Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at pistols lately, knowing that I am going to be purchasing my shotgun here very shortly and following it up with a pistol purchase. I have finally decided to get my CCW Permit and have been window shopping, I have been shopping for a long time actually.

My issue is trying to decide on what pistol and caliber to go with in a personal defense weapon. Of course you have some basic guidelines but I just can't seem to settle on what to get. I have a few things in mind and would just like to hear some other thoughts on my situation.

One major thing I must take into consideration is my build, I am 6'0" and about 160lbs, I am not small but I am not huge either. More specifically about my build are my hands, they are tiny, not freakishly tiny but tiny. My ring size is 6, average male is 11.5..only reason I know this is my wedding band had to be custom made so it would fit! Now what does this mean? It means I have problems manipulating the controls on a lot of pistols. Glocks are completely out of the picture, my father has 4 and even on his CCW compact I can't reach the mag release with my thumb without twisting the firearm.

I would love to purchase a 1911 but I am afraid it wouldn't be the best fit for me, so I have narrowed my search down to 3 pistols.

1) Smith & Wesson M&P .40
I like this choice because of its replaceable palm swells. But I would be concerned for my followup shot ability with a .40 due to my size.

2) Springfield XD .40
This firearm seems to be very comfortable in my hands, almost as nice as the M&P

However with the two above choices I worry about the profile of the weapon and their ability to be concealed.

3) F&N Five-Seven
Almost zero recoil, extremely quick round, and supposedly extremely deadly. 20+1 rounds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now a huge question on the 3rd option, terminal performance. This weapon, more specifically the 5.7x28mm round, is very HOT when it comes to debate over its terminal performance. I have looked and looked and looked and looked and can't seem to find SOLID evidence for or against its ability as a self defense weapon.

I have read reports about how the 5.7x28mm is a very lethal round and is extremely effective at eliminating threats. Yet I have read what seems just as many reports saying it is worthless as an SD round and shouldn't be used for it.

But when it comes down to it I can't find any hard data, terminal performance charts and such. The only "data" I find is the muzzle velocity and bullet weight.

DOES anyone on here have reliable hard fact information about this round? I would LOVE it. I can't seem to find anything that helps me!!!

So for the current CCW holders, which firearm do you use and why..what made it stand out to you.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I use a KT P3AT, I bought it because I believe the .380 is sufficient for most self defense situations I would likely ever be involved in. It fits in my pocket and completely disappears there. I can pack it anywhere in whatever I am wearing, and no one would ever know.

If I had to choose from your list I would go with the M&P, slightly better concealment than the SA and no risk of using, what I consider to be, a rifle class round for close range work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know if you have read the stickys in the caliber area. But there is some very very good info there one should study. I myself feel practice is very very important. I shoot once or twice a week. To be able to afford this I had to go with 9mm. I have shot a whole bunch of 9mm and a bunch of 45 and some 40... ( I do not own a 40 and wont own a 40). After shooting the 40 along side the 45 I found that the recoil of the 40 was sharper. I also found that my second shots from the 45 was much easier to get on target. The 45 still has a recoil but it is a slower and more of a push and not as sharp. the 45 is a very very capable round 100 yard shots with the 45 are not hard. 1911 shooters do it all the time. I still can't afford to shoot the 45 in practice. So I shoot and carry a 9mm. IMHO both the M&P and the XD are fine weapons. I like the XD's safety's much better. I know for a fact with my XD if while holstering my weapon and my shirt gets hung up in the trigger it wont go off if my hand is not holding the safety in. The M&P could as there really is not any safety at all. I myself would not even look at the 5.7 as not enough folks are making the ammo.

I can shop anywhere for ammo and reloading components for my 9mm and my 45 (and the 40) You can get components in bulk for the big three (saving money) not so for the 5.7

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I agree with ARI practice is the most important.. if you can hit correctly you can kill with a .22 so pick the one you can afford to shoot the most. This is why I went with the 9mm.. I make sure I am shooting a modern HP LEO round in 147 grain +p but other than that I worry more about making sure I practice allot and not just at static targets I like to do strafing drills and the like!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Go to a gun range that rents (or post on a local gun board) and find a way to get your hands on and test fire an M&P .40. If the recoil's too much, but you love the fit, get an M&P 9. I prefer the .40 myself, but a hit with a 9 is better than a miss with a .40.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I carry my Bersa .380 a lot... simply because it can disappear in my pocket.
I love the sound the .380 cartridge makes when you pull the trigger... It's like you unleashed a thunderclap. (along with taking out the BG)
I personally don't carry anything less than a .380 for SD.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I carry my Bersa .380 a lot... simply because it can disappear in my pocket.
+1 or any other way I want to carry it. My Bersa always goes bang after a pull on the bang switch :)

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
What about revolvers? Charter Arms makes their Off Duty which is light (12 oz) and hammerless. It will shoot any .38 special +p or otherwise, and is made totaly in the U.S.A.. As for reliability the best semi-auto will play second base to any well made revolver.

Terminal performance, its been used for over 100 years with sucess especially with modern loads. Taurus and Smith also make fine revolvers along with (insert your favorite brand here), but most cost significantly more.

As to the 5.7mm round it is very close to a very old cartridge.....the .22 WMR which is better than nothing for self defense but not a first choice.

As with automobiles, and whiskey, one man's meat is another man's poison. It's your money and your life, choose wisely.

Take Care and Stay Safe

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
round and round and round we go......

SW
Seems like this comes up once a week doesn't it :wink: Search must be broken :roll:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I carry a fullsize 1911.....but Im a big guy at 280, 6'3" (I finally got my biceps up to 22" by the way).

As far as rounds go, Im packing 10mm. Check your local PD to see what rounds they are using, and pack what they do. That way if you get into trouble just reference the PD round and you should be fine as long as your lawyer knows how to spell his own name.

That Five7 is almost as impractical to carry as a Desert Eagle, its not the size....but the round. It is designed to penetrate body armor. So just imagine the OVER penetration that would be going on here. The .40 (and to an extend 10mm) and .45 were both designed to be a man killer, so base your decision around those rounds and you should be fine.

And as far as guns go, your on your own there buddy. If you plan on ever using the gun and not just carrying it to be "cool" then I would go with a DA/SA so you can carry cocked-and-locked safely and have that round chambered and ready to go so all you have to do is pull the trigger.

Just find a gun that fits YOU that you can carry comfortable and is as natural to you as blinking. Go to the gun store, have him pull EVERY gun he has out and hold, aim, dry fire everyone of them. And keep doing it until you find the right one. And looks and capacity should be in the back of your head when buying a CCW gun....function over form.

Good luck man, let us know what you get.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
the 5.7 may have been designed to penetratebody armor in its factory loadings, but with the anemic leftover loads we get here it may just do the trick for CCW. ive held one and it didnt seem overly large to me for CCW. maybe for a 125 lb woman itd be hard ot hide but any 5'6" plus guy should be able to do it fairly well.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Just finished up teaching a CCW class here in Ohio yesterday. Got to shoot some really nice toys that one of my students brought including a never-been-shot Sig Mosquito, a Sig P232 .380, and an HK P7 squeeze-cocker.

Anywho, I've been carrying on a daily basis for 5+ years now. I've carried the following:

Gov't 1911
Taurus PT-22
Taurus PT-92
Beretta 92F
Taurus .38
Walther P22
HK P200SK

These pretty much cover the field from mouse gun to full-bore. My every-day-year-round-don't-leave-home-without-it gun is the HK P2000 SK. See it here: www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20096&gun=Pistol

It's chambered in 9mm (also available in .40 and .357 SIG) and I believe it is the best compromise between concealability, power, ease-of-use, reliability, accuracy, and affordibility (of ammo; it's not a cheap gun).

I carry it in a Minotaur leather/kydex IWB holster which I purchased the day after I was chasing after a guy and my piece tumbled out of my Uncle Mike's IWB Sidekick. See it here: www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95

My SK holds 10+1 stoked with Speer Gold Dot HPs. It's DA/SA since I was already familiar with the controls on the Beretta and the Walther and I prefer having the hammer accessible for thumb-cocking as necessary. It has no external safeties to get in the way, nor does it need them. It has ambidextrous controls for both the mag release and the slide release which is ideal for off-hand shooting. It comes with interchangeable backstraps with stippling for a sure grip. It feeds everything I stuff in it and it's accurate enough that I can run a bowling pin rack at 75 feet with no problem. It's got very soft recoil; actually the Sig .380 I shot yesterday kicked more. It's very small, about the size of a .38 snubby but has a finger rest on the magazine so it's very comfortable for average size hands.

I strap it on every morning and trust it with my life and the lives of my family. That's the best endorsement anyone can give a gun.

I bought it after long research because, again, it was the best compromise in all the important areas and because Massad Ayoob told me to. :D

-'bridge

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
round and round and round we go......

SW
I would have performed a search but it seems like any time I do anything on the board it gives me the debug error my friend.

But I appreciate the attempt at contributing to this thread, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I have shot a whole bunch of 9mm and a bunch of 45 and some 40... ( I do not own a 40 and wont own a 40). After shooting the 40 along side the 45 I found that the recoil of the 40 was sharper. ...
curious... Why no .40 for you? I agree fully with your assessment of 45 vs. 40. I admit 9-10 times I carry my 1911, but I think .40 is a great round.

Andrew, you will not be disappointed with the XD.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
im not a fan of 40 short and wimpy either. after you;ve gone full bore 10mm a 40 just doesnt get it done. also i dislike the recoil impulse compared to 10mm or 9mm. just too sharp and snappy. 9mm orf 10mm is a solid shove back into your palm, 40 is like a whipcrack motion. just not for me.

SW

1 - 20 of 31 Posts