CHEAP pocket gun advice

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by travis9mm, Apr 10, 2015.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Im wanting some type of pocket backup/plinking gun. My buddy had a Phoenix Hp22a. After 300rnds of break in we got the bugs worked out. Solid little gun. Paid $130 for it at thiesens. Ive looked into the Jimenez .22. Not bad price. What else is there for cheap. Less than $200. I know thats a low price but ya know money is tight blah blah blah. Post some pics of ur back up plinker!

2. Kiln

Kiln Member

The Jimenez JA22 is a very finicky gun. If I were getting a gun from them for carry I'd go with the JA25 or JA32 for reliability reasons and skip the rimfire gun completely.

The HP22 is a better choice but I'd block the firing pin safety switch to the "on" position and carry it chambered, safeties off, with the hammer down if I were going to use it for defense and load it with Minimags only for reliability. The firing pin is inertia based/spring loaded so you can safely carry it this way.

Another option is the Cobra Denali. It is cheap and reviews are pretty positive so far but the design is new and unproven.

All this in mind, I got my Taurus TCP for $240 new tax included and it is a much lighter gun, has a better trigger, has a last round hold open feature, and is made from higher quality materials than the others. The price difference is small enough to justify saving up a little more for a much better product in my opinion.

If you're set on .22lr though there's not a better option than the HP22a in that price range.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Puma or Heritage SA revolver? .22 and .22 mag cylinders, under $200.

I got all three of my S&W 22A pistols at under $200 each, used. Got my Ruger standard at $189 as well.

Never seen the Phoenix in a store, but they do sound like a good deal.

4. Kiln

Kiln Member

Only reason I didn't recommend the Rough Rider is because it is SAO. Seems like a poor defensive choice but a good range gun.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Subbing thread because I know it will drift above $200 price levels :p

It will drift other ways, too :D

6. Kiln

Kiln Member

At least it's not as bad as THR where you ask about a budget gun and get 20 people telling you to save up for five years and buy something that you'll have to sell your car to afford.

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

Full disclosure i own both an lcp and a tcp but if i had it to do over again i would avoid both and maybe choose a kel tec pf9 or diamondback db9 both reasonably priced maybe above your price ranges a bit but worth the extra saving.

I like the lcp and tcp a lot and either would be a good choice but the ammo is more expensive than 9mm and its harder to find here in my corner of Pennsylvania.

I've heard good things about the pheonix 22 but haven't seen one under glass anywhere to actually get to fondle it.

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

LOL, I was thinking the Taurus too, even though it is a bit over the $200 budget.

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

10. Kiln

Kiln Member

Your hands are probably glad you didn't get the PF9. Pretty stout recoil.

11. Back2School

Back2School Member

Wait and save up for this:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_40/products_id/716009308/KIMBER+SOLO+CARRY+DC+%28LG%29+9MM+3.5+6RD

Anything less and you are putting your life in danger :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Have you ever considered a NAA revolver? Great little pocket guns - I LOVE mine and I never thought I would like it. Even if it is single action. Technically the price starts just over $200 but they have a make an offer button...
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_344/Handguns/North%2BAmerican%2BArms/page/1/sort/6a

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Watch for sales on the Taurus TCP 738. They often go on sale for $199.

.380ACP. 6+1. Pocket Rocket comparable in size to the (slightly smaller) Kel Tec P3AT or the Ruger copy of it.

[​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have both the PF9 and the TCP. The PF9 is much larger than the TCP and isn't the "pocket gun" that the TCP is by a long shot. I carry both regularly but the TCP is for my pocket. Rarely does the PF9 go into my pocket. It's usually IWB.

That is true. At some point, the dollars saved by buying the less expensive gun are spent on the more expensive ammo and then some. Drawn on a graph, the red PF9 line+ammo starts higher, going up (because you always have to feed 'em), but eventually the blue TCP line crosses above the PF9 line and just keeps going up.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Attached Files:

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If you watch you can usually find them for $199 on sale at the LGS. But quantity will often be limited. You have to be prepared to jump on it. And when I bought mine, I only got one mag in the deal. Nice hard case, however,... which I have no use for. :rolleyes:

It's really pushing the envelope of a "pocket gun." The CPX is a straight up copy of the P11. I own a P11 and would only consider pocket carry in the roomiest of pockets. Further, while it's fairly light for what it is, it's still heavy enough to drag at the pants.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The LCP is worse. :(

Surprisingly, however, the TCP is a much more comfortable shooter than would be expected from its size. Decent ergos on that gun.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

I agree, Kirk. My 738 is dependable and accurate.

17. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i know but since ajole mentioned a full sized 22 revolver i thought some liberties could be taken to get a good gun in just over budget. I have owned 2 sccy pistols ironically one i sold to buy my wifes tcp and when i bought another she liked that so much i gave that one to her too. The first i bought used for $165 it had some issues with frame pins coming out. Sccy was fantastic to deal with their customer service. my second has had 300 or so rounds through it with 0 issues. I have a friend who shoots his nearly every weekend and has not had any problems. The trigger pull is long and heavy being double action only but its a decent dependable little gun that conceals well.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Agreed.

It's not a good pocket gun either, nor are my other ideas.

I got stuck on "plinker" and ignored the rest of the specs in the OP.:(

I also agree, the PF 9 kicks hard, and isn't really a good pocket carry, other than being thin. I did pocket carry it yesterday, and felt like I was printing until I switched it into a cargo pocket, where it's hard to access, and ended up rotated 90 degrees to lie slide down, grip forward, muzzle to the rear. Still in the uncle mikes size 1, so safe enough....:rolleyes:

I prefer to ankle carry the PF9, but I pocket carry my P3AT all the time.

19. honestly, if you want to plink and stick it in your pocket. under 200. the phoneix is the only choice i know of.

Its cheap, its cheap to shoot. its accurate and small. It isn't the best CCW defensive gun. but if you want cheap concealment go for it.

I carried mine for a year, until I saved up for a SW bodyguard a .380 that is even lighter than the phoenix. but the small .380s are so expensive to shoot, and are miserable in the hand.
    Now i have both and i'm a happy camper with both

20. papataylor

papataylor Member

FIE Titan .25acp can be found for $50-$150 just be sure it's the older steel slide or they'll blow up in your face. I pocket carried mine for a few months before selling it for my mustang XSP

IMG_0442.jpg

This is the one I had, it was a decent little firearms. .25 isn't cheap though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015