CF-380 Questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by wingman, Mar 2, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Member

I am looking at a CF-380 for my wife. It will be used by her as a home defense gun and a range gun. She currently has a Taurus PT22, but wants something a little bigger. She does not want much recoil and she has weak hands. I have the following question:

1. How strong is the recoil on the 380?

2. How hard is the trigger pull on the 380? (She has fired my 995 TS carbine, and does not like that trigger pull)

3. How hard is it to "rack" the slide?

Thanks for your help.

2. ive shot a few 380's and think it would fit nicely with her needs. trigger pull wasnt bad and slide was fairly easy for my 5/1 100lb wife recoil is manageable

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    1 - Perhaps a bit more than your average .22

2 - Hard? Never thought of it as hard. A bit sloppy till it's broken in though.

3 - Average. If need be you can remove the short fat firing pin spring (leave the tall skinny one installed). That could ease racking and eliminates the chance of spring entanglement. Keep it well oiled too. But much like the trigger, it'll get better as it breaks in.

4. The CF380 has very mild recoil, the slide is as state manageable. Learning the proper way to rack the slide helps immensely.

A simple youtube search will provide plenty of instructions on overhand slide manipulation.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Tried that once. Had to change the sheets.

Or were you referencing something entirely different?

6. LOL, no not that type of manipulation.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8ZRlkdWVc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8ZRlkdWVc[/ame]

This is just one, but there are many.

Wingman~~~with the Hi Point you may need to file the serrations all the way down past where they stop. Not sure why HP did not take them further down the slide. Zamak is easy to file though, just take them down the rest of the way on the part not painted if she has difficulty gripping. Or just get some skate board tape and put it on that portion.

Also make sure the HP is cocked with a empty chamber, in other words do not dry fire it after racking if you are keeping it with a empty chamber. The firing pin in the cocked position will make it easier to rack.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

IMO the CF 380 is an underrated gun. The extra mass makes the recoil very mild (think 22), but is still a very capable round. It is certainly less than a Bersa or similar small frame gun, but due to its size it fits a different role. The trigger is medium, but (as mentioned) needs to be broken in with a hundred rounds or so to be a consistent pull. Racking is reasonably light/smooth, but definitely benefits from a good oiling as soon as you get it. I have both the C9 and the CF 380, and, while I prefer the price of 9mm ammo, I prefer the feel and function of the 380.

Cheers,
    Kyu

8. wingman

wingman Member

Thank you for all of your replies. It sounds like I need to seriously consider this gun for my wife. Are there any possible problems that I should be aware of with the 380?

9. Lock the slide back, load the mags, and leave the gun alone for about a week. After the week rack the slide a lot. Then go to the range and have fun.