cheating on my c9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sdbrit68, Mar 14, 2015.

1. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

was thinking of getting a cpx2, one of the members here didnt have a lot of good things to say about it, so did more research ( why spend the cash if people who know more suggest otherwise ?)

After much consideration of practical, budget, weight and such.........we will welcome our new smith and wesson sd9 to the family in 9 more days.

My girlfriend has done well with my hipoint, but, I think she will be happier with the lighter weight, and the ergonomics seem to be better for her hands.

Next in line, is my hi point carbine now she is taken care of

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have a CPX2 and it's been a great little gun. My brother has a SD40VE, it's been a good one too. Don't think you would of gone wrong with either. Enjoy your S&W.

3. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I replaced my C9 with a S&W SD9VE about a month and a half ago. I hope it is as accurate and reliable as my C9 has been. It is an excellent gun and makes a good concealed carry piece. Since is almost the same size and weight of a Glock 19, it has the same tendency to shoot left and low until you learn how to properly shoot it (type in shooting left and low on YouTube). You also have to be sure to hold it properly so you don't "limp wrist" it.

I think you will be very pleased with it.

I traded my C9 to my neighbor for a nice old Taurus Model 84 made in the 70s. He wanted a semi-automatic with a manual safety and one that was heavy and the C9 fit the bill perfectly. He got exactly what he wanted and I got my first 38 Special revolver.

4. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Lighter weight 'will' have a bit harder/snappier recoil. That's one of the benefits of the Hi-Point, the extra weight of the slide makes for a pretty mild recoiling semi-auto. ;)

5. juski_w

juski_w Member

My wife has her c9. But she has Sccy 9mm in her carry purse. She has s&w 40sve in her car and a 40 carbine, has shtf rifle.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  6. sdbrit68

I have shot both, the range had a S&W to rent, the gun snobs will hate this, but I actually prefer my hi point. For me, it fits my hand correct, and as pointed out, I like the lack of recoil.

The S&W for her, she had a hard time with the grip on the c9, this one fit the bill a little better.

The shopping list is now

Mosin Nagat
    410 shot gun for her
    a 9mm or 40 hi point carbine

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

I (we) own all three. My wife uses the C( for a nightstand gun, carries a SCCY CPX-2. Over the past couple of years she's put close to 1500 round through both guns with no problems. I carry either an SD9VE or a Rossi 38 snubbie. While I like the SD, I did have a major problem with it early on and had to send it back to Smith. Long story, that. Short version is that it seems to wok well now, but we're still testing. I can't see a problem with any of the above and two of them have life time warranties

8. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I am on my 3rd Sccy now. NO problems with any of them. From time to time I run across a great deal on a Hi Point & the seller's love SCCY's. It makes for an easy trade gun. I once got a real nice Mosin + JHP-45 + 50 rds of 45 ammo for one $200 SCCY. Go figure!

9. sdbrit68

I was going to go through the trouble of having my daughter by the sccy in arizona for me, then bring it to california, as I was told it isnt on the "approved" list.

But, reading a lot of reviews on the trigger reset, and a few peoples problems, I figured the S&W which I could buy here would fit the bill.

Will put 200 rounds through it monday, and got the apex spring kit to bring the trigger pull to 5lbs

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Hey, to each his own. I missed the fact that you are in communist territory. I think you'll be happy with the Smith - Yours will be the 10 round version, right? I'd be interested in your range report.

11. sdbrit68

going to hit the range monday when I pick it up, taking my hi point with me to compare the two..........I want to do it before I do the JOey Trigger and Mahan sights on the HI point so that I have a stock vs stock comparison type of thing

12. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I went from a C9 to the SD9VE. I found it was very different and very "glockish" because of it light weight. If you're like many of us, you will shoot left and low and it's not the fault of the gun. You will unintentionally jerk the trigger and not even realize it. It's also very easy to "limp wrist" which will result in failures to eject or lock open on the last round. I talked with "experts", including a FBI agent who shoots Glocks. On the trigger, you put the trigger on the meaty part of your finger and pull straight back slowly until it fires(concentrate). I learned to hold the gun tight in my right hand and push while pushing with my left hand. I also shoot with both eyes open (hard for 67 year old who never did it before) and line up the three dots and watch the front sight. There are a lot of videos on Youtube (type in left and low, holding a semi auto, etc). I shot poorly when I first got it (same as the C9) but I was pretty accurate today.

13. lsi1

lsi1 Member

a lot of the bad press on the sccy you need to look at the dates of when the reviews were put up and the dates of manufacture of the gun itself they have come a long way in the last couple years.

My sd9ve experience was with a pretty bad version of the gun and the lack luster customer support with S&W lead me to shy away from them in the future. It was my wifes first buy for her own personal handgun It copied the glock so well that it actually ejected all rounds directly at the shooters face just like some of the late gen 3 early gen 4 models.

1st call to s&w needs broken in
    300 rounds of 9mm later
    second call send it in
    8 weeks later more brass to the face.
    call to smith needs break in
    wife sold the gun to my brother.
    He took it to a local gun smith who filed on the extractor for about 15 seconds and its run fine ever since.

No saying the gun is bad I've read far too many reviews that say otherwise but the customer experience is not nearly what sccy or hi point is. If the gun would have been my personal gun i wouldn't have given up on it but it was going to be her carry gun and she didn't trust it.

14. sdbrit68

Great advice osbornk and Isi1.........will be a learning experience