Champion Metal Pop-Up (Diamond) Target

Discussion in 'Consumer Reviews' started by tallbump, Aug 18, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Picked one of these up Saturday morning.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-Traps-and-Targets-44886-Metal-Pop-Up-Target-Diamond-Shape/26963730

I know they have been discussed here. I think maybe Ajole has one?

Anyways, took it to my buddy's house, along with my M&P 15-22.

We had it set up at approximately 50 yards. We fired Winchester Super X from the M&P.
    My buddy fired his Intratec 22 using just cheap Federal bulk .22LR

His son fired a Savage Mark 2 .22, not sure what type of ammo. My daughter put some rounds through her Rascal using Blazer .22lr.

All told, we probably fired over 500 rounds. Not sure how many actually hit the target, probably around half give or take.

Not too surprising, the orange paint did not hold up. By the end, you could barely see the target.

When I went to pick it up, I was quite surprised to find we had bent this target. It was bent forward, like a banana. Not creased, but a definite, substantial curve. I should have grabbed a pic.

All in all, was it worth the $10? Maybe. Maybe if we would have have more than 1, or really any other target, it would have lasted longer. It is still usable. Not sure if I can bend it back in shape, I'll let you know next time we go to sue it. I left it at his house as that's about the only place I can use it anyways.

It was definitely fun having a reactive target. The size was good and it was easy to see until the paint wore off.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend it if your gong to unload a lot of rounds in a sort period of time, but for occasional plinking of 50 rounds or so, probably a good buy

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Ive got the 3 circle spinner set with the same issue. All 3 of the metal target circles are now cupped from so many hits.
    They probably were never intended for the thousands of rounds that have hit them, but yours after only 500 id contact the company about. That seems like a very low number to be damaged already.

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I was thinking that it seemed that it shoudl have held up better. But I figured the Super X rounds are a little harder hitting.

Maybe I will get it from my buddy and contact them and see what they say

4. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

happens to all mine too. i have 2 sets of spinners, the ones that have a bottom row of 4 and 1 top spinner. When they cup i just take of my big target plates and put the cupped spinner in between them, then put them in the vice. like new.

I also keep several cans of spray paint handy. i have found that black covers the old bullet marks the easiest and in turn uses less paint.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, I have one. .22 Mag puts a serious hurt on it. HV ammo will bend it. Low velocity or pistol fired ammo seems to be fine.

For the money, it's OK by me. I'll pound it flat if it gets bad.

I have a few of the self sealing plastic balls of various shapes, and a spinner. Plus the SIL got me a 2.5" Jumping target, AR500 steel, says it will handle rimfire and 9mm/.40/.45 at 25 yards plus.

[​IMG]

6. rippinryno

those self healing ball things are fun. what's fun to do with those is throw them in the air and hit them with a 12 gauge and watch them fly.

here's a cheap larger setup i did for budget, i had the dimensional board from a coop i built awhile bak, but the targets cost me like 26 bucks, another 15 for the heavy duty hooks and nuts, so around 40-50 bucks total, should last until boards get chewed up, but then its' an even fix. targets are 6" round hangers with pre drilled holes.

Attached Files:

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I had ten of those HAD. We got bored one day and used our ARs :-D

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Crap Rippy has self healing balls :O
    they are fun to shoot with a shoot gun. :-D

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hey, if you can throw them in the air...you can shoot them.

;)

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

You toss his balls, ill shoot them.

11. rippinryno

big balls make easy targets

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

So we'll need a magnified scope? Thanks for the heads up. ;)