CF380 slide not align

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by oldretiredcpo, Sep 28, 2015.

1. oldretiredcpo

oldretiredcpo Member

The slide on my CF380 does not lineup properly to remove the pin for cleaning and I want to polish the ramp due to jamming. I do not have a lot of strength in my hands and have a bad back.:mad:

I have a couple C9's and one 45 Hi-point pistols without this problem. I did purchase this at Eglin Air Force base on sale for $125 several years ago and just now got around to shooting the CF380. Due to jamming read about the polishing the ramp, but as mention can not get the slide in position to remove the pin.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm not convinced polishing the ramp does much, out of 17 HP's, I polished one, but none of them have any issues.

There were some that "had" issues, but tweaking the mag lips fixed it every time.

I assume you are seeing the rounds stuck nose down? If so, try spreading the front lips just a touch. If it continues, spread the front of the rear lips a bit. If it starts jamming nose up, you went too far.

As to the slide notch and pin, there are two possibilities.

Can you push it far enough to align, but the safety won't keep it there? If so, use a padded clamp on the exposed barrel to hold the slide back.

If you cannot possibly get them to align, just use a dremel to cut a small amount out of the notch on the slide, to expose the pin. Really, it will be OK.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Shove a toothpick between the slide & safety.

4. elt51932

elt51932 Member

I think, that after you clean and oil it, you won't an issue with jams. I've never done anything to mine. Although I clean it after I shoot it every time. It doesn't matter how many rounds I've fired through it, it doesn't go back in the safe til is been cleaned.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. elt51932

elt51932 Member

I remember seeing a video of a guy looping a string through the trigger guard and under the barrel the he took a screw driver and twisted the string until the slide was back far enough. Then he just used his punch to knock the pin out.

6. Toothpick, or any type of shim should do the trick, as already suggested. I use a allen wrench to tap out the pin. But all you really have to do is get the pin started with a small enough punch, then the correct size punch will keep it back until the pin is clear.

You should also load the mags, and leave them loaded all the time, at least for a couple weeks. Do the same thing with the slide. I did this with ours before shooting, and have never had a problem, no polishing, no mag tweeking. I had already researched before the wife bought the gun, and that was one of the suggestions.

You can't really access the gun until you have it broke in, this is normal with many semi autos.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  7. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

Most C9s and CF380s I have seen are made that way. You can make the cutout bigger using a dremel I guess.

8. oldretiredcpo

oldretiredcpo Member

Well walking wolf sounds good, but if I can't get the slide modified it would be hell getting it back on.

Tried the shim route, but kept falling out while hitting the punch. Most likely once apart and a good cleaning just may solve the problem of jams.

My lady tried the 738, C-9, & glock 26/19, but seemly liked the feel of the CF380 the best and she is ex-military (Navy) retired.

9. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

This is the best way, "padded clamp." AFTER, you get the slide off the frame, then use a small die grinder or dremel to open up the notch.. Your going to have to clean it sometime.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  10. panfan75

panfan75 Member

I've bent the safety lever back a little. Works better doesn't effect the function. This I did on both c9 and cf380.

11. oldretiredcpo

oldretiredcpo Member

I have tried several times to get the pin out so I can remove the slide with no luck. As noted before tried the shim which did not work. I tried both 3/32 & 1/8 punches and have hit them to me quite hard with no movement of the pin. I am afraid to hit it much harder and of course the slide comes out of safety when hitting it. There seems to me no movement on the pin like it is almost glued in.

If I could get the slide off I could get the mod for the pin clearance of the slide, but looks like i am up the creek doing it myself.

I guess nothing else left, except to call customer service Monday.

12. oldretiredcpo

oldretiredcpo Member

Success on getting the slide off after I had called customer service and boxed the CF380 I decided after reading the requirement for shipping a handgun to give it one more try. I used a little more force to get the 1/8 punch into the hole and while holding it as level as I could gave it a couple hits with the 2 pound hammer and the pin came out.

I took the slide across the street to the hot rod shop and he is going to enlarge the hole and while there i checked his C9 which had the same problem and he is also going to do his C9. Oh he bought the C9 as a backup shop weapon, but has never fired it.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Of my handguns I personally like my xd 9mm the best overall, but do shoot the C9 now and then. Only shot the 45 once and maybe i should do more with it.

13. oldretiredcpo

oldretiredcpo Member

When over to the hot rod shop and one of the fellows visiting was a locally well known gunsmith with as i hear about ever license you can get when it comes to guns (a former US Marine) was looking at the slide and when I came in informed me that there was no way he would enlarge the holes and it was not professional thing to do to the slide in my words not his. He was quite straight forward not to do it and was informer by the owner of the hot rod shop he was informed the same thing by another gunsmith earlier in the morning. The marine has manufactured some very special weapons for quite expensive pricing I understand. I know he doesn't think much of Glocks and of course a big 1911 guy.

My answer was there is nothing I can see riding nor guided by the holes on the slide for functioning of the weapon. He was not what I call happy with my reply and as I told him this was a known problem and fix posted for quite some time on the forum with no negative statements that I have been able to find. He left with more or less its a is a Hi-Point with a not to nice of a tone in his voice.

Oh well, I told the owner to go ahead and do it and offered to take his C9 apart so that he could do it at the same time, but he took a pass on that.

14. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Sounds like he was just a gun snob.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good for you. It's just a clearance thing, there's no stress there, no issues at all. You could actually do the job with a file or an emery board like women use on fingernails, but a Dremel makes it a 5 second job.:p

16. oldretiredcpo

oldretiredcpo Member

The marine ( gunsmith ) deal on not doing the slide was based on the take down
    pin. He felt that by enlarging the hole it could led to the pin coming out and make the weapon unsafe. Of course should the pin start to move out of the hole it would most likely make contact with the slide and that should stop the gun.

As for being a gun snob I am sure he more then qualified and of course personally feels that there is only one truly good service and that is the marine. Hee!

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Won't happen. Pin is only exposed when the slide is locked back. Grab a metal file and go lay on the couch and watch tv while you solve your issue.

18. dynapoint

dynapoint Member

You're talking about the notch in the slide, not the hole the pin goes into, right? I wouldn't mess with the hole the pin goes into, that's gotta be a fairly tight fit, but there's no reason not to widen the notch a bit so you can get a punch in there.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Wait...:eek:

Who said to enlarge the "hole"?

We are all talking about enlarging the "notch" in the slide, not the "hole" in the frame....right?

20. elt51932

elt51932 Member

I think he means the hole (notch) in the slide. Based on the beginning of his comment.