Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious why people choose the CF380 over the C9. The specs are identical on the actual gun. I don't get why people choose .380 when the ammo is more expensive and weaker.

BTW, in no way am I trying to insult anybody's choice or anything, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
247 Posts
William Keefer
www.fraternalorderoflawenforcement.com/founder_info.html

A few years ago I ran into this unbelievably glowing review of the CF-380 at his old website. Seeing such a review of a then $90 gun coming from someone with his credentials caught my attention. I came close to getting a CF-380 just to see what it was like. I even contacted him about the review, and in a nutshell, he said it was a heck of a gun.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050306150532/http://www.fraternalorderlawenforcement.com/hipoint.html
I still haven't gotten around to getting one. I imagine curiosity will get the better of me sooner or later.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
when it comes to hi point since they are the same size and the recoil diff is minimal I would choose the 9mm

·
Registered
638 Posts
The 380 at most gun shops I have been to are a little less in price than the 9mm. Maybe that is why people buy them... however in the long run you would spend more with the 380 because of ammo. I don't know why people get the 380. Only reason I can think of is base price.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
It *seems* to be that the CF380 just doesn't have the feed issues that are so common with the C9. I don't understand why, and I could definitely be wrong, but that's the impression that I get.
when I signed on to this forum, i was looking at the comments on the 9 & .38 to get an overall opinion of owner satisfaction. I also noticed that there were few comments about .38 having feed issues compared to the 9 mm , in which FTF's seemed to be more of a problem. although it could be that the number of 9 mms in use may be much higher ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. New here.
I bought my 380 just before Christmas because, well, it was on sale($98). I love it.
Went out shooting with my dad and his Kimber 45. The Kimber jammed 3 times, and the 380 shot flawlessly.
I was looking at the C9, but I guess I should look and compare ammo prices.
At Walmart I can get 100, 380 Winchester rounds for $31 and change.

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
I took the C9 and the CF380 out today for some shooting. Just went to a friends house out in the country and put a target on a tree, it was pretty windy but still had a reasonable amount of success considering I hadn't fired a handgun in probably 20 years. Really liked them both, actually had better groups with the 380, shot probably 100 rounds through the 9mm and 75 in the 380, only had 2 FTE. Very happy with the guns, looking forward to shooting in a more controlled environment (indoor range) Both shot nicely, might try the ghost ring sight next time on one of them to see if I like it better. Overall a great experience, very happy with my purchases.

·
514 Posts
I really find that kind of a difference in price between 9mm and 380 amazing! I buy my ammo (for my cf380 and 995) between Fleet Farm and some local shops and have NEVER seen a difference of more than a buck for 50rnds...

cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looked for a 9mm and there was a waiting list of at least 8 buyers at each of my 5 local dealers. And only one dealer had only one 380, so I bought it for $119 and have just added an $18, 10 round magazine that makes if fit my big hands better. The commercial ammo I saw was only about a buck or so apart in price, and since this is not a target gun, 100 rounds will last me forever. I did find some import carry ammo that has better data than the 9mm, actually equal to a 38 sp. It comes from Toledo, Spain and is the hottest 380 around. It is a Truncated Cone partial copper with a flat lead insert that gives good penetration and expansion. I got 25 from a private source so not sure where it is available. My FMJ practice ammo is also hot with a 92 gr bullet. Good energy numbers too: It comes from Sellier & Bellot (Czechoslovakia). http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and-revolver-detail.php?ammunition=9&product=170.

I realize that most buy 380's because they are a lot smaller and lighter than most 9mm, such as Kel-Tec. With HP, both being physically identical, that is not the case so I suspect the 9mm is the better choice. I use the 380 as a car gun and will probably pick up a Kel-Tec for pocket carry. My HP 40 sleeps beside my bed, so each gun has a good purpose I suppose.

IMHO, of course as always, BC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For how much .380 cost a box you might as well buy a real pocket gun such as a seacamp .32 or a jetfire .25 acp

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.