Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about keeping some charcoal on hand for SHTF scenarios? If it comes down to a power grid out of service, while I have some wood on my land, I do not have enough to last a long time. I have been thinking about trying to put back a reserve of charcoal for use in my smoker/grill for cooking, pasteurizing water, etc. I know that charcoal must be kept dry, and it is a space hog, but what do you all think about its use for SHTF? I have a few 20 lb. canisters of propane put back, but I plan on using it for emergency heat for the house, and if I can come up with a different solution for cooking, the propane will last that much longer.

I also have the plans to build a solar oven, and hopefully I will have it done this week. I will post results and pics when I get it finished.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If you have the space a few bags of charcoal wouldnt be a bad idea. It will cook/heat just as well during SHTF as it does/did before it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I keep 200 pounds or so of charcoal on hands at all times.

If I had more space for it (away from the house) I'd probably keep a ton. Food, water and ammo are all nice, but don't do you much good if you are freezing to death.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Food, water and ammo are all nice, but don't do you much good if you are freezing to death.
True story. And you can't drink water when it's a block of ice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts