Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,771 Posts
Ok, I'm thinking 25, but what is the model name? Also, begging the question is not polite...

HOW MUCH???

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'm thinking 25, but what is the model name? Also, begging the question is not polite...

HOW MUCH???
It's a Raven Arms MP-25, .25 ACP. It was bought from Gun Broker, so it's public if someone cared enough to look, but I paid $350 plus tax, shipping, and transfer. It was within sight of $450 OTD. However, it was a must for my purposes and this is the only one I've seen for sale after years of looking for and collecting Ravens. That's about 4 times what a standard Raven should cost on the high end, but... factory "engraved" examples are standing at about three known out of about a 1.9 million serial number range for Raven Arms and I only have two serial numbers tracked of the three identified examples. Quick math on my spread sheet gives me an estimate that around maybe 200 to 1,000 were made with my best guess towards the lower end, the two known serials are only about 160 apart.

I know it sounds like I'm justifying paying CZ P10 money on a Saturday night special, but I am. LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
Focusing on collecting Ravens is daunting as there are so many subtle changes made during the years they were manufactured. Different steel stampings, minor frame changes, etc.

@bumthum here is a pic of your next unicorn challenge. Raven magazine with the logo stamped on the butt end. I've never seen one up close and personal.
Tire Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Bumper

My Raven mags only have stampings on the sides, never on the butt end, and none feature the Raven logo.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Focusing on collecting Ravens is daunting as there are so many subtle changes made during the years they were manufactured. Different steel stampings, minor frame changes, etc.

@bumthum here is a pic of your next unicorn challenge. Raven magazine with the logo stamped on the butt end. I've never seen one up close and personal.
View attachment 74991

My Raven mags only have stampings on the sides, never on the butt end, and none feature the Raven logo.
View attachment 74992
I've got that one in blue.
Rectangle Bumper Gadget Font Fashion accessory

I've got a lot of Ravens with their original magazines and never found a pistol, from any part of the 1.9 million serial range, that came equipped with these mags from the factory. I've only seen two, the blue one I own and a nickle example like the one in your photo. I have no idea where they fit into the production timeline, or why they were marked this way.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
@bumthum - too much or not, that is a NICE pistol. I'm no collector, just love cheap guns, even if they weren't cheap. Nicest Raven I've ever seen. Congrats on the score.

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
I've got that one in blue.
View attachment 74993

I've got a lot of Ravens with their original magazines and never found a pistol, from any part of the 1.9 million serial range, that came equipped with these mags from the factory. I've only seen two, the blue one I own and a nickle example like the one in your photo. I have no idea where they fit into the production timeline, or why they were marked this way.
Wow! Color me extraordinarily impressed and humbled. Interesting that you've never seen a Raven with a mag like that from the factory. Makes me wonder if they were accessory mags supplied by the factory. We'll probably never know.

Reactions: bumthum

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow! Color me extraordinarily impressed and humbled. Interesting that you've never seen a Raven with a mag like that from the factory. Makes me wonder if they were accessory mags supplied by the factory. We'll probably never know.
Yeah, there is a transition point where the pressed dots used to retain the floorplate turn into a pressed groove with retaining "nibs".

Rectangle Font Fashion accessory Auto part Metal

Left to right: Dots only from 6268XX (these are found on everything earlier going back to Baldwin Park), Rectangular nibs from 7116XX, Groove with rectangular nibs on backstrap marked magazine.

I don't own a Raven between 7116XX and something in the 1,17X,XXX region, but everything I own after 7116XX has the same floorplate retaining system as the backstrap marked magazine. I assume it must have come along somewhere in that serial range, but my buddy owns a Raven in the 8XX,XXX serial range and his does not have a magazine marked on the backstrap. I'm wondering if this was an early attempt to differentiate Raven magazines from magazines for the Lorcin L-25, Jennings J-25, etc. Maybe they decided it was too difficult to properly stamp the magazines in that location and it wasn't obvious enough to easily notice by the average user. The next chronological variation is the magazine marked "6 RD. 25 ACP" with the safety warning and then lastly the magazines marked " RAVEN ARMS MOD. P-25/MP-25 6 RD. 25 ACP" with the safety warning. I'm just speculating here, I still need a lot of research, but I believe that's the marking progression and so therefore the magazines marked on the back strap with the Raven logo are probably the earliest Raven Arms magazines to be marked... and probably date to around 1,300,000 to 1,500,000 serial range. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 12 of 12 Posts