Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completely forgot about this until I read the wankster thread. I was in a auto-parts store picking up a few things for my truck last week and the guy behind the counter looks up in the middle of ringing me up and says in a serious tone "Your not carrying a loaded handgun are you?"

I froze. my thought process resembled something like this: "How the hell does he know? Hes behind the counter and can't possibly see the gun at my waist level. Did a customer see it on my way in and tell the manager? Did they catch in on a camera? What do I do? Produce my CHL, just walk out, wait for the inevitable call to the police? WHATS GOING ON?"

The clerk continued "HAHA Promise you wont shoot me, but we accidentally sold the part you ordered to someone else."

I was mad! More mad that he choose to inadvertently call attention to my ccw than selling some silly part. He apologized, I got some store credit and that was it.

It's funny now, but I had no idea what to do after being 'made.' What is the proper reaction to that? I always figured it would be a little girl in the grocery store pointing her finger and saying "THAT MAN HAS A GUN!"
anyone else w/ a chl been made before? Ive got a friend that carries and he says he's been made more than once he just says "Yea It's a gun" and keeps on his way.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Not sure why you walked out...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Haven't been made yet that I know of.

Just a thought - this might have a perfect trainable moment. After your shock subsided: Son, as a rule you don't make fun in these situations. If I was a CCW dude, I would've left with no issues. If I was a BG, you may have taken the opportunity BEFORE I made my bad intentions known to get out of your position and get help. And so on. Heck, with the right coaching he may have chosen to become one of us! :)

I've already been asked by friends and family, in public, "are you carrying?" I've had to remind them - sometimes with a bit of emotion - that that is one question we don't ask IN PUBLIC!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Newskate9, Good response! wish I'd tho't of that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
We don't have to conceal in Georgia so I don't really worry much about printing. So if I was in that situation I would prob say why yes I am.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I don't think you were 'made' just mad, about the part being sold to someone else.
Sounds to me like dude was just making a joke and had no idea you were carrying. dumb luck on his part.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I carried on Saturday when I went to my bank (in WalMart). I can carry open or concealed in TN, this time my shirt was over my C9 (in a Fobus). I gave my THP for ID to the teller. She only asked what the exp. date was. Then she said "you haven't had this for long, do you carry often?". I answered yes and she replied "Good for you!"

As I was shopping in Wally, I was still waiting for a child to point at me and yell "He's got a gun!"

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I spend my time pretty much in NV, AZ, CA, (rarely UT). Of those open carry is okay--the single exception to everything of course being CA.

I much don't worry if I print or sometimes show. I know I've been 'made' but it's no big deal in states where people often open carry, so nobody has made a fuss about it. For instance: a couple of months ago, my wife and I had lunch in a bar near our home. As we were sliding out of the booth, my shirttail slid up and exposed my pistol. I pulled the tail back down and turned around to try and see if anyone noticed--the guy in the booth behind me was on the phone, didn't look the least bit bothered, just nodded, pointed, then waved without breaking his conversation.

Now if the Feds would just pass national reciprocity so I'd not have to go to CA as an unarmed victim, and NV would adopt the same laws regarding guns on campus that UT has.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm sure that I have been made, but here in TN I guess it's not that big of a deal. No one has ever made mention of it, nor pointed and said, "Hey, he's got a gun!" I did see this one punk wonder bread that had a teardrop tat beside his right eye look directly at my C9 print. His eyes were about the size of plates when he looked back up and I made eye contact with him. I was in Wally World's parking lot at the time walking to my car, he grabbed his girlfriend's hand and almost ran into the store with her in tow.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, if someone asked "Do you have a gun?" and your not sure if they are kidding or not, I would respond (in a kidding voice) "Why, can you see it?" if they say yes, then you have a problem any other response, they are probably just kidding around.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If someone asked me "do you have gun?", I would answe back with "Of course, but only my wife gets to take it out and play with it" :shock: :D

Not that I carry (yet)...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasnt mad about the part being sold, I was mad at the time because I felt like I was put on the spot to answer in front of the whole store whether I was carrying. Like I said, now it's funny now and yea it was just dumb luck that the guy mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
anyone else w/ a chl been made before? Ive got a friend that carries and he says he's been made more than once he just says "Yea It's a gun" and keeps on his way.
I got "made" once, at a birthday party. Some drunkard pushed me into a pull as I was leaving. After climbing out and kissing my girl friend goodbuy I made my way to my truck, where I then pulled my gun, done a quick(ish) field stripping to dry parts off to the the rusty chlorine water off, dumped as the water out of the mag. And the drunkard came around the back of my truck to see me popping the mag back into my gun. This didnt look good because I was lookin the drunkard in the eye holding a loaded gun. He handled it well because he stopped in his tracks and turned around and left.

All the way home I was waiting for a phone call, or anitciapting the police to be waiting for me at home. Nothing, later I found out my girly friend told him I have a CCH/W and I was just moving the gun from my truck to my body and he was just there at the wrong time.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Nothing like the random joke that turns out to be true. How weirded out you think the clerk would've been if you told him you DID have a loaded gun!? I can pretty much assume that he had no idea you were carrying.

I only conceal carry when I'm going into work. Otherwise it lives in the glovebox of what I'm driving or I will open carry only if I'm going on a long ride on the bike. Me, my dad, my brother and a co worker of his were riding out to the Grand Canyon and stopped in Wickenburg for a rest and a bite, and I can tell you that nothing wierds out local hillbillies like a bunch of funny talking foreigners get off of imported bikes wearing semi-autos on their belts :shock: (well, all except my dad since he's from Oklahoma but you couldn't tell until he's away from the BMW and opens his mouth :p )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Once BEFORE I got my PERmit, my shoes set off the alarm at walmart. The lady was real nice and said sometimes that happened after she figured out what it was. Right after I got my PERmit I went to walmart to get my nachos and guess what, same shoes but this time it went of going IN. She same lady but she didn't remember me, she said I said HI it's just me, and lifted my shoe:

she said "Oh, yea your that guy with the gun huh? at least you have it concealed this time." I'm thinking how could she possibly know that?? WTF else does that scanner show?????!!!

Of course it was just a coincidence, someone else had showed her their gun as they went thorough saying it must have set off the alarm, but I was freaking out!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
... stopped in Wickenburg for a rest and a bite, and I can tell you that nothing wierds out local hillbillies like a bunch of funny talking foreigners get off of imported bikes wearing semi-autos on their belts :shock:...
I'm in Wickenburg right now and will meet a few of those 'hillbillies' tonight for dinner. Guess what little anecdote I have to share? :D

ETA: enjoyed a very good meal at Anita's Cocina. Everyone got a laugh at your story. :lol:

G

·
I was made once when it was concealed. It printed my shirt. A lady at the diner said sir I can see your ummmm gun. I said nah you could make out my weapon you didn't see my gun. Then had to explain that one to her. Damn military teaching us that. But TN being an OC state she just wanted me to know it was printing. She reached under her skirt and pulled a Walther PPK out. I told her I was just concealing while eating to keep down the stares. She said she would never prohibit anyone coming into her est. with a weapon. Now her and the wife are range buddies.

G

·
She reached under her skirt and pulled a Walther PPK out. I told her I was just concealing while eating to keep down the stares. She said she would never prohibit anyone coming into her est. with a weapon. Now her and the wife are range buddies.
she sounds cool! what diner is this? i'm always on the hunt for an interesting place to eat during my days of driving around the mid-Tenn area.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have had Leo friends ask since I got my permit if I am carrying and then congratulate me being responsible... and they were very discrete about asking.

I am not sure if I have been made in public but I know it startled my little sister when she gave me a hug at her graduation party earlier this summer and felt my gun on my hip. She is cool with guns and all she just wasn't aware that I had my permit and carried I guess :roll:

It's not like I advertise to my relatives that I have my CHL the only ones that know are the ones I go shoot with and they all have them too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.