Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one part I hate about working for Uncle Sam is the absolute no carry policy. I hate the fact that I've been background checked repeatedly for my job and my carry license and have proven being proficient in handling my weapon but the policy is applied the way it is. Especially since federal employees have been and are targets of violence.

I know, I know... if it's smart, it isn't government.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
When did this happen, I know plenty of people that CC in the Air Force.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It applies to civilian employees in every non-law enforcement agency that I know of while on federal property.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
Everybody is forbidden from carrying into Federal buildings, and Military installations, Civil Service or not. Are you saying that you are not allowed to carry in places like national forests, etc? If so, would you mind citing a reference for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. I'm talking about my workplace, which is a Federal building. The policy is assinine. Mass shootings never happen at NRA conventions, but they seem to happen constantly in gun free zones. What makes it even more assinine is the fact that employees have and do receive death threats and we deal with some very unstable individuals.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
What you need is a DD Form 357... This is the CC for Federal Employees and is issued from the Department of Justice, just like a Secret Service Agent or other federal LEO. However, you have to justify your reason for carry, or the need to carry.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
Hell, most employers won't allow people to carry while at work This hardly seems like a federal employee issue.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell, most employers won't allow people to carry while at work This hardly seems like a federal employee issue.
There's risk everywhere, but I would reason that there's an elevated level in some occupations. 1) In my area of the country there are groups of people that downright HATE any Feds. 2) Mentally unstable people are regular clients. 3) I can think of several incidents offhand that have involved co-workers which ranged from verbal threats against them and their families to having knives pulled on them on the way out of work.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Try working at a church!
I am not allowed, per my boss & the Pastor(currently a vacant post) to carry in the building.
We have had some unsavory types come in asking for money, gas & food. When we tell them we don't have any to give you, some of them get downright nasty.
With only a dust mop for a weapon I don't feel like I can protect the employees(2 women) or even myself.
I even asked if I could just carry on Saturday when the office is closed but I have to leave the door unlocked for flower deliveries.
It's a real shock when your vacuuming & somebody comes up behind you :wideeyed:
Their solution was to install a doorbell & make me a sign to put in the window, "Ring Bell or Call Custodians Cellphone."

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I recently got a job as a cable salesman, and I'm in some pretty bad areas of town going door to door knocking, and I can be carrying large sums of cash, and I had to sign a form saying I would not carry ANY form of weapon, but I'm still going to CC, what they don't know won't hurt them, and if it comes to it, I'd rather lose my job than my life.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
The way I understand it is that Firearms aren't allowed on federal property. As A federal civillian employee I will get fired if I were to have a firearm in my vehicle in the parking lot. Yes they sometimes do random vehicle searches where I work. The reason for this is the firearms in the workplace policy. It primarily addresses the possibility that someone might "go postal" more than anything else. I'm torn on this issue, should some disgruntled nutbag go postal armed victims aren't very effective victims. On the other hand, the last time a postal employee wigged out the survivors sued the piss out of the USPS. You know how it goes "deep pockets"

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
I never did understand why "gun free zones" like courtrooms and Government buildings allow any "authorized" LEO to ignore this rule and carry in there. If they are worried about the average worker "going postal", they should worry more about the LEOs. High stress job, the rates for Divorce, Suicide, Depression, and other problems are much higher among cops than the general population. Our local courts installed metal detectors and such after an incident about 20 years ago. Guy getting sued for divorce by his wife waited for the hearing to end and shot her on the front steps of the courthouse. Now, only cops can carry weapons in the building. What everybody never remembers or mentions is the fact the guy who shot his wife was a cop, he wouldn't have been prevented from carrying anyway.

In regards to Postal employees, at least the USPS never seemed to be too anti-gun. After every incident they didn't say easy access to guns was the problem, they blamed the high stress work environment or supervisors causing someone to just snap.

·
Banned
4,846 Posts
My wife is a judge and has to deal with unstable people every day in her hearings, they can request secutity at a hearing if they feel threatened but what if someone just snaps?? We were just talking the other night about getting her a gun to carry because some times she has to go to different cites for hearings, and if the hearings are not conducted in her office building (federal) they are sometimes held in hotel conference rooms with little or no security at all!! I went up to the LGS and checked out the P3AT for her, might make it a nice suprise gift for her. I'll have to look into that form Primal was talking about. Makes me nervous all the wackos she has to deal with every day.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Hey jeff I just bought my p3at a few months ago, and i love it.. Pm me and i let you in on where i got mine. just over 250 with ffl fees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts