Cast lead reloads

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by histed, May 18, 2014.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

OK, this probably exists on the forum somewhere, but I can't find the thread. So, here goes. Anyone here shoot cast through a Hi Point? Any problems or quirks I should beware of? The short version of this is that Hi Point C9 or 380 are the only two handguns my better half likes to shoot. I now have an excuse to add to my collection, since she wants one for a "house gun." She'll never carry concealed, and I'm OK with that. A C9 for HD works for her, so it works for me. I handload and I cast my own bullets. Right now I'm running a Lee 356-125 2R with 4.6gn of True Blue. Works great in my SCCY, but I've heard that one should not shoot lead in some pistols, so I ask.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Using the hard linotype lead, it should be fine from what I have seen...

MaryB casts her own and has some HPs on board!
    PM her

3. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I shoot cast lead ball in my JH 45. Zero issues

4. The only issues with shooting cast bullets is leading. This usually only occurs in a semi auto when the bullet diameter is smaller than the bore diameter, or very high velocity.

Slug your bore, you may need a 358 mold, clean your barrel very well. Glock recommends against the use of lead for their barrels. They blame the lead for kabooms, I say baloney. Many people think you can shoot a Glock and never clean it. Maybe for jacket or plated but not so for cast bullets. Glock owners also have the tendency to believe their guns are super guns and load as hot as they can go.

I use cast in our Hi Point, and about everything else, but I clean even if I shoot just a few rounds.

5. histed

histed Supporting Member

undeRGround - thanks, I will.
    Walkingwolf, good post. I've been casting and loading them a while, so I knew about slugging, but it's good advice. My SCCY like .357, but mine drop .358 - .3585.I'll slug her's when I get it to make sure. You say you clean after "a few" rounds - what's "a few"? I tend to clean after each range session or about 250-300 rounds.

6. Win94ae

Win94ae Member

I cast for the Hi-Point JHP 45acp; I needed to use the Lee 452-200-SWC because the Lee 452-200-RF would get stuck in the rifling. If I would try to eject a live chambered cartridge, it would pull the bullet.
    I'm sure this issue is pistol specific.

I use pure lead bullet at 850fps.

7. Shooting cast I clean after every session, no matter how many rounds I shoot. Even if it is handful. I would say a lot depends to what degree the lead is building up in the barrel. Run a patch with balistol through every 100, see how much lead is on the patch.

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well since I'm moving posts to appropriate categories from the archives, it couldn't hurt to do the same with this one. Tons of cast lead threads there(here) for your perusal histed.

9. undeRGRound

INDY

So you used to be a Mod, for a while, then demoted back to "supporting member", and now you are doing mod's and admin's work by moving posts to archives and such....

Does that make you the Mod's B*tch?

(RGR ducks and runs for the door) :D

10. Rachgier

I'm thinking they are training me to be Talon's filter.....

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Slug the bores first to start. Start low and work up a load that is accurate, don't go for max velocity at the expense of accuracy. I shoot as cast Lee 356-120-TC with LLA and no leading issues, just checked the bore Friday(haven't cleaned for 500 rounds) and no issues other than it is starting to get some carbon buildup. I cast an alloy of 4 pounds pure lead and 1 pound of foundry type for a composition of

Mixed Alloy Tin % Antimony % Arsenic % Copper % Silver % Lead % Weight Est. Hardness
    3.00% 4.60% 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% 92.4% 5.0 13.7

12. undeRGRound

INDY

Is that how it formats out, MaryB?
    The forum skews the figures one way, and the email skews it another.
    I LOOKED Like 5% Silver and I was going to chew on you a little bit for wasting STACK! Unless you have werewolves up there in Minn-Sota ;)

13. undeRGRound

INDY

Then I vote we give you a RAISE!
    At least 6 figures, and bennies :D (health ins. and retirement)

14. Rachgier

I'll settle for a 995, a 4595, and 15 mags each.

15. histed

histed Supporting Member

Rachgier - thanks for moving this and the advice. Still learning my way around here.
    MaryB - disregard the 2nd PM, question answered here and much thanks. Gotta try that alloy, it'll save my COWW for other things

16. Rachgier

No problem man. I learned a TON about reloading before I even went out and bought my first press by lurking around here. There is a lot of reloading knowledge floating around this section and in the minds of a few of the crazy people.

17. histed

histed Supporting Member

There is a lot of reloading knowledge floating around this section and in the minds of a few of the crazy people
    You say that like its a bad thing ;)

18. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

sounds like more of a job than one man can handle.

19. silverboolit

silverboolit Member

go to castboolits forum. lots of knowledge there.

20. histed

histed Supporting Member

Thanks SilveerB - Hangout there quite a bit and you are right on! Just needed some HP specific info and thought this was the place fer it - I'z right, too