Charter arms explorer II anybody have one?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by sbuchho345, Mar 9, 2015.

1. I have a charter arms explorer ||. In .22 lr. I got it about..30 years ago from my grand pa. The barrel is threaded on just like the Henry survival rifle. As a matter if fact the receiver almost looks the same. One mag is stored inside the pistol grip and the magazine in use goes just ahead of the trigger guard. I've put thousands of rounds thru this thing. I was told it was intended as a backpack, hiking handgun. Undo the threaded collar and it breaks down into a small unit. Over the years I've found it to be accurate enough to take squirrels, rabbits, moles and possums. I saw the thread on the Henry survival rifle and got me curious if anyone knows more or has one of these.[​IMG]
    PS. Look no feet in the picture!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I had one of the ArmaLite AR7's. Wish I still did. I keep threatening to buy the Henry version.

3. There's not a ton of these floating around... I think there was also an extend mag that is even harder to find.

4. I love mine, was the first pistol I ever owned. I did find that by always making sure that I indexed the barrel against the lug in the same direction. Accuracy was impressively reliable.

5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

That thing is cool. Never saw that before.

I want one LOL

6. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

It was produced between 1973 to 1990,, not sure of the exact date of production of the pistols,, that is a ballpark time as to when Charter Arms had production rights,, after that Survival Arms had the rights to the AR-7,, until 1997 when Henry aquired the rights

The rifle and pistol used the same action,, with a slight variation to the barrel connection,, and the barrels,, so they could't be interchagable..

The pistol came in 2 different barrel lengths 8 and 10"

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. Mine must be older, it has ten round mags not the 8 I see listed for the AR 7

8. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

It is possible that you have aftermarket mags.. My Armalite,, Charter Arms,, Survival Arms,,and Henry factory mags are all 8 rounders also.. But I do have a few old aftermarket 10 round mags,, that I've collected over the years,, and newer 15 round mags for them..

9. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

FWIW, Survival Arms built the AR7 under license. Charter sold the rights to Henry.

10. I have no idea, these are are the mags I got with it, three of them.

11. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

There's two on Gunbroker right now. One for $249 and the other is $170 with a buy it now of $200. They both state 10 rnd mags. Both look good too.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

love it. It looks awesome. I definitely need one of these for myspace gun collection eventually.

that may actually be a banning offense. I'll have to check the bylaws. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

13. Don't want to get banned good God sooooooo[​IMG]
    Happy now?

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Can you imagine that conversation on another forum?
    "What a bunch of (expletive) over there on the HPFF forums. They banned me for life because I refused to put my feet in the pictures of my guns."

15. Sorry, but the rules are rules. You can't change it just because you're a moderator now.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That would be true if I was just a moderator. :D

17. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I always figured the foot rule only applied to rifles? I motion that pistols me exempt for that rule

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Feet have to be in it tall which you didn't do with your Blazer. You now have to join the Glock forum and post pics why you hate them and keep going until you get banned. Then you are worthy.

19. I was going to call you out for not showing your feet, pointing out that I'm sure I'd have remembered the pretty pink toenail polish. Then I realized we're going down a road that's going to get us all black listed as foot freaks and probably on a list maintained by the government.

On the other hand, better that than having to join the Glock forum.

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Its the rules man :p