century arms c91

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by rodka, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rodka

rodka Member

the century arms cetmes accept the hk91 magazines dont they?
    just trying to clear things up, i saw this ad and they sell for about $3 a piece if so this is a good shtf rifle and i will look into buying one.

2. I have one, and it accepts HK mags without a problem..... Thats a G3 mag in the pic below.

[​IMG]

3. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

My CETME handles the G3 aluminum and steel mags very well. I traded the steel ones for aluminum mags ASAP. They're lighter to carry and feed just as well as they have steel feed lips.

Enjoy yours to the max. I know I do.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Some guns you may have a bit of touch up filing to make them work but its not much. Mine is one of the original wood furniture century's and it accpets them too. Check cetmerifles.com for mucho info on these.

SW

5. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Nice Gun IndianasFinest
    I am in the market for a .308 have been looking at the Saiga.... but I hear great things about the FLA clones.
    How much do these go for if you dont mind me asking.

6. Silicon Wolverine

anywhere from 400-900 depending on condition. MARS or springfields are in the 1300 neighborhood and primo HK originals are 3000+

SW

7. I have one and enjoy it a lot. I did get a bunch of the $3 mags and they work good in my CETME. They are worth getting.

8. Silicon Wolverine

hunt around and sometimes you can get a 10 for 10$ buy

SW

9. Ari

Ari Guest

How hard is it on the brass?

10. rodka

rodka Member

ive heard that the fluted barrel is really rough on the brass sometimes so bad that you cannot reload with it.

11. Silicon Wolverine

usually it ruins it in my expirence with my CETME. You can resize it and make it work but the flute marks remian in the brass forever. I usually shoot em and let em fly.

SW

12. griff30

griff30 Member

Nice rifle Indiana!
    So do all the CETMEs bust up the brass? Was looking for that HK look, but if they bust up brass I'll go for the Saiga 308. 308 If getting exxpensive!

13. rodka

rodka Member

ok this always starts a big uproar from what ive seen on the other forums but i think they are chambered for 7.62x51mm nato and ive heard that it is unsafe to fire .308 is this true?

14. griff30

griff30 Member

I've always heard 308 and 7.62 x 51 are interchangable.

15. My rifle is stamped .308 (7.62) on the magwell...... They are rough on brass, and yea .308 has gone up just like everything else. I can still find South African battle packs for around $70 per 140 rounds. Theres also cans of Aussie ammo (300 rounds) for about $150. Not cheap by a long shot, but to reload 1000 rounds of .308 including new brass,powder,bullets and primers will cost you $350. Gun powder is freggin expensive !!!!!

16. Silicon Wolverine

the issue with the HK non-rotating bolt/fluted chamber extraction system is it VERY violently yanks the case out of the chamber. Most guns have a rotating bolt that twists the case to break it loose from the chamber walls before extraction. Since the HK design doesnt twist it has the fluted chamber to ease extraction by using propellant gasses to push the case wall away from teh chamber wall. 7.62 military cases are purposefuly thicker and stronger to put up with the harsher enviroment of full auto machine guns, and are less likely to seperate when used in this type of system. Commercial brass (particularly Federal) is thinner overall and the violent extraction process may rip the case in two simply because it isnt strong enough. Ive shot a couple hundred rounds of commercial .308 through my CETME with no problems but the brass was all winchester and it came out looking really rough. Its up to you what you shoot but make sure you keep at least a couple broken shell extractors on hand for this style gun just to CYA.

SW