Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
I Stand With Talon
6,440 Posts
If the law says there is a 10 round limit, and the Officer observes a Glock with a +2, they would have reason under Terry to do a stop and talk on you whether you were an Ohio resident or not.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Which the officer may or may not be aware of. Cops don't know every law.

So if the unaware armed citizen walked into a convenience store with his Glock and was open carrying in Dayton (as I believe it is legal) and a cop getting his coffee sees a 19 with a +2? Inquiring minds would ask; "what if?"
The FOPA only applies when transporting from one legal place to another. Unfortunately they did not define transport. If you stop in route to go into a convenience store you are likely to run into problems if you are not in a gun friendly area. The courts would have to sort it out.

There have been attempts to address the definition or transport and to include routine stops.

·
Premium Member
21,081 Posts
The FOPA only applies when transporting from one legal place to another. Unfortunately they did not define transport. If you stop in route to go into a convenience store you are likely to run into problems if you are not in a gun friendly area. The courts would have to sort it out.

There have been attempts to address the definition or transport and to include routine stops.
I heard crossing your fingers doesn't work in parts of VA.

My brother told me when he retires from FHP he will probably get on with the local sheriff department as they always need good accident investigators. It will keep his 50 state carry permit active.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,440 Posts
I heard crossing your fingers doesn't work in parts of VA.

My brother told me when he retires from FHP he will probably get on with the local sheriff department as they always need good accident investigators. It will keep his 50 state carry permit active.
If he retires he doesn't need to get on with the Sheriff, he would be eligible for LEOSA which is Federal and would give him all 50 States.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
What I find stupid is passing through Dayton Ohio on I-75 there is a 10 round mag limit. :confused: Not sure how that would play out.
There are no magazine State law limits in Ohio anymore. There used to be a while back but it was a thirty round capacity limit. State law trumps city laws. If the city of Dayton decided to go after someone's 11 round or larger magazine who know what would happen. I think it is a feel good law with no teeth. It's like Colorado's State magazine capacity limit laws that also have no teeth.

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
What I find stupid is passing through Dayton Ohio on I-75 there is a 10rd mag limit. :confused: Not sure how that would play out.
If only there was someone here on this forum from the general Greater Dayton area that we could directly ask. :rolleyes:

Dayton can pass whatever city ordinances they want. Ohio has State Preemption and mag limit city ordinances have no authority.

Anyway, my search of the Dayton City Ordinances only finds a magazine in reference to their 1994 definition of, and prohibition of, "Assault Weapons" which, again, is subject to State Preemption.

ref:
https://library.municode.com/oh/day...inances?nodeId=TITXIIIGEOF_CH138WEEX_DIV3ASWE

Mag limits didn't come into play at that downtown shooting they had a few years back.
I've literally been in that very spot more than once in the past.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
Which the officer may or may not be aware of. Cops don't know every law.

So if the unaware armed citizen walked into a convenience store with his Glock and was open carrying in Dayton (as I believe it is legal) and a cop getting his coffee sees a 19 with a +2? Inquiring minds would ask; "what if?"
Most of the police in Dayton are aware of the laws for OC in the state. They're also generally aware that any mag limit Dayton thinks they have is preempted.

But, early days of CC here in Ohio proved that there were some cops that would want to screw with people. A few gave out disturbing the peace or inciting a riot type tickets for CC back when it was required that their guns be exposed and visible while in the car.

In general, legally, you're OK. But just don't argue with the cop. If he wants to detain you, he can and will. Ask politely for his supervisor and let them sort it out.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
If the law says there is a 10 round limit, and the Officer observes a Glock with a +2, they would have reason under Terry to do a stop and talk on you whether you were an Ohio resident or not.
If he wanted to he could Terry Stop you to "investigate" if it was a stolen gun.

He might eventually get push back from above, but you'll still be detained.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
Thank you for educating me on what a LEO can do.
  1. I know that it was a reply to you but I was intending for TNT to be the reader
  2. If you haven't noticed, I have been agreeing with you about being detained so don't be so easily offended. Would it have been better if I prefaced it with 'As Flash already knows'?
  3. As I pointed out up-thread, Dayton's "Assault Weapon" ban is null under state preemption, which is where the 10-round limit seems to come from

·
Premium Member
21,081 Posts
If he retires he doesn't need to get on with the Sheriff, he would be eligible for LEOSA which is Federal and would give him all 50 States.
That's what I thought. I think mandatory retirement is 65. He went to the academy at 57 1/2yo. He's 60 now. The academy was 6 months if you didn't have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. He didn't know that at the time or he would have done that.

2 Posts
I cc at work. It's not illegal where I am, but it is against policy (it is a "weapon free zone"), so if I printed and someone reported it I would lose my job immediately. My industry is traditionally a safe one, but occasionally (and multiple times recently) there have been incidents of gun violence by outside individuals that have impacted people who do jobs related to mine.

As a result I carry an M&P Shield 9mm, and I use either use an ankle holster or a deep concealment shoulder holster depending on what I am wearing. If I am wearing khakis or slacks that I can easily pull up with my offhand than I'll wear on my ankle. If I am wearing a button up shirt than I'll wear the shoulder holster inbetween my undershirt and the button up. I am 6'1" and built, so whether I'm carrying on my ankle (black holster, black gun, black socks, an extra inch or two on my pant leg measurement) or on my torso (high up, not quite at the armpit, white undershirt, white fabric on the holster) the weapon disappears.

When I carry on my ankle I am limited to the ammunition in the weapon itself (7+1), but when I carry on my torso I can throw a couple of 8 round extended magazines on the opposite side. This may not seem like a lot of ammo, but if I ever have to fire my weapon at work it will likely be a single target, I'm not going to be getting into any gunfights or trying to retake Nakatomi Plaza or anything.

I'd recommend looking in to one of those two carry areas if you are in a situation where you want to carry, but your workplace would forbid it. You'd need to practice your draws, and they will be longer than if you were drawing from the waist, but if I had to choose between a gun with a longer draw and no gun at all than that's a pretty easy choice. I'd rather lose my job and the buttons on my shirt than lose my life.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I live and work in The People's Republic of New York State (upstate at least, not NYC or anything), and I'm scared to death to confide in any of my work friends about carrying because I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in my company are paranoid snowflakes and they'd have me arrested if someone accidentally saw my CCW. There's one guy who is ex-military, and I've thought about talking to him, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else live/work/whatever in a place where you literally feel like you're behind enemy lines at all times and about a half second slip of a concealment garment from being thrown out of your job? Like I take my holster off when I take a crap because I'm worried someone will see it under the wall in the toilet.

::sigh:: I feel a little better with that off my angst.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, mods.
I live in upstate NY too. My work will fire you on the spot if you're caught with any type of weapon on premise. I have a lock box in my truck that I use before going into the plant and through a metal detector.
They can't fire you for talking about guns but in today's environment I'd be careful and stick to people you know hunt or carry.
I belong to several Gun clubs so I usually do my BS ing at the range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Careful what you post. Its been made clear the man is watching. The Buck Fiden admin has already said they will investigate all Trump supporters, starting with politicians and ending with voters. Personally my mind set is this. I was abused and bullied as a child I absolutely refuse to be as an adult. The government is in our faces, corrupt! I won't go out of my way to meet trouble. But on that day trouble finds me, "it will be a good day to die"(my edit of Worf's quote). All men are innocent till proven guilty in a court of law by a jury of "their" piers. I have a CHL. I carry EVERYWHERE! Lately i wear a Lv3a soft vest both at work(fired today with no reason given- recent work comp issues) and when its possible when going to town. I carry my 380(extra mag in pocket) at work and add to that my shoulder holstered 10mm in town(with 2 extra mags). BTW, while i have a IWB holster I have carried it more times at work in my pocket(lose pants and pocket holster). God bless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I cc at work. It's not illegal where I am, but it is against policy (it is a "weapon free zone"), so if I printed and someone reported it I would lose my job immediately. ... I'd rather lose my job and the buttons on my shirt than lose my life.
Big AMEN to that, brother! That's my view point as well. I'd rather be alive and unemployed if it comes to that.

I have a lock box in my truck that I use before going into the plant and through a metal detector.
tbh, this was on my radar when I recently changed careers. I couldn't stand a job with metal detectors at the door. I know sometimes it's unavoidable though. I guess I'm just glad I didn't have to go that route.

Keep your mouth shut, Nick. Better yet, move out of the hellish People's Republic of New York.
Big-picture plans, yeah. Unfortunately for that plan, my wife and I both have jobs we love and pretty much our whole families right here. It would be a tough move, and I figure if I can keep it between Cuomo's ever-constricting lines I might as well just stay here, since Washington seems to be trying to use NY and CA as the models for national-scale legislation anyway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Big AMEN to that, brother! That's my view point as well. I'd rather be alive and unemployed if it comes to that.

tbh, this was on my radar when I recently changed careers. I couldn't stand a job with metal detectors at the door. I know sometimes it's unavoidable though. I guess I'm just glad I didn't have to go that route.

Big-picture plans, yeah. Unfortunately for that plan, my wife and I both have jobs we love and pretty much our whole families right here. It would be a tough move, and I figure if I can keep it between Cuomo's ever-constricting lines I might as well just stay here, since Washington seems to be trying to use NY and CA as the models for national-scale legislation anyway.
I've lived in and visited other parts of the country but I really do love New york state, just not the government! Western NY has some of the most beautiful land there is when you get out to the rural areas and the change of seasons is AWSOME! I spent a year down south when I was younger and I couldn't wait to get back in time for the fall leaves turning. The people here are some of the friendliest and most helpful you'll ever meet as well!
It'd be nice if we could split the state in half kinda' like Virginia and West Virginia.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
It'd be nice if we could split the state in half kinda' like Virginia and West Virginia.
That's true for a lot of states, not just NY. Calif and Northern Calif, Eastern mAss and Western mAss.
You know, if we could have the cities become their own mini-states on their own and just leave the countryside alone, we'd all be a whole lot better off.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
I've lived in and visited other parts of the country but I really do love New york state, just not the government! Western NY has some of the most beautiful land there is when you get out to the rural areas and the change of seasons is AWSOME! I spent a year down south when I was younger and I couldn't wait to get back in time for the fall leaves turning. The people here are some of the friendliest and most helpful you'll ever meet as well!
I used to travel New York a lot. I hated their politics, but loved the state. I liked the finger lakes region, but the part I liked the best was the north way. Miles and miles and miles of unbroken wilderness.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
That's true for a lot of states, not just NY. Calif and Northern Calif, Eastern mAss and Western mAss.
You know, if we could have the cities become their own mini-states on their own and just leave the countryside alone, we'd all be a whole lot better off.
Spent a lot of time around Lee Massachusetts, I liked it almost as much as northern New York. But again, their politics are just not for me.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts