CHEAP deer rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tallbump, Sep 2, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, I am still on the hunt for a cheap deer rifle. Not too set on a particular caliber. .308, 30-06, 270? Bolt action.

Looking really strongly at the Savage Axis. Can get a scoped combo for around $350ish

There's also the Remington 770 and the Mossberg 100ATR
    I have heard bad things about the trigger on the Remington.

Haven't heard to much about the Mossberg. Started reading about it tonight. Biggest complaint seemed to be the lack of external mag. Also, the synthetic stock is hollow, therefore light and packs a bit of a kick.

I would prefer a scoped combo, only because by the time I buy a scope I'll end up around the same price anyways.

I did find a used Mossberg in 30-06 in my town for $230. Supposedly only used one season.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3416133/erie-pennsylvania-rifles-for-sale--mossberg-100-atr-30-06

2. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Go with the Axis scope combo, you can always replace the scope later with a better one. Also if you don't like recoil go with the 308, bit less of a shove than the 270 or 06. I like my Ruger but I got a really good deal on it.

4. For a caliber, what kind of hunting are you doing?

Woods, Field, Mixed?

5. Also keep in mind you can get a marlin 336 scoped for about 350.
    I like bolts, but i'm in love with levers.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

The Axis is good, so are the Marlin 7Xs, I have both and they are well under 1" at 100 yrds with my reloads, the Axis liked the Rem Kor-loks and the Marlin favored Federal both in 150 gr and .308. for factory ammo. Never shot a Mossberg.

of your calibers all are proven White Tail fodder. I just happen to favor the .308, I do however shoot an old 61 vintage Savage 110 in 30-06 also. The Axis, Mossberg, and rem 770 all come with the hollow composite stock. I think the Marlin has the better adjustable trigger. I didn't like the Axis bases, so replaced them with different ones, Rem 700s fit them. The Marlin bases were fine. My .02 worth.

7. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Go with the axis , I've got a heavily modified savage axis .308 and can easily shoot sub moa at 100 yrds and my tightest groupings are 0.324 " . For that tight grouping I had my trigger set at just under 3lbs pull

8. Branth

Branth Member

I agree with this. If you're looking for really inexpensive guns, a Mosin will fit the bill nicely. Just get a decent rubber buttplate, and maybe a recoil reducing sleeve over top of that, and see about maybe getting a scout scope setup if you want optics.

If you get one with a decent bore, they're pretty good shooters, too. Nothing like most modern guns - You're looking at more like 2 MOA or more, but plenty good enough for minute-of-deer accuracy, and probably better than most of us can shoot offhand anyway.

Here's a link to my old Mosin that I was able to squeeze less than 2MOA out of.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f290/under-2-moa-200-a-299746/

10. Branth

Branth Member

Full disclosure - I have never hunted deer, or actually shot at any living thing. That said...

I put together mine for $200 including a box of ammo. with the setup shown.

I'll give you the safety - It's a clunky and awkward beast to handle, that's for sure. However, the real safety is between your ears and all that jazz.

The trigger is kinda awful, yeah, but it's something you can train yourself to shoot well. Vasily Zaytsev was nailing hundreds of germans at impressive ranges. I'm sure with some practice a deer at close range would be manageable. I would hesitate to guess how many deer have been taken with Mosin Nagants, but I'd bet it's a pretty sizeable number.

Heavy? Yeah, a bit. Also, long. Also, $200 with some goodies and cheap practice ammo, with a vast array of aftermarket parts, pretty respectable power, and some history to go along with it. Sure, for another $150 you can get a better setup, but at that point, you're $50 away from having TWO scout-scoped and modded Mosins, or three and a half stock Mosins. An extra $150 is almost double the cost of the Mosin to begin with.

Is it the best rifle for the job? Definitely not. Is is the most cost-effective? Quite possibly. Will it do the job for very little money? Most definitely.

11. That's easy to say until you slide down a hill, or slip trying to drag a deer in the snow.

Im not knocking a mosin, but its not a deer hunter, not for in experienced anyway.

12. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

Sportsmans Warehouse has a Rem 783 for $199 no scope but chambered in 243, 270, 30-06, 308 or 7mm mag. I prefer the 7mag flat shooter very capable in brush

13. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Of the rifles you mentioned, I would go with the Ruger American.

As far as the Mosin, I am going to say it's the best value out there for the Hunter on a budget, with one caveat. Get the T-53.

I agree with one statement. The safety is awkward, but it is easily and cheaply fixed. Get a ring safety. It is easy to operate and quiet.
    The triggers on the T53 have the reputation of being among the best of any.
    Granted, the rifle is heavy and has a short length of pullI. Not much you can do about the weight, but you can remedy the LOP with an extended rubber recoil pad. They are made to fit and look like they belong there. As a bonus, they help with recoil.
    T-53's generally have a rough looking stock and are packed in a couple of gallons of cosmoline , but a little TLC takes care of that. With a good bore, they are good shooters, mine will stay under 2 MOA rested with origional sights. I carry mine almost exclusively when woods hunting.

And the cost? They are the cheapest of the Mosins. I have about $90 in mine. My brother about $110 in his.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. tallbump

I have really thought about the Mosin. There are good and bad points.

The way I see it, but the time I buy the rifle, swap the safety mount the scope, etc...I'll be right around the $350 mark anyways. Oh, that's including the fact that I would want to swap to the ATI synthetic stock too.

One advantage would be that I could spread the cost out over time.

I really like the Ruger American, but it cost a bit more.

By buddy's son has the Savage Axis in .308. Maybe I'll see if I can shoot that and see how it feels.

I kinda like that Mossberg, especially if I can grab that one on Armslist for under $250.

I will check out that Marlin lever action, didn't know you could get a centerfire lever action that low.

15. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You need to live closer. PA folks can buy whatever long gun they want in NY and my lgs has a few dozen used but extremely well taken care of rifles for real cheap. He recently picked them up at an estate sale auction and I was helping him go through and clean them all up. Being extremely good friends with his daughter and a pretty regular customer have their benefits.

16. tallbump

Nice. I will check out a few of my LGSs and see what they have used.

My buddy might be getting a part-time job at one, so that will help a lot.

17. Branth

Branth Member

Hell, if you lived closer to me, I'd be considering getting rid of my Savage 110FP. It's a heavy beast with a big bull barrel, but it's accurate as all hell.

If you plan on getting into the $350 range, then yeah, ditch the mosin idea. I, personally, like Savage's reputation for accuracy, even in the entry-level Axis, but the Ruger American is a pretty good deal too, from what I've seen.

18. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

I don't think you have given the "Hunting terrain/conditions" info up.
    Greatest distance? Realistically. Thick woods? Open pastures? Tree stand? Still hunting?
    There are plenty of guns that can work in any of those, but there are also plenty of guns that shine in the conditions of hunting they were designed for. AND are still affordable.

19. tallbump

Thanks Beagle...

Distance, realistically 100yards max, thick woods. For now, (next several years) either from a blind or just sitting still, some walking.

20. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

With my axis .308 and with the muzzle brake , boyds stock and extra thick butt pad there is hardly any felt recoil . My friend shot my .308 and he said it feels like a .223