Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live and work in The People's Republic of New York State (upstate at least, not NYC or anything), and I'm scared to death to confide in any of my work friends about carrying because I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in my company are paranoid snowflakes and they'd have me arrested if someone accidentally saw my CCW. There's one guy who is ex-military, and I've thought about talking to him, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else live/work/whatever in a place where you literally feel like you're behind enemy lines at all times and about a half second slip of a concealment garment from being thrown out of your job? Like I take my holster off when I take a crap because I'm worried someone will see it under the wall in the toilet.

::sigh:: I feel a little better with that off my angst.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, mods.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Moved to....

CCW & Open Carry

:duh:

Where at in NY? I lived upstate for a long time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well if you have a legal CC Permit in the State of NY they CAN'T have you arrested as you are not breaking any laws. You may face political ramifications from the folks you work with but that's something that you'll have to deal with should you decide to make it known that you carry. But the question is, does your place of employment allow CCW permit holders to carry while at work? If not, the question is moot; don't carry at work. If so, they'd be on shaky legal grounds to terminate you because of that. But again, you may face political fallout and they may find a way to terminate you for another cause.

I decided to make my residence in the free (so far) State of Texas and concealed carry and open carry is not a big deal around here. Open carry is less prevalent but you do see it.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Are you legal to carry?
Are you allowed to carry at work per their policy and the law in NY?

If so great. But keep it to yourself.

If not you just admitted to a crime. Which is stupid because we now know

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Well if you have a legal CC Permit in the State of NY they CAN'T have you arrested as you are not breaking any laws. .
Actually, yes, they can. Printing is illegal, an accidental flash of any part of the CCW is illegal. If he steps a single foot on any school district or government property while carrying, it's illegal. If his magazine isn't properly pinned or "permanently" fixed to limit capacity to 10 rounds, it's illegal. If his employer has a "no gun" policy, even if it isn't posted, he can get nailed because no gun signs and policies carry force of law in NY.

That's why I'm trying to ascertain where exactly he's from, because I spent a long time living in NY and I am very familiar with the carry laws.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Actually, yes, they can. Printing is illegal, an accidental flash of any part of the CCW is illegal. If he steps a single foot on any school district or government property while carrying, it's illegal. If his magazine isn't properly pinned or "permanently" fixed to limit capacity to 10 rounds, it's illegal. If his employer has a "no gun" policy, even if it isn't posted, he can get nailed because no gun signs and policies carry force of law in NY.

That's why I'm trying to ascertain where exactly he's from, because I spent a long time living in NY and I am very familiar with the carry laws.
Well of course if he meets any of the obvious parameters you suggest then he could possibly be subject to arrest. But given the framework of the hypothetical he described (he mentioned nothing of printing, accidentally flashing, whether his employer was a school district or governmental facility, and nothing about a magazine or its capacity) he would not be doing anything illegal and therefore not subject to arrest. You interjected those extraneous assumptions and changed the parameters to suggest he would be subject to arrest. Yup. Changing the assumptions of the hypothetical will certainly affect a potential outcome. But that's not what he asked.

And as I said, he should not carry if his employer prohibits it. He did mention that he is from upstate NY somewhere and there are possibly local ordinances that affect his situation.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Well of course if he meets any of the obvious parameters you suggest then he could possibly be subject to arrest. But given the framework of the hypothetical he described (he mentioned nothing of printing, accidentally flashing, whether his employer was a school district or governmental facility, and nothing about a magazine or its capacity) he would not be doing anything illegal and therefore not subject to arrest. You interjected those extraneous assumptions and changed the parameters to suggest he would be subject to arrest. Yup. Changing the assumptions of the hypothetical will certainly affect a potential outcome. But that's not what he asked.

And as I said, he should not carry if his employer prohibits it. He did mention that he is from upstate NY somewhere and there are possibly local ordinances that affect his situation.
Actually, yes he did. He specifically mentioned someone accidentally seeing his sidearm. I'm also from upstate NY. I grew up in Buffalo. Then spent another 10 years in Binghamton. You ignorantly stated that a CC permit rendered him untouchable. I'm trying to educate you that while legally carrying, an innocent misstep just about anywhere else in the country can get him arrested in NY.

People have flown in to NY for a connecting flight, legally transporting a firearm in accordance with FAA regulations, and have been arrested because they do not possess a valid pistol permit in NY.

You're not from NY, so feel free to sit down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
...while legally carrying, an innocent misstep just about anywhere else in the country can get him arrested in NY.
Yeah it tends to be a shitshow in NYS.

@Rachgier I'm from similar geography to what you mentioned.

My understanding is that the signs on stores saying "no weapons allowed" do not carry the force of law - they can kick you out and probably call the cops too, but I'm pretty sure it's not enforceable from a purely legal standpoint. It may vary depending on the municipality or district or whatever, just like the requirements for obtaining the "state issued" permit are different depending on the county you live in (which I'm actually thankful for - if Supreme Chancellor Cuomo had the say on issuing permits none of us would have them). Also, I haven't asked or researched too deeply my employer's policy. There are not any overt signs prohibiting them, so I'm just sticking with "concealed means concealed".

Also, all my hardware is legal. 10 round mag, completely concealed by my clothing, yadda yadda. I'm within all the NYS restrictions there.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
So I live and work in The People's Republic of New York State (upstate at least, not NYC or anything), and I'm scared to death to confide in any of my work friends about carrying because I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in my company are paranoid snowflakes and they'd have me arrested if someone accidentally saw my CCW. There's one guy who is ex-military, and I've thought about talking to him, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else live/work/whatever in a place where you literally feel like you're behind enemy lines at all times and about a half second slip of a concealment garment from being thrown out of your job? Like I take my holster off when I take a crap because I'm worried someone will see it under the wall in the toilet.

::sigh:: I feel a little better with that off my angst.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, mods.
Even if I worked somewhere that I knew was a pro2A place with 100% 2A supporters, I would not speak about the gun that I had on me, at work.

Its not "polite talk" in my book.

I carry appendix so, I'd have to be doing something pretty crazy for my cover garment to come up and for someone to see it. For "bathroom carry", mine goes in my pants, under my underwear. It's never been spotted. Then when you get up, pull your pants AND your pistol up. Once it's up far enough, readjust.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Even if I worked somewhere that I knew was a pro2A place with 100% 2A supporters, I would not speak about the gun that I had on me, at work.

Its not "polite talk" in my book.

I carry appendix so, I'd have to be doing something pretty crazy for my cover garment to come up and for someone to see it. For "bathroom carry", mine goes in my pants, under my underwear. It's never been spotted. Then when you get up, pull your pants AND your pistol up. Once it's up far enough, readjust.
That's the nice thing about pocket carry. If you have to do a #2, you don't have to adjust anything when you drop your trousers to do your business and when you pull them back up after you're done.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
That's the nice thing about pocket carry. If you have to do a #2, you don't have to adjust anything when you drop your trousers to do your business and when you pull them back up after you're done.
Agreed. I do pocket carry too. I carry a Kel tec .32, weak side. It's the first thing that I'm yanking out. I call it my high capacity derringer. Point in face, pull trigger 6 times, punch muzzle into trachea, if youre still standing there, as the "primary" comes out to engage you or additional threats.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
SThere's one guy who is ex-military, and I've thought about talking to him, but I'm not sure.
There are ways you can feel out most people in casual conversation. Heck, a lot of people will just tell you if you give them enough time. For your ex-military friend, you could ask him what he shot or if he qualified Expert or whatever.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
People have flown in to NY for a connecting flight, legally transporting a firearm in accordance with FAA regulations, and have been arrested because they do not possess a valid pistol permit in NY.
I've been tracking that phenomenon for years. What usually happens is that the "offender" has a connecting flight canceled and they have to take possession of their legally transported firearm. Particularly if they have to get a hotel room for the night. They get arrested, charged, and then 99% of the time, they have to pay a massive fine and are then let go. It's basically a money making scam for NYC. Worse, it's in direct contradiction to the Federal "Peaceable Journey" law of 1986 which basically says that if you're traveling from one location where your gun is legal to another location where your gun is legal then you can travel "through" places where your gun is not (i.e., NY). But NYC gets away with ignoring that Federal Law. ...because they can.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
103 Posts
My $0.02 = In general, carrying at work isn't a great idea. It's a quick way to unemployment. That being said, there may be other options which are more concealable.
www.511tactical.com/holster-shirt
The above listed shirt with a compact single stack .380/9mm may be a good option for you. I'm not sure about your regular shirt style, but you could quickly make this work with a button up shirt.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Yeah it tends to be a shitshow in NYS.

@Rachgier I'm from similar geography to what you mentioned.

My understanding is that the signs on stores saying "no weapons allowed" do not carry the force of law - they can kick you out and probably call the cops too, but I'm pretty sure it's not enforceable from a purely legal standpoint. It may vary depending on the municipality or district or whatever, just like the requirements for obtaining the "state issued" permit are different depending on the county you live in (which I'm actually thankful for - if Supreme Chancellor Cuomo had the say on issuing permits none of us would have them). Also, I haven't asked or researched too deeply my employer's policy. There are not any overt signs prohibiting them, so I'm just sticking with "concealed means concealed".

Also, all my hardware is legal. 10 round mag, completely concealed by my clothing, yadda yadda. I'm within all the NYS restrictions there.
Similar geography, hmm... Lockport, North Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, etc. I'm from the Getzville/Amherst/Williamsville area around UB and the 990.

The signs do and they don't, that's why I say nailed. They can have you trespassed from their store as long as it's posted. That could result in a misdemeanor encounter with law enforcement, while armed, on your record. Criminal Trespass doesn't require prior notification. The burden to meet it is simply entering a property while knowing you are not permitted to do so. A prominantly posted sign will meet that burden. It's usually combined with you printing or an accidental flash, so I never went in anywhere that had a sign, just because it's so murky. I even ran in to trouble while carrying on duty as a Fire Investigator, despite being NYSDHS/OFPC.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
679 Posts
Actually, yes he did. He specifically mentioned someone accidentally seeing his sidearm. I'm also from upstate NY. I grew up in Buffalo. Then spent another 10 years in Binghamton. You ignorantly stated that a CC permit rendered him untouchable. I'm trying to educate you that while legally carrying, an innocent misstep just about anywhere else in the country can get him arrested in NY.

Given the changed parameters that you interjected he is certainly not untouchable and I never indicated that he would be.

And while I'm not from NY I (and anybody else) certainly have the prerogative of commenting on a post soliciting comments in an obscure discussion group. Jeez, no wonder people think NY'ers are assholes.

Reactions: mattman17

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Given the changed parameters that you interjected he is certainly not untouchable and I never indicated that he would be.

And while I'm not from NY I (and anybody else) certainly have the prerogative of commenting on a post soliciting comments in an obscure discussion group. Jeez, no wonder people think NY'ers are assholes.
The parameters never changed. The reality is that carrying in NYS is a veritable minefield that 90% of people who carry a firearm would never even consider as a potential felony in the making.

And this:
Well if you have a legal CC Permit in the State of NY they CAN'T have you arrested as you are not breaking any laws.
:is a dangerous, ignorant, and misguided piece of advice since you obviously have no clue how the CC laws work in NY because you think I fabricated new parameters.

Here's a new parameter for you. If he decides not to carry in to a store and leaves his sidearm in his vehicle, he is required to have two separate lock boxes in which he needs to lock the firearm and the magazine and then separate them by putting one or the other in the trunk.

So again, sit down and learn something new. I'm an equal opportunity east coast (FL,PA,NY,NC) asshole and coming soon to the Texas Hill country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If he decides not to carry in to a store and leaves his sidearm in his vehicle, he is required to have two separate lock boxes in which he needs to lock the firearm and the magazine and then separate them by putting one or the other in the trunk.
I always laugh in sarcasm when someone tells me they just "lock it" in the center console or glovebox. Then if your vehicle gets stolen they get a bonus! The NYS mindset with CCW is pretty much based on "how can this go wrong?" and not a lot else for me. When the instructor for my CCW class told us that if we say to a suspicious BG "don't come any closer, I have a gun" and that BG shoots you, they are within their rights because just saying "I have a gun" is a threat of force, and they would be deemed to be exercising self defense - that really sealed the "keep your mouth SHUT" message for me.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts