Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s been more than 25 years since I last used a non-propane grill to cook. Wife and I are renting a cabin that only has a round charcoal grill.

Help me ObiWan! I got two 8lb bags of charcoal and some starter thingies cause I never liked the the taste that start fluid leaves.

Gonna heat up king crab legs (usually only take 5-10 minutes on my propane grill) and cook steaks.

Any tips? How long to cook? Should I get a thermometer gun?

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
I use lump charcoal almost exclusively. Lighten knots to start it in a chimney. Old newspaper works well also, if you have it.

Let the lump charcoal flame out and cover with a gray ash. Cook like you would over your gas grill. After cooking shut the oxygen off to the coals and you can reuse what’s left, just add some fresh to it.

Beware of using briquettes. Some of what you taste might not be the starter fluid. Lump charcoal uses binders to help it keep its form. It can add unwanted flavor as well.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Only ever cooked crab in boiling water. That’s coming from a dad and grandparents that caught fresh crab themselves, and from working in professional kitchens, so I have no idea how to deal with grilling them.

You shouldn’t need all 16 lbs of charcoal. Just pile your charcoal up as high as you can, without the grill on top, with the starters at the bottom of the pile. So, make 1 layer of coals with the starters spread out evenly, and 1 right in the center, and paper strips from the bag arranged so you can light them all once coals are piled on top. It’s ok to cut the starters, so they cover more spots in your pile. Stack the rest of the coals on top, light the paper, make sure the starters are going, and then wait until you have coals with ash, no flame. Spread them out, put the grill on, and after a minute of two for it to heat up, start cooking.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
get a chimney starter. Four or five sheets of newspaper, wadded up (not twisted) will get a full load of coals going.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
4-5 pounds of charcoal for cooking for 2 if it is a covered Weber type grill. If it is one of those round open park grills you will need more charcoal, maybe 8 pounds... I always took my baby Weber with camping. Modded it for better airflow by drilling the bottom and top vent holes larger with a step bit. It would choke the fire off otherwise.

And as others have said, charcoal chimney and news paper, or other non chemical fire starter of choice.

No help on the crab legs, don't eat them...

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
I just bought a new set of 20" tongs.

I use an electric starter for my charcoal.

eldar

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Crab was deep frozen (we don’t get it any other way in Ohio).

I also did 16oz ribeye the next night.

One 8lb bag of Expert Grill Briquets started using some wax coated wood shavings balls (can’t remember the brand). To be honest, I’ve never started a charcoal grill so easily and quickly.

Six minutes per side for the thawed crab legs.

Steaks anywhere from 3 minutes per side to my 8 minutes per side.

Worked great.

Reactions: moona11

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I need to get a new bag of charcoal, the 1/2 bag I have has lost whatever it is they use to ignite the Insta-light stuff with. My days of pouring gas on them ended years ago. It's probably been 2-3 years since I last used my grill, been baking hamburgers in the oven lately. Not much mess to clean up and taste damn good. Put them on a cookie sheet/pan covered with foil and a wire rack to keep them up off the surface of the sheet/pan. Middle rack at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on if they're frozen. Little bit of Worcestershire or A1 and some salt/pepper...D-Licious!!!

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
I need to get a new bag of charcoal, the 1/2 bag I have has lost whatever it is they use to ignite the Insta-light stuff with. My days of pouring gas on them ended years ago. It's probably been 2-3 years since I last used my grill, been baking hamburgers in the oven lately. Not much mess to clean up and taste damn good. Put them on a cookie sheet/pan covered with foil and a wire rack to keep them up off the surface of the sheet/pan. Middle rack at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on if they're frozen. Little bit of Worcestershire or A1 and some salt/pepper...D-Licious!!!
I have a gas stove with the griddle for a 5th burner. Minus the char taste you get from a grill, they're just as good.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Steaks need to be rare... sear the outside, get the center to body temp.... Butcher coarse grinds sirloin, adds grated onion, salt, pepper, olive oil. Has it on a bed of ice on his counter for customers to snack on. Pile of rye crackers to scoop it onto. He also sells it, lots of it! Says he makes 20 pounds a day. Local bars serve it as an appetizer or as a bar snack. Good stuff! Cannibal meat!

Reactions: Stromm

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
Steaks need to be rare... sear the outside, get the center to body temp.... Butcher coarse grinds sirloin, adds grated onion, salt, pepper, olive oil. Has it on a bed of ice on his counter for customers to snack on. Pile of rye crackers to scoop it onto. He also sells it, lots of it! Says he makes 20 pounds a day. Local bars serve it as an appetizer or as a bar snack. Good stuff! Cannibal meat!
Its not cannibal meat.

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Its not cannibal meat.
It's what they're called though. Tiger meat or cannibal sandwiches are usually raw ground beef with onions. I've had a few. Guy probably CYA's by flashing the surface.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
I guess if you’re a cow...they WOULD be cannibal meat.

Personally, I’m a human, we have fire, and MY taste buds have been evolved over millennia to prefer some char, no matter what the freaking French say.

Medium rare steaks, well done (but still juicy) burgers. I like grilled over flame, but I also like pan fried. Different, but both good.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
It's what they're called though. Tiger meat or cannibal sandwiches are usually raw ground beef with onions. I've had a few. Guy probably CYA's by flashing the surface.
Nope ground and served. It is his selling point for butcher services. That place is spotless, the equipment is cleaned between batches of ground meat so no carry over like in other shops who clean the grinder once a day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts