Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these on you tube. the guy did a very nice job and i though they would make a nice addition here for folks that are just getting into bullet casting.

part 1

part two

common mastakes/issues

How to tumble lube.

I hope you guys found these as useful as i did.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Robert, Very GOOD videos. Very good information. I buy my lead bullets right now, but when I can find any WWs I'll be watching your videos a lot more. keep making more GREAT videos. :yes: ;)

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I do know the man that made the videos but just to clear up some confusion that is not me in any of em. I met him a few years back in the snadbox good guy and very knowledgable.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've never tumbled loaded ammo but most everything I've read recomends not doing it. Some do report tumbling loaded ammo without any bad results. When i've seen it debated it has always been the do not do it folks use theory to support their position and the folks that do tumble say it hurts nothing.

Wither way I would not use mineral solvents with loaded ammo because if it does seep into the powder it will ruin it in all probability.

My question is... Why tumble loaded ammo? To what purpose?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've cast and lubed over 15,000 boolits, reloaded over 6,000, and shot over 4,000. I've never seen the need to clean the small amount of alox of the noses of the bullets after loading. If it makes you feel better to do so then by all means do so but it is a totally extra and unnecessary step. Find some lead 22LR rounds and feel the nose and you'll find alox. The minute amount of alox that adheres to the boolit nose harms nothing and I do not worry with removing it. Only problem you'll ever possibly encounter with alox is buildup of it in the boolit seating die causing it to seat the boolits to deeply. This is fixed by swabbing out the die with a Q-Tip soaked in mineral spirits.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Shoot some 308 ,22-250,223 or just about any rifle load and you will find out when you look at your spent brass,case lube not bullet lube causes the cases to deform under pressure when fired. that is why he tumbled them to clean the cases!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the only rounds i feel it nessesary to clean the bullet noses is my 30 caliber match bullets. otherside they are run as is.

tumbling rounds after loading to clean them if a hotly contested thing. i dont cause i feel it may alter the powder burn characteristics. others dont think so. i wipe them down after sizing and then load.

SW

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
To clarify my earlier post, I reload for 45acp and 9mm, use carbide dies and do not lube the cases so no need to tumble or wipe to remove case lube. I was speaking only to the removal of alox from the boolit nose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.