Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so a buddy and i were talking at work about AR rifles. I am wondering how many of you out there have built AR's recently. My buddy is convinced that he can build a functional AR for less then $500.00 I am having a hard time believing this. However knowinfg how great of thrifty shoppers there are here, What is the cheapest way to build a AR with collapsable stock? I built mine all from colt, and knight armament parts and it was over $1800.00 I know it could be done cheaper but i still dont think it could be done for less then $500 so please prove me wrong if you can.......

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I just put 1 together with a AR an A-2 stock and 20 inch flat top target upper for $610. I got the lower on Gunbroker for $210 (Rock River) and the upper (Rock River) on Texasguntrader for $400. I bet I can get a Sporter type upper for under $350 if I'm willing to shop around and wait a while. I put a Bushmaster scope mount and a Leapers mildot scope on the rifle for an extra $250.

I bet your buddy can put a rifle together for around $500 if he uses used parts or builds a kit gun and finds agood deal on a striped lower.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You won't build one for 500 with all new parts

The cheapest I have done was a light weight kit from M&A for 465, and a lower from Brownells for 96... add to that shipping and the FFL transfer (about 40), and you end up around 600.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Blackthorne Products has an M4 compete upper, w/o charging handle or the bolt for $319, a stripped lower i have found as cheap as $65. MA&I hasCAR/Commando/M4 uppers for $325 less bolt. It can be done.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Blackthorne Products has an M4 compete upper, w/o charging handle or the bolt for $319, a stripped lower i have found as cheap as $65. MA&I hasCAR/Commando/M4 uppers for $325 less bolt. It can be done.
You still have an extra few lower sitting around?? i'm in the market to build as well.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
319 + 65 = 384
BCG (even on the cheap) 100
that is 484
You still need a LPK, and stock
so add 90 to that, and then don't forget the transfer fee on the stripped lower, and the shipping for all those parts that you bought individually. We will call that 40 (and thats way low)

That would be 614

You could get the bare bones 16" M4 DPMS upper from Rguns with the BCG for 350, but you have no sights, no dust cover, and no forward assist.
Then put that on a cheap lower and come out a little closer to 500, but by the time you get optics, or sights on it you will be back around 600.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I'd stay way away from Blackthorne. They have a VERY bad reputation, they have done business under the names Hesse and Vulcan.

DPMS and CMMG are a far better choice and in the same price range.

Ron M.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I don't see being able to build an AR for less than 500 unless you got some heavily used parts or something. My Del-Ton build (which does have some extra shiny things on it) is going to be about 900 all said and done. If you got a Del-Ton complete lower ($180) and could find a heavily used upper for $300 or less you could have a sub-$500 build.

·
Premium Member
36,825 Posts
Since you can buy a complete M4 for $650 or so in my AO....seems like the cheap build is sort of pointless now. The build to make it the best you can for less than a new one still makes sense, I think. But the budget end isn't that great a deal, IMHO...

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
with the market saturation panic buying has induced, the price of ARs will only continue to fall until some of the smaller makers die out for lack of sales. then they should stabilize back to pre-election levels. im waitng until they break the 400$ mark and then ill pick up a couple again.

SW

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
with the market saturation panic buying has induced, the price of ARs will only continue to fall until some of the smaller makers die out for lack of sales. then they should stabilize back to pre-election levels. im waitng until they break the 400$ mark and then ill pick up a couple again.

SW
It's odd that the kit prices have stayed high, and the built rifles have fallen in price. It's not like these companies are sitting on old stock (for the kits)... none of them had anything in stock.

·
Premium Member
36,825 Posts
It's odd that the kit prices have stayed high, and the built rifles have fallen in price. It's not like these companies are sitting on old stock (for the kits)... none of them had anything in stock.
Maybe not...when the parts were unavailable due to demand, prices went up. The guns are more available now, so their prices are down; but I figure the manufacturers are selling their own guns first, the parts market will get filled next. Still more demand than supply, so prices are still high.
Or maybe the individual small sellers are just trying to make enough to keep their head above water...and it takes more now. I doubt if that is it, but if they only have a limited supply, they have to make the overhead somehow...?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I bought a High Standard lower with 6 pos. collapsable stock for $246 on Gunbroker. I then picked up a complete 16" flattop upper with quad rail and chrome lined BCG from JSEsurplus for $375.

I know some who have had problems with loose fitting when trying to combine uppers and lowers from different companies, but this one fits nice and tight.

I also have a flat top upper 11.5" plus 5.5" flash hider on order from Model 1 Sales. My one concern with them is that they don't give you an order number or estimated time for delivery, you're kind of in the dark after you've given them your CC info.

PS - thanks for the warning on Blackthorne! I was tempted to pick up a 7.62x39 upper from them but was put off by the lack of BCG with their product offerings. I'll look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I have a Model 1 Sales 6.8 SPC upper, they took about 8 weeks to deliver. I'm really happy with the build quality and accuracy. I'd give them a call or E-mail they should give you an ETA. My CC wasn't charged until the upper was shipped. I don't know if that's still their policy you may want to ask about that too.

Ron M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.