cheap mosin ammo?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Krippp, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

just bought my m38 mosin today and i need ammo, bad!!! short of reloading, where is the cheapest place to get ammo for this beauty? i'll start reloading later this year but for now i don't care about the corrosive factor as i will keep this baby very clean as i do all my guns..

p.s. don't get the gunny on me for no pics, their coming in a couple of days

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Corrosive or non-corrosive ammo isn't a big deal, especially if you carry Windex in your trunk like i do. :) Ask PrimalSeal about neutralizing the salts with Windex, He's the Guru... of Windex.

3. Kripp do you have your FFL03 license? If so SOG (SouthernOhioGun) is an excellent place to purchase Mosin ammo. They even carry the newer Romanian stuff manufactured in the 80's sometimes. They always have the older 50's Bulgarian stuff. You can only purchase from SOG with a license but the license gets you a discount (so they say, LOL). 880rnds $143.00 / 440rnds $72.60 of the Bulgarian. http://www.southernohiogun.com/ What did you pay for your M38? They have them for $89.95 excellent condition. I will probably buy one from them that I plan on sporterizing.

Here is another excellent place as well. I purchased some of the Hungarian not to long ago. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x54R.html

4. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

have applied for the ffl just last week so that's a no go for the moment and the m38 cost me 99 but came with all the accessories including a tool kit and another 3 months of free range time so i guess it kinda evens out and besides, it was local and all my long guns come from this company, they are the best people i've ever dealt with.

5. You can get your ammo from AIM without the FFL03 so your all set there. Let me warn you. Once that FFL03 arrives say good buy to any savings you may have in the bank. LOL did you see I spelled bye 'buy'? Did that by mistake but it sure fits.

6. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6991&dir=18|190|191

Decent prices

Food for thought, Joe Russian that used these rifles 60 years ago didnt walk around with a bottle of windex in his pocket.

And he sure didnt have the time to clean his bore every time he shot

I use Hoppes number 9 bore cleaner when I get home from the range, and all of my MNs and Mausers are used with surplus corrosive ammo and have shiney bores with no pitting and I shoot them a lot

7. unclerob

unclerob Member

8. neothespian

neothespian Member

Ah yes... me and the girl are making a trip down there next weekend (since it's only about 70 miles away from where we live). J and G also has amazing prices (Well, amazing for Arizona) on Masterpiece Arms, AK's and 91/30's.

9. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

+1 on J&G, they have the cheapest Mosin ammo I have seen in Arizona.

10. I'll have to make a trip to J&G too it looks like. When I bought my M44's at different times from Big 5, they were out of ammo for them, both times.

11. Since we all like to rag on Primal, I suspect a hoax -- but is Windex legit? What's the story?

12. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Yes, it is the ammonia that does the trick. You can make your own ammonia solution, but Windex is an easy alternative.

13. Any cheap glass cleaner with ammonia will do the trick. It neutralizes the salt acids.

14. Next year at this time, all of the current ammo prices will be cheap.

15. Farmkid,

The current cleaning products are not designed to break down the salt that is left from the corrosive ammo. Without a proper cleaning with an ammonia based product, there is a chance of leaving salt deposits in your barrel. Having served in the Navy, I know first hand what salt can do to raw metal.

I usually clean my mausers with bore cleaner like normal until the patches come out clean, then spray some dollar store window cleaner in there and swab it out several more times to break down the salt. The final step is to make sure the barrel is dry on the inside and then a run a patch soaked with gun oil for protection. It seems to work very well that way. That's MY method and I'm sure there are many more ways to do it.

It's a little extra pain in the butt, except when you figure the cost between shooting surplus corrosive for 5 dollars a box versus remington at 22 dollars a box. 17 dollars buys a lot of dollar store windex!!

16. I just placed a bulk order of 7.62x54R from AIM surplus that should be here on Monday.
    440round can of Hungarian 147grain Light Ball
    for 79.95 plus shipping is not too bad.

17. I have over 3,000 rds of Czech silvertip bought at the old prices ($79.95/880 rds) shipped.

Also 1,600 rds of Czech practice ammo at 79.95/800 rds shipped.

18. My hoppes number 9 bottle states that it removes corrosive salts, and as I said, my bores are all in very good shape and all I shoot is corrosive out of them. Some of my ammo is almost as old as the guns themselves

I have also read on gun sites that the water is what removes the salt, and that the ammonia can be harmful to the bores.

There are so many ways and different methods, I will stick with what works for me. It is up to everyone else to use the method they feel more comfortable with.

Like I said, Joe Russian did not carry a bottle of ammonia with him, he carried a bottle with oil and solvent and cleaned his rifle (hopefully) on a regular as possible basis and thousands upon thousands have survived to this date with decent bores.