Charging handle questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by PapaMAS, Sep 28, 2015.

1. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

I'm tired of it being on the left. Not sure why it was designed that way. Anyway, I see Brass Stacker makes right-side charging handles - anyone have any experience with them, good or bad? Also, those are for the 9mm only - anyone know of any for a 4595?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

You cant switch it on the 4095 or the 4595.
    Only on the 995.

What real issue is there with it being on the left?

3. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Only problem I noticed on mine is that if I had to carry it by sling the handle would seriously jab me in a certain body part. :eek:

4. I also like the charging handle to be on the rightside.
    Have 4595
    my right arm is stronger, right hander...........

I brought a bigger charging handle to help me
    to charged the bolt..................:d

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Maybe he likes the AK style, Talon... :D
    Some people want all their platforms to have
    as much equivalence as possible, it seems.
    HP is cheap and easy to switch I guess.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because having it on the right-hand side is an anachronism causally linked to using the rifle sling as a stabilizing platform, which immobilized the left hand, and dates back to before the U.S. Revolutionary War. Modern combat carbine techniques allow for the right hand (assumed to be the dominant, and therefore trigger, hand) to remain on the grip while the left hand can come free of the fore-arm to change magazines and operate the charging handle. This is further facilitated by a change in the modern combat rifle stance to a more squared-on, front-facing, position from the earlier bladed position, made possible by modern ballistic armor.

In other words, the charging handle on the right hand side of modern carbines is the equivalent of an appendix.

I've got a thread around here somewhere in which I post a lot of research and references to support this thesis.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

About 100% sure he won't be seeing much combat usage with his HP.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So, roughly the same percentage as me and my AR which still has the same general layout and controls as the mil only version?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

Exactly. The only difference being, the AR was designed to aesthetically be similar to a military rifle, so it clearly makes sense that its features are very similar. The HP was not designed after a military counterpart, but simply as a cheap yet highly effective tool.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, let me preface this by admitting that what I'm about to posit is open to argument but follow along first.

I posit:
    1. The right side charging handle is an anachronism linked to technology which is now niche in military application.
    2. The majority of military riflemen training will more and more be geared to keeping the right hand on the handle, maintaining a sight picture, and using the left to swap mags and then using the left, again, to operate the charging handle or the bolt-release.
    3. The increasing use of body armor by the military rifleman, which requires a more squared off, forward facing stance, will also encourage the use of the left hand for mag swaps and bolt-release.
    4. The decreasing weight of battle rifles and ammunition will continue to make it easier for the trigger/pistol-grip (right) hand to maintain sight picture (or at least general muzzle direction) during mag swaps using the left hand.

It will therefore become increasingly common for the military trained rifleman to expect left handed mag swaps and charger/bolt-release manipulation. He will prefer the same conceptual layout on his civilian rifles. Further, because of the general "follow along" effect (aka "wanabes"), civilians who aren't retired military will also prefer a similar conceptual layout.

For that reason, left side/ambi bolt-releases and charging handles will become more and more the norm. It therefore makes sense for HP to keep this pattern.

That said, was this the reason that HP chose to use a left-side layout? I somehow doubt it. I honestly suspect that it was probably linked closely with a lower cost of manufacture. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Your knee cap?

13. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Lol, nope! A lot higher! It was mostly iirc when I was trying the sling on the left side. Was trying to find a comfortable yet quick to ready position. Gave up because I kept getting jabbed and changed it to the right side.

14. Your chin? ??

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

You know we are all about pictures here......:blush:

16. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

Ummm...I don't like it there. I'm not being the smart ass I normally am, it's just that every other rifle I have has the handle on the right. IIRC, the M-16 and M-4 charging handle can be operated by the right hand as they are centered. When I operate the handle I can keep my left hand on the stock forward of the action and do everything else with my right.

That sucks. Thanks for the response!

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    where it belongs, so you won't get jabbed.:p

How many of your other rifles are pistol gripped pistol caliber carbines?

Basically, every pistol on the planet is designed to be operated with your strong hand staying planted on the grip.

Same thing for the PCC, or the AR/M16; you keep your right hand on the grip, and use your left hand to reload and operate the bolt.

That's how the H&K MP series works, and they are recognized as the best in the business. Most others work that way as well.

Because they are pistol gripped rifles and carbines, not bolt action rifle stocked rifles.

Of course, this assumes you aren't one of those crazy left handed folks.:p

Which in training would result in your DI coming unglued in your ear, and several sessions of doing large numbers of push-ups as you thought carefully about how to properly use your left hand to swap mags as the manual of arms tells you to do it, since the bolt locks open without using the charging handle, the mag release is on the right where your trigger hand should stay, and the bolt release is on the left.

So you are telling me you push the mag release, let the mag drop to the ground, then AFTER that, with your right hand you release the grip, open a mag pouch, grab a mag, put it in the magwell, and THEN reach over the top with your right hand to flip the bolt release, and THEN grab the pistol grip again?

That's slow, and makes no sense, as the easy way is to reach for the mag with your left hand while simultaneously pressing the mag release with your trigger finger, then slapping the mag in and popping the bolt release with that left hand as it goes back out to the forend.

Honestly, the only time you use the right hand on an M16 charging handle is maybe when you lock and load the first round, then at the clearing barrel, or when cleaning it.

18. Hdonly

Hdonly Member

I like it where it is. I tend to hold it more like a pistol anyway. Right hand on the grip, left on the right and pull it tight to my shoulder. Comfortable and stable. Left hand is quick to the mag release and work the bolt. Just like it should be with a pistol grip. Just me!

19. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

Wow. I didn't post a simple question to be drug down into a philosophical debate or given a lecture on proper Army M-16 etiquette. I asked if if it were possible to have a hunk of metal installed on the other side of my firearm - the firearm that you can do what I described, and the one which you can have that hunk of metal on the other side in a different caliber.

Y'all need to chill.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hi, I'm Kirk. Welcome to Hi Point Firearms Forums. ;)

You also wrote, "Not sure why it was designed that way." You received an answer to that unknown.

You also received an answer to that unknown as well.

You got accurate answers to both of the unknowns you listed in your OP. What's the problem?

Hi, I'm Kirk. Welcome to Hi Point Firearms Forums.

:rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk