Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty I haven't messed with CB before, but it seems like it would be a pretty reliable communication method if SHTF or if I'm driving down the road with multiple people and want to stay in communication with them. Normally I've used the 2-mile and whatnot handheld radios but they maybe have 5% of the range they claim to have. Even the 13 mile ones I've never gotten to work even to 1 mile.

Anyway, here's my situation: I don't want to do any sort of permanent mounting in my car, I'd rather have one I can move about between using at home and using in my vehicle. I'd like to have an ACTUAL range of 5 miles or so (if that's possible, if not, what range can be expected?) and be able to use batteries along with external power. If I need to I can buy a set for home and a set for the vehicle if it doesn't sound like one thing will work well. Any of you guys have personal experience with a set that will do what I'm looking for?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I dunno but I have a ac/dc converter that has terminals on it for hooking wires to it. I use it too hook up car stereos in my house with aligator clips, I bet it would cwok fine for a CB radio. Or you culdjust use an old computer power supply, Ive dont it and it works too. For in the car I bet you could wire something up easily with a cigarette lighter adapter.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
For the 2-way radios range, it all depends on where you are, if you were in an area that was flat without obstructions they could theoretically go forever.

I want to get into CB but I can't find a place that sells 'em...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
For the 2-way radios range, it all depends on where you are, if you were in an area that was flat without obstructions they could theoretically go forever.

Look for them at salvation army or good will stores used ones are practicly free. I think I might get one too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Radio Shack

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't want to do any sort of permanent mounting in my car, I'd rather have one I can move about between using at home and using in my vehicle.
industrial strength velcro
Roger that good buddy. They used to make a floor mount that just sat there and also they do have magnetic antennas. 10-4 and keep the shiny side down. Catch you on the flip-flop and watch out for the Smokies.

·
Registered
581 Posts
pretty relieable for 3 to 5 miles in most areas, more in flat and open areas. that is for mobile units, with a home base and antania, 12 to 15 in the day time night with the skip rolling it is almost unlimited. a home sterio power sorce will work for most of them just fine. and you can just throw it on the seat if nothing else, and a plug for the liter socket will do just fine. have used it that way several time with good results.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
CB is ok for short distance, 5 miles may be stretching it when a heavy skip is in. Best bet is go get your Amatuer radio license and you can get out a whole lot further.

Go to Radio Shack or a radio shop at a truck stop. Remember you need a GOOD antenna K40 or a Wilson are the 2 best or the real best antenna is a 102" steel whip antenna mounted on a ball mount Base ant. is an Antron 99. Whatever you do don't buy a radio that some goon has put his "golden screwdriver" in and says he uppped the power and it gets out 100 watts or legal power is 4 on AM and 12 on Sideband [SSB].

Yes they have linear amplifiers but are illegal on CB and could get you in a lot of trouble with the FCC also stay away from the ones with "extra channels" these have been modified or export models that will go above and below the leagl CB frequencies.

If you want more info RadioReference.com is a very good place to go sign up and ask all the questions you want anything from scanners CB Ham ect

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
pretty relieable for 3 to 5 miles in most areas, more in flat and open areas. that is for mobile units, with a home base and antania, 12 to 15 in the day time night with the skip rolling it is almost unlimited. a home sterio power sorce will work for most of them just fine. and you can just throw it on the seat if nothing else, and a plug for the liter socket will do just fine. have used it that way several time with good results.
dang jim I aint seen you in the chat for a while. hows it been?

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info ShooterZ, so could I get a set and hook it up to one of those super-duper antennas at my house and get uber distance, then unhook it from that antenna and put it in my car with the antenna it comes with and expect to get about 3 miles? I don't really wanna put a huge antenna on my Yaris, that would look pretty dumb lol.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I once had te idea to velcro a pistol under the dash of my old truck.
you gotta be kidding me....
I am working on that same idea on the accord!

i got it all planned out, its gonna be awesome. just need the damn pistol first

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I once had te idea to velcro a pistol under the dash of my old truck.
you gotta be kidding me....
I am working on that same idea on the accord!

i got it all planned out, its gonna be awesome. just need the damn pistol first
I just need the consealed weapons license, I have the velcro and the pistols.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
They make magnetic mount antennas, just stick to the middle of your car roof, run the wire in through a window or door frame and attach to the radio. For a home base radio, it is best to get a more permanent type antenna placed high as possible. Otherwise, just stick the magnetic mount one as high as possible, a small steel bracket it can stick to could be installed unobtrusively just about anywhere.

Any mobile radio can be run off 12 volts, for home use you can buy an inexpensive 12 volt power supply to plug it into, Radio shack sells them with a standard cigarette lighter type plug. Unplug from the car, carry in and plug into the power supply and antenna and you're on the air. Base station type radios are usually larger and heavier with the power supply built in, they almost always have a 12 volt auxiliary power input plug for running off batteries in an emergency. Handheld walkie talkies are usually lower powered, but a few do run the full 4 watts allowed. If it has a BNC type connector for the antenna (twists on and off) you can adapt it to a regular CB whip antenna. These have the added advantage of running of AA batteries if needed, or a 12 volt cord. You can also take it with you while walking.

Range is usually around 5-8 miles in flat country, hills and trees absorb the signal. You also get "skip", the frequency allows the signal to bounce off the ionosphere and can travel literally hundreds of miles. This presents the situation where you can often talk with someone across the country perfectly fine, but can't hear the guy one county over. "Sideband" radios use a small section of the usual channel frequency width to transmit the signal, this can sometimes double your range especially with the higher wattage allowed.

The main advantage of CB is they are fairly common and everybody has one. The main drawback with CB is they are fairly common and everybody has one. I haven't really listened in years, but there used to be all manner of characters populating the airwaves. Many with illegal amplifiers cranking out thousands of watts, drowning out all other conversations for miles around. Others just rebroadcast music, treat the channel as their own personal soapbox, etc. Watch this movie, it's billed as a comedy but it's pretty much a documentary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076123/

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Thanks for the info ShooterZ, so could I get a set and hook it up to one of those super-duper antennas at my house and get uber distance, then unhook it from that antenna and put it in my car with the antenna it comes with and expect to get about 3 miles? I don't really wanna put a huge antenna on my Yaris, that would look pretty dumb lol.
Yup get a regular cb from Rad shack and get a K40 [magnet mount] and your good to go It's not huge but is will get out better then the cheapo's also get someone to check the match on the antennas so you get optimun performance from it. BTW you'll also get a lot of mexicans smart alecks jerks aholes one there who don't know or care about radio ediquette or really could care less. This is why I like Ham radio 99.9% of the hams are courteous and very helpful [ya don't need to know Morse Code anymore to get your license either]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts