Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police said a pair of armed men entered a liquor store Saturday night and attempted to rob the business, but met up with another armed person inside.

That armed person was a customer, who shot one of the robbers dead.

The other robber fled on foot and has not been captured or identified by police.

There were three employees and two customers inside when the armed men entered Sinker’s Liquor Store on Gallatin Road just after 10 p.m. Saturday night.

Clifford Baxter, an employee, said he went into the back to call the police.

As Baxter was calling police, the armed customer pulled out his weapon and opened fire on the suspects, who police said had ordered everyone on the floor.

“It happened real fast,†said Baxter.

The suspects returned fire, and police said about 10 shots were fired altogether.

"There was an exchange of gun fire between suspects and the customer inside the business," said Capt. David Imhof of the Nashville Police Department. “…One of the suspects was able to successfully run from the store. The other only made it the end of the parking lot where he collapsed.â€

Police said the shot suspect was taken to Skyline Medical Center and pronounced dead as a result of his injuries.

Baxter said he almost attacked the customer with a bottle in the aftermath of the shootings before he realized he was not one of the alleged robbers.

"I told him I appreciate it, thank him thank him, he may have saved our lives," said Baxter.

Police said the customer does have a valid Tennessee permit needed to carry a weapon.

The robber who got away was described by police as being a young black man believed to be in his 20s who was short, with a slender build and wearing a red shirt and black pants.

Police said to call 911 if anyone has any information.
http://www.wsmv.com/news/16022621/detail.html

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Thanks for posting this. We need to share whenever a CCW holder is involved in a crime or the news.

Does anyone know of a website that collects information like this so we can go for it when told how 'blood will run in the streets' because we choose not to be victims?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe Primal or Glockman could build a small site for that. I would love to have these things to throw in their faces. What's bad is the damn news used the headline of "Vigilante Customer Shoots Robbery Suspect Dead".
That is what gives it a bad name. Maybe we should all write to them and complain about the vigilante part.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Using the word vigilante implies that the person in question was operating outside of the law. Concealed carry and self defense are both quite legal, so P7196, I agree with you, I can't say I like that too much.
Maybe my anti-gun media sensing radar is too finely tuned, as the article itself was ok. Nevertheless, the V word used in conjunction with law abiding folks defending themselves cuts against my grain a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave I totally agree & it does rub my fur the wrong way. I did fire off an email to the station. The only law I can see he broke was the fact he did carry a loaded weapon where liquor is sold. But Metro PD did not mention it and no charges have been filed against him.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
The only law I can see he broke was the fact he did carry a loaded weapon where liquor is sold.
I wish laws were more uniform across the states. Here in Nevada I can buy liquor or go into a bar why carrying. I can drink while carrying if my BAC is under .10; when I'm in another state, I have to remind myself of these things. You all know this link:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It's a real 'life'saver when traveling--along with:

http://www.opencarry.org/

where you can't CC. :wink:

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
The only law I can see he broke was the fact he did carry a loaded weapon where liquor is sold.
I don't know about TN, but here I believe the prohibition is for establishments that are licensed for the consumption of alcohol. If it was based on sale, you couldn't carry in any supermarket, Wal Mart, or 7-11.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike is correct: if you are in a establishment that allows consumption: no good. Going into a store not the same restrictions. At least that is how it is here in AZ.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tn has been trying to change the law on liquor and carrying. I am not sure if it is a for consumption or what to be honest. Maybe one of our other Tn members can chime in on this.Since I don't drink anymore I don't keep up with the laws on that.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Here in New Mexico, I can't carry in a bar, but I can carry in a corner store or Wal-Mart. The only restriction is if the establishment sells alcohol for consumption on premesis.

·
Banned
19,446 Posts
In SD the law is if the establishment makes more than 51% of profit from sale of alcahol. Kind of ambiguous so i asked the sheriff about it. He said it was designed to keep guns out of liquor stores and non-food serving bars, not every single alcahol serving establishment. He said if i want to carry in a resturaunt where alcahol is served i wouldnt be breaking the law. He also said there is no specific prohibition on drinking while carrying but a court would look very closely at a self defense shooting if the shooter had been drinking before the incident.

SW

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
NDS said:
Thanks for posting this. We need to share whenever a CCW holder is involved in a crime or the news.

Does anyone know of a website that collects information like this so we can go for it when told how 'blood will run in the streets' because we choose not to be victims?

Not specifically CCW oriented, this site has incidents of forearm use from around the US.

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gotta love the spin they put on that with just the title. here in ga you can't carry in any establishment licensed to serve alcohol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out he was within the law to carry where liquor was sold as long as it was not buy the drink. As in can't carry where it is sold for consumption. They are trying to get it where places like Applebees etc... so you can carry there with management approval but it would have to be posted if mgmnt disapproves of it.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
great post p7196. i truly reach another level of understanding how ccw can save our life.
polices (all do respect) can not be there to save our life. and even after even, what will be the chance catch that guy who got away, with the information limited to "black male, 20ish, short, slender build."?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He was caught this afternoon . He was identified by a witness who was reluctant to come forward.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Using the word vigilante implies that the person in question was operating outside of the law. Concealed carry and self defense are both quite legal, so P7196, I agree with you, I can't say I like that too much.
Maybe my anti-gun media sensing radar is too finely tuned, as the article itself was ok. Nevertheless, the V word used in conjunction with law abiding folks defending themselves cuts against my grain a bit.
+1 there. I don't like the word "vigilante" either. I think we do need to see real-life experiences of those who make proper use of their right to bear arms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts