Caving in to the 'Entitlement Mentality'

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hermitt, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

....and it continues..... This is ludicrous... :mad:

A 21-year-old woman from New Jersey, who had sued her divorced parents to pay her college tuition, filed a motion this week asking the court to fine them $100 a day for contempt of court until they ante up.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...hter-s-Tuition-She-Wants-Them-Fined-100-a-Day

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

How can you be held liable for decisions your 21 year old is making?.... Especially if they aren't playing by your rules...... This is the epitome of liberal horsecrap!

3. Hermitt

Not only that... but the father that is being 'forced' to pay hasn't been part of the girl's family since she was 4 years old! :eek:

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's just totally ridiculous. The judge should be ashamed, the people in charge of him should be fired along with him, the grandparents should pay all legal fees for everyone, and that girl needs a spanking, and a pile of hours of community service.

Here's a question...if she ever graduates, if you were hiring, would you hire her?

5. Bull

I'm sure the ACLU is beating her door down...... She's just their type....

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Nope wouldn't hire the drama queen.

7. moona11

The judge should put them all in the state hospital for the welfare of the state. Shock therapy anyone

8. Hermitt

Someone should give that judge some shock therapy.....

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

IIRC, when this first went to court, the parents said they'd still take her back into their home, even after this crap happened.

If the daughter wants nothing to do with them, then no "healing" can take place. Hell, they raised her, and this is how she turned out, you think she'll just change overnight? Even if she moved back in with them and tried having a relationship with them again, will they truly ever be able to heal after this? Sometimes the only way to heal is by moving on with your life and forgetting about the past.

10. Bull

What the hell happened to kids being their own entities after 18?....... I can't claim them once they turn 17 on income tax, but I HAVE to pay for their college?....... Now where not near the same.... I'm stuck paying child support on my oldest daughter for at least one more year.... Even though her Mom pays for nothing, and keeps the child support money....
    I'm really tired of all this progressive thinking BS, that ain't doing nothing but making a generation of slackers even more so.

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Due to possible NSA, FBI, ATF, IRS, and DHS monitoring I will not tell you all what I think should happen to the judge in this case. I don't think anyone in the Federal government knows the difference between voicing an opinion and real threat. Lets just say the judge is wrong.

12. moona11

To late they planted a mind reading device on this forum so they know what's going on in your head. Like Underwearstain is thinking nut I like nuts :-D

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I want to agree. But I can't. It turns out that the Judge was just doing exactly what we've been asking Judges to do all along: Do Not Legislate From The Bench. Rule on the case according to the law, not what you wish the law would have been.

In this case in particular, that took balls.

You know who should be fired? NJ Legislature who passed the laws which required this ruling.

Absolutely.

Depends on the business. She's kinda cute. She might have a "film" career if the above mentioned spankings were involved. ;)

Other than that? No. Loyalty counts for way too much to ever take a risk on someone, anyone, who'd do this.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Really? You have that big a problem with Judges to refuse the opportunity to Legislate From The Bench?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Turns out that they're not actually "Adults" in NJ, except that they can enjoy all the other legal advantages of being an Adult without necessarily having all the drawbacks of being an Adult, thanks to some laws that NJ passed. It's not the Judge's fault.

Apparently Newburgh v. Arrio found that parents were responsible for the college tuition of their unemancipated children and in New Jersey becoming an adult doesn’t automatically trigger Emancipation.

While I blame this specific case on the young woman, I find that I cannot blame the Judge for the ruling, at least not without being a hypocrite. The Judge was asked to rule on this case based upon the current body of Law. The Judge was not asked to rule upon the merit of the law in question, nor whether he believed it to be Just law, or even a Constitutional Law (under the NJ State Constitution).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Bull

Chock NJ up as another state you couldn't pay me to live in........ That sucks balls!....

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Sorry I did not have time to read the full article.

18. Hermitt

Isn't this also the state that 'Progressive' Bruce whatshisface lives in?

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Bah! I was just poking the bear. ;) Most of the articles, including the linked above, fail to mention that this case has Precedent and, though morally objectionable, is (apparently) legally sound in the bizarro world of NJ.

Most of us, myself included, read of this and an earlier case and thought, "an adult is suing her parents for $$$? how can this be?" But when it keeps happening, that generally means that there might be some sort of legal standing or precedent for it. So I went out and hunted to find what it is. Most of the stories fail to include this legal reasoning because 1) it's boring 2) it doesn't have the shock value of "ungrateful entitled adult brat sues parents for undeserved $$$."

It just didn't make sense.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. Bull

Most likely...... I don't like him either!.