Cetme

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by esududeny, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Anyone have any experience with this carbine? Good? Bad?

2. Very interesting. This guy seems to have liked it:

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_CETME-SAIGA.htm

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Depends on where you get it. Some of the century builds rival scrap metal for quailty while others are very good. The MARS cetme is the best quality usually. Mine is an early century build and with a little tweaking it still runs good, 5000 rounds or so later.

Most cetme's are averaging 575-750$ on GB and AA. If you want more go to www.cetmerifles.com and look for stuff by perro del diablo. Hes the man when it comes to cetme's.

If you want to spend a little more you can upgrade to a HK91 or PLR91. Both are essentially upgraded versions of the cetme. You're into the 1500-2500$ neighborhood with these.

SW

4. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

The Century Arms CETME I have runs great. A friend owns an H&K 91. When he fired my CETME, he remarked about how much less felt recoil it had compared to his 91. Big plus is that my CETME will use the aluminum H&K mags with no problems. :D

5. Like SW said there are good and bad Cetme rifles. There are cast recievers and stamped. When century arms first started building these rifles they bought the tooling from Special Weapons in Arizona. The first batch of cetmes were made on cast stainless recivers and are essentially top notch . The cast cetmes are pretty easy to tell from the stamped versions by looking at the rear sight base. On All cast cetmes the rear sight base looks integral to the reciever (not welded) On the stamped models the rear sight base is tacked welded on all four corners. Further more the first batch of cetmes that were made on the Special Weapons recivers are stamped "Made in ST ALBANS, VT" All others will be stamped "Georgia, VT" If you are going to buy a cetme I would stay away from the stamped models. Century started to get sloppy when they were making these, grinding bolt heads for acceptable gap (VERY DANGEROUS). The stamped models will be cheaper and lighter but the cast models are much more dependable. Heres a few pics showing the differences between the two. Also check out www.militaryfirearm.com they have a great cetme section since the above mentioned site is no longer up and running.

This is what I am currently building......
    [​IMG]

Stamped reciever site base...
    [​IMG]

Stamped recievcer mag well...
    [​IMG]

Cast reciever site base...
    [​IMG]

Cast reciever mag well...
    [​IMG]

One more thing.... There are also cast reciever cetmes that were made in Georgia, VT. Again the cast cetmes all no matter which plant they were made have integral rear site bases. Hope this helps :D

6. Forgot to mention as well.... The early build cetmes that are stamped "ST ALBANS, VT" were built from 100% new spanish parts kits. All others were built from rifles that were cut up and sent here including both cast and stamped versions wearing the "Georgia, VT" stamp.