Cheap (Inexpensive) Russian Primers anyone use em?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Sakdog, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Hello Folks.. I just purchased a box of Russian Primers (Heavy metal free) from the local gun store for :Gasp: $8.00 thats right only eight dollars for 1000 primers... Anyone use this stuff before..
    http://www.flame.murom.ru/en/Htmls/primers.htm Follow that URL to the site with a picture of the primers the part number of the ones I have is KVB-9E.

I tossed a few into the lee auto prime and they seem to feed well... and seat well.. And I took a few of the primed unloaded cases and ran em into my XD and squeezed them off... The primers are about the same loudness and smokieness and sootieness as my Winchester primers. .. Well Just wondering if any of the other reloaders out there have tried this stuff!.. If not I guess ill have to do a review and buy about 10,000 of these things... because with these primers I should be able to slap my cost per round of 9mm down to 7.8 cents per round! (Actually after I sell some of my scrap brass I might be able to get that down to under 5 cents per round...

2. What sizes do they have? I would love to buy 100 dollars worth myself if possible!!

I'm happy with Wolf ammo and other russian ammo so i dont think there would be any harm to using russian primers.

3. Ari

Ari Guest

Never heard of them. For $8.00 I would give them a try

4. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Well the guys at this particular gun shop printed a paper saying that there are a few draw backs. first is that you need to load about 3-5% above stated loads in order to achieve indicated ballistics of your load data.

The other note is that you are supposed to enlarge the flash hole to .115" otherwise the primers want to back out... (They claim that Severe bolt face damage will occur if the Flash hole is not enlarged) I must be silly because I don't see how a brass primer will harm a Steel bolt face.. Or even a Zinc one for that matter.... But we will see how this goes I think that note was just for those people using these primers for revolver loads.

Ive loaded a few rounds and will probably make it out to shoot them tomorrow Ill post on how they shoot.. (I did not enlarge the flash hole) Neither the manufacturers website or the box say anything about enlarging the flash hole....

5. Ari

Ari Guest

Who sells them

6. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Just my local gun store so far as I know
    Tucson, Az.

7. Ya know, that brings up a question for you guys... What IS the difference in the sizes of small pistol and small rifle primers, and also large pistol and large rifle primers? On that site for those CHEAP primers, it stated that they were basically the same.... Anyone?

8. can't say that i've seen those anywhere. I am currently using wolf brand primers and they're doing fine in the .40.

To my recollection small rifle and small pistol primers are basically the same size(in fact i've used small rifle primers in .357 cases for wax bullets), rifle primers are just way hotter.

9. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

I fired off 50 rounds loaded with these primers today I did not enlarge the flash hole and Im using the starting load on my powder/bullet combo and they seemed to function somewhat ok for plinking ammo.. I had 2 issues in this batch of 50 One hang-fire.. I think thats what it was.. it had a slight feel of delay and a weaker than normal feeling recoil.. . and one squib where the primer failed to ignite the powder... but succeeded in tossing the powder all over the gun and lodging the bulled 25% of the way down the barrel.... I might for my next lot enlarge the flash hole... After doing some reading I find that most manufactures that use Heavy metal free primers utilize an enlarged flash hole. so that might be why its having those 2 issues but no "Severe bolt face damage" occured nor did the primer back out at all... So I guess im going to do a 100 round lot and possibly do a slightly heavier charge to see what happens

10. Ari

Ari Guest

Man that does not sound good. They need to work, if you run risk of not igniting the powder that is no good.

11. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

i think its the flash hole issue... Im gonna try to get my hands on a 32 drill bit in order to drill that hole out and all should be good after that well see ...

12. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

I have seen these primers before and the standard primer is not bad and cheaper then the heavy metal free version. You must enlarge the flash hole as the heavy metal free primers burn quicker with less duration. The larger flash hole allows more of the limited burn into the case for proper ignition. If you do not enlarge the flash hole then the primers tend to back out of the pocket due to increased pressure with no where for it to go.

13. I think the wolf primers I got were about 15 bucks for a pack of 1000. They've been flawless. I think i'd take them over these things...

14. Ari

Ari Guest

I have a 5 gal bucket of 9mm brass it would take for ever to open up those flash holes. But if the price stays low and the everything else keeps going up it may be worth it..

15. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Yeah I plan to reload 150-200 round lots... Meaning that I set aside 200 cases.. Load, Fire, load, fire, load, fire, Etc.. Until the brass is getting worn.. So to enlarge the pockets might take about 10 minutes on 200 rounds of brass. So I figure If i get only 5 reloads out of those 200... Thats 1000 rounds.. good enough for me.. That shop where I got these primers Doesnt carry the normal non-corrosive primers (I wish they did)... Its kind of lame.. I dont care so much for the heavy metal free crap. I shoot outdoors so the issue of heavy metal residue in the primers isnt of high concern.

I plan to enlarge the pockets and if I get near 100 percent function... Im going to stock up bigtime...

16. Let us know how they work. If they are decently reliable I will be stocking up as well.

17. I found a new dealer near me that has standard primers (cci or remington i think) for 18 dollars a thousand. I'm going to buy a bunch from them this weekend I think.

18. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Around here so far all I can find is winchester or cci primers they are over $30 per 1000.... That is why these Russian primers are such a bargain to me..Ive drilled the flash holes of 200 shells. Of course my hand loaded ammo is only used for plinking... And some for storage in my stockpile. I think I should get about 100% function out of these primers with these enlarged flash holes Ive got 100 loaded and ready to go.. Will shoot on Monday.

19. You do realize that your handloaded ammo (after you test it), will be better than most commercial ammo, right?

20. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

Yeah I realize that these handloads will be better than most (If not all) factory ammo... I am starting to rotate these into my ammo cache and rotate out my steel case stuff, Wolf and S&B. Wolf seems to function quite alright while S&B is rather problematic to my XD9 but my 995 and C9 love it. So id rather get rid of my steel case stuff and replace em with handloads and once I am more proficient with my loading skills I will stockpile and keep on hand a bunch of JHP reloads (For use only in SHTF situations where legality wont be of concern) but so far my handloads have been quite nice and accurate. Only probs ive had is with these russian primers. FWIW .. On another website I was reading about these heavy metal free primers is that they are quite moisture resistant.. Someone even claimed that they dunked their primers under water over night... loaded them and they worked... .. Im going to test this claim..
    See this site
    http://www.bluewaterbiggame.com/new_products/pmc_non-toxic_primers_2003.cfm
    they are talking about pmc primers but I think the composition is about the same..

Right now im going to take 10 of these buggers and toss em into a glass of water let em sit for an hour... Let em dry for an hour and put them into an empty shell and test fire to see if they pop

Might be interesting