Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arizona is considering modifying their CCW laws to not require gun owners to pass an 8 hour DPS gun safety course and carry a CCW license to carry concealed. Currently anyone 21 and older can own and carry a firearm, but only those with a valid CCW can carry concealed. I'm curious as to everyone's laws in their states/countries regarding CCW, and your opinion on carrying a concealed weapon? LEO brass out here feels it's a detriment because that will put more uneducated gun handlers on the street with weapons, and legislators say they shouldn't be babysitting the public, it's our right to own and carry firearms, therefore it's our responsibility to learn how to use them safely. What does everyone else think? How does your state treat firearms handling/safety/training?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Virginia requires your take a 3 hour gun saftey class...2 hours of classroom and 1 hour on the range..i have seen however and online class you can take thats only 1 hour but some cities here will not except it do to the fact theres no proof you took the class.
you also have to be 21 and be able able to own a hand gun. you can skip the class if you were or are in the military.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here in Indiana, no class is required for either the regular or the lifetime CCW permit. Now in most if not all counties you can make application most of the application on the INET though you still must go to either City or County PD for a part of the paperwork.

That said, I would urge anyone who has not had training in the military or in a law enforcement venue to take a class. I saw on my last visit to the nearby DNR range that a course was being offered there. I don't want to be around some goofball who is carrying w/o being well versed in firearm safety!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Michigan allows CCW but requires a 5 hour class and 3 hour range course with proof of completion. I just finished the course and waiting on the county to approve my app. Michigan also allow anyone 21 or older (anyone who can legally own a pistol) can open carry. Sad part is alot of people don't know its legal including many LEO's so some who open carry get detained unlawfully. Also Michigan requires a purchase permit and registration of pistols.

I think the CCW course is a good idea. I am pretty new to pistols but not to guns. There were many scary people (handling guns wise) in my CCW class. I want those people to be trained! Possibly even trained more than the course covered!

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
No politics here, this is just a statement so don't get nasty on me!

The 2nd Amendment allows for a "Well Regulated Militia".
To me, this means training. If you want to carry a gun then I think you should be trained in its use.
For CCW this can be even more important. An untrained person carrying a gun hidden on their person could really make a mess of things & a little training & knowledge of the CCW laws, etc, can only help in the long run.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just took the course today here in TN. In TN it is an 8hr course. I feel it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I would feel flat out frightened if most of the people in my class where allowed to carry without taking the class. Although some people in my class I knew they did not need the class (former cops,military, etc). However, I am still scared about some of the people after having completed the course because several of the people had, lets just say, less than stellar performance. You only had to have 70% of your rounds hit the target to pass the shooting part of the class, and several people where right at 70%(and likely coughbarelygivencough this score). This is on a target that is the size of a semi-large human from the waist up at 3yrds-25yrds. The instructor of my class said the targets he used where actually 1/3 smaller than other people in the area. I didn't take the course from others in the area because I had a feeling they other places where just there to take your money and give you a certificate, not really train you at all.

I completely see both sides of the argument with your state. I think the government really intercedes way to much with our lives and telling us what and how we can do it. Although at the same time, I know most people would not have taken any type of class if not forced to. Even if they where aware of the fact they have no knowledge of how to properly operate a fire arm, the laws pertaining to it, etc; many just because of the fact the class costs money. My personal opinion is that in order to carry a handgun people should be required to take the course. If you wan't to own a handgun to protect your home, fine. But to carry it in public I believe you need at least SOME training and in my opinion a lot more shooting training than is offered in the class.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No training required in GA. You fill out an app with your county's probate judge and get prints done at the sheriff's office. Pricing varies by county but not over $50. If your county does digital printing your background check can be done in a matter of minutes. Your Georgia Firearms License (not concealed carry but license to carry anyway you wish as long as you use a holster) is mailed to you. My total cost was $44.25 and I had my GFL in 3 business days

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I agree about the "well regulated militia"

I also train intensively and am involved in USPSA and IDPA competition as it sharpens the skill set.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I agree about the "well regulated militia"

I also train intensively and am involved in USPSA and IDPA competition as it sharpens the skill set.
Think about it.
You need to take a Driving course in order to get a license to drive.
A gun can be a lot more dangerous than a car in the hands of someone who is untrained so why not make them take a training course.

Driving course is weeks long with an extensive test of rules & laws & a test drive with a qualified instructor.
Gun course is about 8 hours with a short test of laws & such & a shooting test your aged Grandma could pass without taking her arthritis medicine.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
OK here is my take... back in the day everyone had guns and fathers trained their sons and in many cases their daughters too. Today we have people who are brought up in gun free homes and then later in life get into guns... Your darn tootin they need training. Times have changed...

I have always said if we taught gun safety in school and had every student shoot a .22 to a certain proficiency...(obviously there would be some students who wouldn't get past bb guns.) we would be a much safer nation and you would see the firearms accident rate and violent crime rate drop even further.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
OK here is my take... back in the day everyone had guns and fathers trained their sons and in many cases their daughters too. Today we have people who are brought up in gun free homes and then later in life get into guns... Your darn tootin they need training. Times have changed...

I have always said if we taught gun safety in school and had every student shoot a .22 to a certain proficiency...(obviously there would be some students who wouldn't get past bb guns.) we would be a much safer nation and you would see the firearms accident rate and violent crime rate drop even further.
I wish I had videotape of the faculty meeting where I casually made the suggestion above. You'd have probably loved to see it!

It was during a meeting with the school police about guns on campus.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Do I think that people who get firearms should seek out training? You betcha. Do I think it should be mandatory before you should exercise you right to keep and bear arms? Hell no! Hopefully this bill will pass here in AZ because it is ridiculous to require people to pay for the privilege of untucking their shirt. Because that is really all it is. The class covers restricted carry areas, AZ justification laws, when deadly force is authorized, etc. The shooting portion is basic and is in no way designed to prepare you carrying. None of this information is specific to CCW, these are all the same laws and rules you have to follow when open carrying. Definitely some good information, but also all available for free. CCW permits are all about getting money for the state, keeping records on gun owners and giving the anti-gun folks a warm fuzzy. There is not a CCW permit class in the country that trains people how to effectively handle a firefight.

BTW, I also think it is a good idea for people learn proper sentence structure, spelling, and critical thinking, but would think it would be a terrible idea to require them before exercising their 1st amendment rights. I'll also apologize in advance fore getting this topic moved, but I just don't know how this topic can be discussed without bringing gun rights in to it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

I wish I had videotape of the faculty meeting where I casually made the suggestion above. You'd have probably loved to see it!

It was during a meeting with the school police about guns on campus.
hahhhahaha I wish you did too! I am having enough trouble getting a trap team approved and that is with 50 + parents asking for it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
No training required in GA. You fill out an app with your county's probate judge and get prints done at the sheriff's office. Pricing varies by county but not over $50. If your county does digital printing your background check can be done in a matter of minutes. Your Georgia Firearms License (not concealed carry but license to carry anyway you wish as long as you use a holster) is mailed to you. My total cost was $44.25 and I had my GFL in 3 business days
With no training in GA you cannot carry in a lot of other states like in SC. In SC you have to take an 8 hr class and time on the range for $75 and then pay $50 and wait 90 days for your permit. I have 30 days left to wait

·
Registered
128 Posts
me and the wife just took our CC class tonight. Was a nice little refresher course..well for me anyways was helpful for the wife..was bout 2 1/2 hrs of class time then off to the range..ill have to get a pic and post a range report was probably the best ive done at the range and the wife didnt do to bad for only her 3rd time shooting a hand gun..now put a rifle in her hands and she damn nears out shoots me..

im all for the our second ammendment rights.but think everyone should have training.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.