Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a CF380 brand new from Sportsman's Warehouse in Kelso, WA. And when I try to take the slide all the way back so I can lock the gun and take it apart, no matter how hard I pull, it won't go back far enough to engage the lock. Does anyone know why it won't go back all the way, and how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
Most of us just get it to where we can put a punch on the pin, and press it out without worrying about locking it open.

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
OK....so the guesses would be a bound up firing pin spring, or simply that it needs to be broken in a bit. Or....I have one or two that the notch is simply a bit short of the pin. I just use a thinner punch and pry a little once I get it started, so the pin can clear the other side.

The only way to really check or fix the firing pin is to take it apart, so that's an issue.

Have you shot the gun yet? Usually a good idea before you take them apart, we have a LOT of folks that take it apart, put it together wrong, but they won't believe us when we tell them it's probably because they screwed something up.

If it ends up being a serious thing we can't help you fix, returning it to the factory is an option. I know, that would be extremely frustrating on a new gun; so stick with it, hopefuly we can get you going. (y)

·
Premium Member
9,427 Posts
Some guns have really tight tolerances in some places when they come straight from the factory. Like you're trying to do, I also like to do a full tear-down and cleaning with my new guns.

The slide of my P938, when I first got it, would not move forward off the frame when I removed the slide release. I had no choice but to just clean what I could reach without a tear-down, but after I fired it, it could be disassembled.

You might just need to take it for a range trip to loosen things up so you can disassemble your pistol afterwards.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
Will it go back enough to rack a round & eject?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible some kind of damage occured at the gun store? When buying this gun, the employee who showed me how to use it, had no idea how to work the gun. He cocked it back, locked it, and couldn't figure out why the slide was locked. He started hitting the back of the slide as hard as he could, and trying to go full brute force on it to unlock it. Another employee saw what he was doing, rushed over, and told him he needs to remove the magazine first.

Is it possible some kind of damage occured, during this whole ordeal?

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
Is it possible some kind of damage occured at the gun store? When buying this gun, the employee who showed me how to use it, had no idea how to work the gun. He cocked it back, locked it, and couldn't figure out why the slide was locked. He started hitting the back of the slide as hard as he could, and trying to go full brute force on it to unlock it. Another employee saw what he was doing, rushed over, and told him he needs to remove the magazine first.

Is it possible some kind of damage occured, during this whole ordeal?
Yes. He absolutely could have fucked up the LRHO.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
May I ask, what is an LRHO? A quick google search shows me nothing but guns made out of legos, lol.
Last Round Hold Open. The exact reason he had to remove the mag before releasing the slide.

Reactions: 97RAYMOND

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK....so the guesses would be a bound up firing pin spring, or simply that it needs to be broken in a bit. Or....I have one or two that the notch is simply a bit short of the pin. I just use a thinner punch and pry a little once I get it started, so the pin can clear the other side.

The only way to really check or fix the firing pin is to take it apart, so that's an issue.

Have you shot the gun yet? Usually a good idea before you take them apart, we have a LOT of folks that take it apart, put it together wrong, but they won't believe us when we tell them it's probably because they screwed something up.

If it ends up being a serious thing we can't help you fix, returning it to the factory is an option. I know, that would be extremely frustrating on a new gun; so stick with it, hopefuly we can get you going. (y)
I don't currently have money for the gun range. I have fired literally one shot through it so far, and it jammed up immediately after. I don't have anywhere I can take it to break it in, because I live in the city and do not have a car. I hear other people shooting guns off in my neighborhood all the time, but I'm not risking it.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
So how would I know if he messed this part up, or not? Currently, when I stick an empty mag in and cock it, it still locks back in place. It isn't going far enough to reach the pin, though.
Left side above the grip. You can see part of it. Has a little spring attached to it. He could have bent it to where it's catching on the slide. Unfortunately you need to remove the slide to check it out.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
Slide could also be catching on the sear. Try squeezing the trigger real hard while pulling back the slide.

Reactions: 97RAYMOND

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the weirdest thing just happened. I took the mag out, tried racking it back, and when I did this, the gun made a cocking sound like it was chambering a round. I don't understand how this gun works, but I thought it wasn't supposed to do that without a magazine in it. I thought the slide would just move all the back with no noise. After hearing this sound, I pull it back all the way, and voila, I can now lock the slide. I have no idea how I got it to work, but I did.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
It'll cock without a mag. Normal.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
1 - 20 of 86 Posts