you check your clothing selection: Baggy but not overly baggy and dark (you don't have to look like Johnny Cash)/ earth tones and you'd be okay.
Good point. Will use dark pants and a sport coat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts