Charter Mag Pug issues.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gman68W, Jan 21, 2016.

1. gman68W

gman68W Lemme Show Ya Something! Member

I'm gonna be sending this thing in for the third time to have the transfer bar replaced, which has snapped again. I really can't figure out why it's happening. When I first got it, I'd been able to put three 50-round boxes of .357 Magnum through it, no problems. Then I started using .38 Special because it was cheaper and I just wanted to plink.

Near as I can figure, the .38 Special is the issue. It's of a lower pressure, so I guess it's not expanding quickly enough to catch the chamber walls and stop it from slamming back into the pin, which puts too much stress on the bar for it not to crack over time. The other tell-tale sign pointing to this theory is all the black gunk that rings the bit where the firing pin comes through the frame.

Would having the cylinder replaced solve this issue? I figure the chamber walls have gotten "polished" over the years of cleaning, and there's nothing for the low-pressure cases to catch on.

2. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

You are certainly thinking. You'd think if it was gonna break anything it'd do it with the magnums, so i agree there is something not right with your gun. I can't help except to say my dad bought a little feather weight Charter 38 for his wife. It had light primer strikes right out of the box. They wanted it back, and had it back in pop's hands in under two weeks. They rebuilt the hole center section of the gun including replacing the crane and cylinder and hand fitting the parts. everything about that gun was better when he got it back. Are you getting a copy of the work order with corrections when you get it back. That's what dad got, each item was initialed by the guy who did the work. It was very professional.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just cannot imagine a round pushing the firing pin back hard enough to push the transfer bar hard enough to break it, especially with the hammer right there. If it WERE pushing that hard, wouldn't the firing pin show some damage?

Besides...there's a big flat face of metal back there behind the cylinder, it stops the case from moving too far, not the case's grip on the cylinder wall. The round can only go so far back, and the firing pin is sitting on a primer, not the case...:confused:

4. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    One of my best friends had a Charter bulldog 44 special that went back four times in three years for different reasons. On at least one of the trips, he got a entirety new gun. He finally learned his lesson and got rid of it.

5. gman68W

It's just so weird. It's always the transfer bar that I've had to send it back for. It's always snapped in the same spot at the base of it. The last time I sent it back, they recut the barrel and replaced the cylinder crane and the hammer itself for me (I didn't even know there was anything wrong with them), so they obviously had it taken apart and inspected the rest of it. If something was going to show up as the reason, they would have found it.

Here's the exploded view

The transfer bar (#42) is there on the right, with the trigger group. Any of you guys see anything that might be a cause?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. I agree with Ajole, sounds like there are other problems. Are you short stroking, which is bad on a DA revolver. Some revolvers like Ruger will not allow a short stroke. But short stroking can lock up the internals, and break something.

The primer is softer than the FP, and the case head. I really doubt it is the case slamming back. In fact the moment there is ignition the case is moving to the face on any round before it gets a chance to seal. All my cases have some breach printing. Just need a mag glass to see it in most cases.

Ask for a new gun, maybe the frame cuts are out of spec. If that is the case replacing the transfer bar will not solve the problem.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just keep coming back the the fact that I have one Charter Arms gun, and it malfunctions, but they don't make it anymore, so I'm on my own with it. Not sure I trust them.

8. Which one, not the 327 magnum by chance. That is out of production because it could not withstand the pressure.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    AR-7 .22 actually.:p

The trigger often releases the hammer on reset...so I get unintentional doubles.
    I've measured a bit, and compared parts to my Henry, (but not too hard) and I can't find the problem.

Some day, maybe, I'll get serious and find the bad part. But it's low in the priority list, I have nearly 50 other .22's that keep me happy...:D

10. I think the company has changed hands several times since they produced that gun. Most reports on the new CA I hear are good. And when the guns are sent back they are promptly repaired.

11. gman68W

Can you guys go off-topic on Skype or something? You know, "Get a room", as it were?

Right, pulling this topic back on track:
    I don't short-stroke, since I'm just plinking with the thing and have time to pull the hammer back for each shot.

I don't know if the frame is out of spec, but I did just order a set of grips for the gun from Altamont, and the frame of the pistol was too narrow for the grips to fit snugly (it rattled around from side to side). They said that was kinda weird since all Charter frames are pretty much the same.

I'll add the suggestion to the checklist on the repair form, but like I said, you'd think they'd have caught it when they were replacing everything else on it.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Two posts that were still talking about related charter arms guns upset you?...... Sorry attention was taken off you for two seconds.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah...it's like they have no clue what to look for on their own gun...which when added to my experiences is even MORE reason for why I really don't think much of CA.:cool:

Here's the thing..no one at the factory apparently has a clue how to fix your gun permanently, even after two trips.

No one on a forum is going to be able to help you anymore than the factory guys, unless they simply get lucky.

And if they COULD, and DID tell you what the gun maker missed...do you REALLY want to deal with that clueless gun company anymore?:confused:

My suggestion...get it fixed and trade it in on a better gun. I just got a Taurus 605, right at $300, and there are other better guns in the Mag Pug's price range.

Is that on topic enough for you?:confused:

14. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I just bought a near perfect mod 29 for 500.:p

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    See what I'm saying?:p

16. gman68W

I have to make it "Three trips", because that's the magic number, right?

No one on -this- forum, anyway, but it was my fault for trying.

Yes, because they made a mistake they need to own up to. Plus I'm a natural at banging my head against a wall. Been doing it since grade school.

Eerily enough, I'd been eyeing a 605 Poly for a couple days before posting here, but I thought I'd ask around, try to get the gun I already have in working order before shelling out another car payment on a gun from one of the other manufacturers with a spotty reputation.

Yes, that's perfect.

17. gman68W

Fixed that link to the exploded-view diagram.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Thread drift happens and is an expected and normal part of most threads. After reviewing the posts in question, I do not find that they violate any of the forum rules. No one was trolling or abusive. And, yes, the thread drift was still within the bounds of the general topic of the company in question.

-Kirk [Moderator]

19. gman68W

Except the topic is about a specific revolver, not the company in general. Whatever, I've learned my lesson. "Never ask for help on the Internet".

At the very least, I've got some more notes to add to the things they need to check for when I send it in. I'll have to wait until everyone's home from Shotshow before I can start talking about invoking the warranty guarantee.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  20. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    If you do a google search for Charter Arms transfer bar breakage, you will see that your gun's problem is very common.