Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don't currently have money for the gun range. I have fired literally one shot through it so far, and it jammed up immediately after. I don't have anywhere I can take it to break it in, because I live in the city and do not have a car. I hear other people shooting guns off in my neighborhood all the time, but I'm not risking it.
Said right here that I shot it and it jammed immediately after. Never said it jammed 5 times, no, but it technically did during the course of me shooting it this one time. Jammed numerous times trying to chamber a round, and jammed again after firing one round.

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts
Ok….when it fails to feed the first round from the mag….we don’t usually call that a “jam”. That’s a “failure to feed”. That can happen due to operator error, or magazine problems, or something in the gun itself. Not being able to pull the slide fully to the rear could cause that.👍

When it jammed after shooting, what happened? Was the slide stuck open? Was a bullet partially stripped out of the magazine, but “jammed” with the nose up or down, so the slide couldn’t go forward? Or did the slide close, but no bullet in the chamber?

·
Resident PITA
16,308 Posts
Ok….when it fails to feed the first round from the mag….we don’t usually call that a “jam”. That’s a “failure to feed”. That can happen due to operator error, or magazine problems, or something in the gun itself. Not being able to pull the slide fully to the rear could cause that.👍
Just guessing here from my interactions with him, your last guess combined with an improperly loaded mag.

When it jammed after shooting, what happened? Was the slide stuck open? Was a bullet partially stripped out of the magazine, but “jammed” with the nose up or down, so the slide couldn’t go forward? Or did the slide close, but no bullet in the chamber?
Stovepipe.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
22,271 Posts
I suspect this is.his first gun. He needs to learn to not be afraid of it. Finger off the trigger. Slingshot the slide like you hate it, don't ride the slide. Let it fly.

Load the mags with the nose up on the bullets, smack the mag on your palm forcing them backwards on their bases.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I suspect this is.his first gun. He needs to learn to not be afraid of it. Finger off the trigger. Slingshot the slide like you hate it, don't ride the slide. Let it fly.

Load the mags with the nose up on the bullets, smack the mag on your palm forcing them backwards on their bases.
First handgun that wasn't a revolver. I know about making sure the bullets are sticking up. I don't think that's the problem, I think it's the Sig Sauer V-Crowns I have. When I first fired it, I couldn't chamber the V-Crowns at all, switched to SinterFire Special Duty and was able to chamber it and fire it. Still jammed after the first shot. Not sure why.

Also, when the gun was failing to chamber, I remember pulling like 2-3 bullets out at once and the slide getting jammed to the point of almost not being able to move.

·
Premium Member
22,271 Posts
Next time take pictures and these guys will help diagnose your situation.

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts
First handgun that wasn't a revolver. I know about making sure the bullets are sticking up. I don't think that's the problem, I think it's the Sig Sauer V-Crowns I have. When I first fired it, I couldn't chamber the V-Crowns at all, switched to SinterFire Special Duty and was able to chamber it and fire it. Still jammed after the first shot. Not sure why.
So, that’s more info…try some cheap basic FMJ. Most guns will choke on hollow points until broken in.

Also, when the gun was failing to chamber, I remember pulling like 2-3 bullets out at once and the slide getting jammed to the point of almost not being able to move.
Pulling 2-3 bullets out of the side of the slide? That’s completely abnormal. Maybe video yourself trying to chamber a round. It sounds.Ike you are doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts
Just guessing here from my interactions with him, your last guess combined with an improperly loaded mag.
That’s what I’m thinking, plus the JHP’s,

Stovepipe.
Did he say that? Not the impression I got…you have to fire a bullet to get that, and he’s had piles of “jams” with only 1 successful ignition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So, that’s more info…try some cheap basic FMJ. Most guns will choke on hollow points until broken in.

When I bought I only had enough money for some ammo for self defense. Bought the gun as a home defense gun. Am going to apply for my concealed carry, and start taking it to the gun range at some point.

·
Resident PITA
16,308 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,948 Posts
No Al. That was a subtle limp wristing joke. Some people got it.
No, they didn’t. Pretty subtle, all right, he’s only had one possible limp wrist out of 5 or 10 or a bazillion jams.

This whole thing is a joke, I can barely keep up even without your lame jokes.🥵

·
Resident PITA
16,308 Posts
No, they didn’t. Pretty subtle, all right, he’s only had one possible limp wrist out of 5 or 10 or a bazillion jams.

This whole thing is a joke, I can barely keep up even without your lame jokes.🥵
What's there to keep up with? Everything in this one comes down to one cause. At most the gun needs a little breaking in (and probably a new firing pin by now) The real work needs to be done on the other side of the trigger.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that the one time he miraculously got it to fire it would have caught him by surprise and scared the shit out of him.

·
Premium Member
26,360 Posts
Am taking it back to the store and trading it for a Ruger, instead. Feel like I wasted my money.
Did I read you couldn't afford practice ammo for a Hi Point, but you suddenly have Ruger money?

Send it in to HP (mom) and they'll tear it apart and fix it up or replace it if they can't. Cheaper than a box of ammo or a Ruger in this day and age...

Reactions: ajole

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Did I read you couldn't afford practice ammo for a Hi Point, but you suddenly have Ruger money?

Send it in to HP (mom) and they'll tear it apart and fix it up or replace it if they can't. Cheaper than a box of ammo or a Ruger in this day and age...
Used EC9s for $250. Not much more than I paid for the HiPoint, and ammo. I just didn't want a used gun.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts
Used EC9s for $250. Not much more than I paid for the HiPoint, and ammo. I just didn't want a used gun.
If they give you a hundred dollars I'd be surprised. Thats the going rate here for a used one.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,346 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,271 Posts
Reactions: RACHGIER
41 - 60 of 83 Posts