Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Shoot nothing but. No problems, no leading worth mentioning.All self cast, shot as cast. Tumble lubed with 50/50

·
Super Moderator
9,966 Posts
All I shoot in my hi points. I prefer the cast truncated cone. Lubed with mule snot. Tried the powder coat route, but it was not practical IMHO. Tumble lubed is much faster and never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Have you tried bullets made from zinc wheelwrights or just cast from lead? I'm thinking about trying both.
Tried zinc ----once. Didn't like them. Too light, no expansion, too too much powder to cycle the slide reliably. Tried them in the wheel guns, too. Slightly better since there's no slide to work, but I still didn't care for the "zoolit". HOWEVER, having said that, in a SHTF world, they beat a sharp stick

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried zinc ----once. Didn't like them. Too light, no expansion, too too much powder to cycle the slide reliably. Tried them in the wheel guns, too. Slightly better since there's no slide to work, but I still didn't care for the "zoolit". HOWEVER, having said that, in a SHTF world, they beat a sharp stick
Wondering how zinc would be in a 380 then? Do you think they would have the same issue? Not necessarily in a Hi Point, but in general.

·
Super Moderator
9,966 Posts
Wondering how zinc would be in a 380 then? Do you think they would have the same issue? Not necessarily in a Hi Point, but in general.
Here is the problem with zinc. First, if you are a fan of Lee Precision, zinc will eat your melting pot and aluminum molds. We melted zinc in a cast iron pot. And used RCBS steel mold that was supposed to drop 147 grain bullets. The zinc bullets it dropped weighed just over 90 grains. Get your melt and molds hot enough and zinc makes pretty bullets.

As to zinc bullets in 380" I think the typical 380 bullitbwould weigh some 40 or 50 grains. . Might be ok for plinking, but penetration would likely suck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the problem with zinc. First, if you are a fan of Lee Precision, zinc will eat your melting pot and aluminum molds. We melted zinc in a cast iron pot. And used RCBS steel mold that was supposed to drop 147 grain bullets. The zinc bullets it dropped weighed just over 90 grains. Get your melt and molds hot enough and zinc makes pretty bullets.

As to zinc bullets in 380" I think the typical 380 bullitbwould weigh some 40 or 50 grains. . Might be ok for plinking, but penetration would likely suck.
That judt saved me a lot of work after the sort, thank you

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Smoke off of zinc can get you a permanent headache. That's why they make welding helmets for working with zinc with a fresh air hose.

Reactions: Rerun and histed

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Smoke off of zinc can get you a permanent headache. That's why they make welding helmets for working with zinc with a fresh air hose.
Lead fumes don't improve your health either. In the shop, both doors open, two 26" fans running. If it's too cold for that, it's too cold to cast

Reactions: Rerun

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
Not so fast, Trashy...
I've welded on galvanized steel a LOT. Yes, we always preferred to weld in open air, or used a fan. The air hose hoods are just recently becoming commonplace. The remedy for zinc smoke inhalation is to drink milk, cow's milk.

In short, its prolly not as bad as you have heard

• Angry
Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,020 Posts
Not so fast, Trashy...
I've welded on galvanized steel a LOT. Yes, we always preferred to weld in open air, or used a fan. The air hose hoods are just recently becoming commonplace. The remedy for zinc smoke inhalation is to drink milk, cow's milk.

And this is why he be tarded^^^^^^.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Not so fast, Trashy...
The air hose hoods are just recently becoming commonplace.

Air hose hoods were around in 1970 and earlier. I learned about them in shop class when I was in the 8th grade.............

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
Air hose hoods were around in 1970 and earlier. I learned about them in shop class when I was in the 8th grade.............
It's old, sure, but I said commonplace.

What you have now are battery powered and self contained, usually Lithium Ion batteries. Enough power to last a whole shift.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
It's old, sure, but I said commonplace.

What you have now are battery powered and self contained, usually Lithium Ion batteries. Enough power to last a whole shift.
I where is the intake located?

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I can't post a link because it was some time ago, but I saw a youtube video from a guy who tried to melt zinc in a Lee 20 pound furnace and it blew a hole right through the bottom. I too thought they would be way too light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts