CCW Class???

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by MSCHU24, Nov 26, 2007.

1. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

Any idea of what I should expect out of a 1 day (evening) CCW class? I have not been to anything like this and I am just curious.

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Probably start off with basic gun handling and safety, then move into use of force laws and practicality. A quick Q&A session, and then maybe a simple test to make sure you were paying attention. Some states/instructors require a shooting test as well. Then you get your paperwork signed/notarized by the instructor, and you're ready to mail it in!

3. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Mine was recently a whole 8 hour class, which included the range time/qualifying. It was a long day, but definately worth it.

4. What Uraijit said!

Here in GA, no class is required, but I took one anyway. The instructor said that it was based on one day of materials boiled down to a half day because they had trouble getting people to commit to a whole day. Course that wouldn't have been a problem if the class was required :) I wish they _had_ taken the whole day, because there was considerable skimming.

It covered basics (differences between semi-autos and wheel guns), safety, cleaning, legal issues, etc., and then ended with an hour of shooting, and the instructor was not interested is accuracy as much as in proper handling. The cool thing was that the class included the use of one of their rental pistols, so I got to use mine as well as one of theirs for comparison.

5. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Here in SC it is REQUIRED to take an 8 hr class which covers the laws, and my instructer also gave some good scenerios in which self defence would be considered in court and also had several different types of handguns on display. then we had to fire 50 rounds at a target so many rounds at such and such a distance also learned shooting techniques then we had a test to cover everything we learned.
    The hardest part was shooting cause my mag spring and mag release spring went south on me and screwed up my shooting....but I passed.

6. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

Well I had the class last night. It was supposed to be a 4 hour class but ended up only being 2 hours. It was very basic and mainly just differences between semi auto and wheel guns and how to handle the gun to be safe. Pretty much common sense stuff. I think I only learned one little bit of information and I already forgot it :lol: I wish they would have gone over more.

Well anyway, in January I will be going to the sheriff's office to get fingerprinted and everything for my permit. :D

7. I personally feel a clasroom course covering concealed carry benifits those who carry in more ways than most suspect. In the event you ever had to use deadly force just having attended a classroom course would definatly be to your benifit when the legal system became involved.

Like shooterz said, SC requires us to take an 8hr course and a 50rd practical shooting test prior to submitting a application for the SC CWP. Been shooting and handling firearms since the early 70's and I did learn a good bit of legal info from the course, so it was money well spent in my opinion.

8. Yeah, it's required here, too. 8 hour class and then shoot...have to get so many hits in the circle at certain range (don't remember what range, tho).

9. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

In Idaho? Last night we were told it only had to be a formal class...nothing else. Our class was (on paper) a 4 hour formal class. The instructor told us that all we had to do after the class was go get finger printed...bla bla bla...to get the permit.

10. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

So what all did the class end up involving?

12. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

13. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

{quote=".40cal_in_Idaho"]These guys are BIG on training, training, training.[/quote]

I wish I had somewhere closer/more convenient to get more training. Even though my class was pretty basic and sometimes boring I still enjoyed it overall.

14. Cool. Thanks for the info! Until now, I was under the impression that the course was required. I still plan on taking more training courses in the future, though.

EDIT(again): nevermind...deleted by me