Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
NICE!!! But I'm pretty sure I'd have eaten that. Fried Catfish - nothing quite like it

Reactions: Rerun and shaner

·
Registered
820 Posts
When you get into the really big catfish, you are better off letting them go. They don’t taste like normal size catfish. Easiest way to describe the taste is fish cooked in muddy water. I have ate a little bit of both a 70 pound and a 105 pound catfish. Both tasted that way.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
When you get into the really big catfish, you are better off letting them go. They don’t taste like normal size catfish. Easiest way to describe the taste is fish cooked in muddy water. I have ate a little bit of both a 70 pound and a 105 pound catfish. Both tasted that way.
If you catch any cat in muddy/murky waters and eat them, before frying up, marinate the meat overnite in Sprite or Mountain Dew. It will help draw out the fishy/muddy taste and make that old cat taste like a spring born 3 pounder. Deep fried nuggets or fillet, rolled in a light beer batter is the way to go. And, don't forget the fries.

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
If you catch any cat in muddy/murky waters and eat them, before frying up, marinate the meat overnite in Sprite or Mountain Dew. It will help draw out the fishy/muddy taste and make that old cat taste like a spring born 3 pounder. Deep fried nuggets or fillet, rolled in a light beer batter is the way to go. And, don't forget the fries.
My buddy Vernon from back in Newport, NC swore by Dr Pepper on those big ass channel cats.

Reactions: Rerun and shaner

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
I've been told that, if you have access to it, drop Mr. Cat into a spring for a day or two. Cleans out the mud, or so I've been told

Reactions: shaner

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I've been told that, if you have access to it, drop Mr. Cat into a spring for a day or two. Cleans out the mud, or so I've been told
That would work also, but nobody I know of has a spring fed waterway. that's clear.

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
I figure the stronger the better.
It worked though. I'm not a big fan of seafood anyways, but if that dude cooked it I would finish off a 50lb catfish one tasty fried nugget at a time. Those and his cheese and jalapeño hushpuppies were just amazing.

Reactions: shaner

·
Super Moderator
9,959 Posts
1st. That is not a bullhead. That is a flathead.

2nd. That is some of the best meat you can get. Flathead are predators. Normally eating live food. They are not scavengers. The meat is white and flaky. But as was mentioned earlier, the quality of the environment makes a difference regardless of the animal.

And a bit of trivia. Bullhead is undoubtedly the best bait for flathead. I use a lot of goldfish, eels, and live shad. Bream work well too if I have time to catch them before setting up. Also, I prefer to eat the bream myself.

Reactions: Rerun and histed
1 - 11 of 11 Posts