Cerakote Finish

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Jarhead1775, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Has anyone had or seen a firearm that has been refinished with Cerakote?
    I am thinking about getting my mustang done and want to know if people are happy with the results before I spend 2 bills on it.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Are you thinking of having done or doing it yourself?

3. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

I was going to have it done. Was going to send the weapon out thru the local Gander Mountain.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

fill me in. Whats ceracoat?

SW

5. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

This is what they claim:
    CeraKote is our top of the line coating. If you want the very best coating available look no further. CeraKote was developed by NIC Industries, Inc. CeraKote was designed to provide a high quality, long lasting finish, with high corrosion protection and durability. CeraKote is available in two compounds "C" series which is an ambient cure coating & "H" series which is a thermal cure coating. Unlike Teflon based gun coatings the "C" & "H" series of CeraKote offer unparalled levels of hardness and abrasion resistance because of their unique ceramic backbone.

CeraKote is available in 31 standard colors. It provides excellent corrosion protection, outstanding abrasion resistance, extreme hardness, & unmatched durability. CeraKote surpasses Teflon based coatings for wear resistance by well over 60%. CeraKote has self lubricating elements incorporated through out the coatings matrix, this allow firearms to function with little or no fluid lubricants that typically attract abrasive dust particles. CeraKote performs extremely well in automatics with high cyclic rates.

The "C" series ceramic gun coatings were designed as a single component ambient cure system. As higher tempatures are reached the "C" series will flux, becoming harder and more abrasion resistant. After a full cure this coating provides excellent resistance to most cleaning solivents and chemicals. It has a pencil scratch hardness (ASTM D3363) of 7h, exceeded the 5% salt spray test (ASTM B117) with well over 550 hrs, an adheasion cross cut tape (ASTM D3359) of 5B, & has an optimal film thickness of 0.5 to 1.0 mils. It has a heat stability rating in excess of 1200 degrees f for extended periods without failing.

The "H" series was designed as a two part thermal cure system. It provides a very high quality, long lasting finish with high corrosion resistance. It offers unparalled levels of abrasion resistance and hardness because of the two part component system. The "H" series has a viscosity #2 Zahn cup of 13.0 sec, an optimal film thickness of 0.5 to 1.0 mils, passes the 5% salt spray test (ASTM B117) in excess of 2,500 hrs, has a pencil scratch hardness (ASTM D3363) of 7h, the adheasion cross cut tape (ASTM D3359 of 5B, and heat stability of 525 degrees f for extended periods without failing.

6. I've seen it, real nice finish. Very much like the KimberKote finish on the DesertWarrior line. It seems to be a good finish for a decent price. The major perk of it is being able to use it on Stainless slides where, from what i've read, some finishes dont work on.

7. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Thank you, I will have it done. Will post before and after pics when I get it back. They told me they will have the gun for 3 months because they have to send it out.

8. Yea most places have to send out. Was going to have one of mine done at gander mountain, but didn't want to go without mine for the 8-12 weeks.

9. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Melted & CeraCoated P3AT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Melted & CeraCoated PF9
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(all work done by KTOG member Doc_s)
    You may want to contact Doc_S i dont know if he'll do a mustang, but i know he's a lot less than 2 bills.

10. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Thank you Silverado. The pics say it all.