Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
I always keep one in my gear. Nothing helps better than a warm fire when your cold and wet. When I was really active in Scouts when I was a kid I got one of those little flint(magnesium) & steel kits on a string (still have it). We ended up coming across another patrol who's Sled (Klondike Derby) went through the creek with two of the guys next to it. They were soaked as was most of their gear (including the matches that were not in a waterproof container). We got a fire started for them in short order. Never saw a couple more grateful kids in my life.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used to have a few. Unfortunately, when I was loading up a BOB a couple weeks ago, I couldn't find it. Clearly my girl's fault :lol:

I need to get a couple more. These, plus at ziploc full of cotton swabs saturated with petroleum jelly and you're pretty much golden for getting a fire going just about anywhere.

FWIW, when my dad and his buds used to screw around and make thermite when he was in the service, they had to use magnesium to ignite it since it had such a high flash point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah ihave one of those in my bob along with some water proof lifeboat matches and a couple of bic lighters..want to have my bases covered on firestarting

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
please be mindful of the intense light that is emitted when magnesium ignites... I remember when my science teacher lit up a 3" thin strip of the stuff, we were all looking at the ceiling (her orders) and it was like a constant flashbulb... or welding torch... either way, protect them eyes.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Same goes for sparklers on the Fourth of July. Throw a few of those it your BOB along with your Bic. They will burn longer than the pile of magnesium you make. A flame from a match or lighter is all you need to get it started.

I didn't know about the water being used as fuel. I knew you couldn't extinguish a magnesium fire with water, from working at the airport (Magnesium is used in landing gear for commercial jetliners). But I didn't know that flame was hot enough to separate the elements and use them, or double the heat needed to melt iron.

I feel some science experiments coming on. :twisted: If I end up with any useful info I'll be sure to post it.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
please be mindful of the intense light that is emitted when magnesium ignites... I remember when my science teacher lit up a 3" thin strip of the stuff, we were all looking at the ceiling (her orders) and it was like a constant flashbulb... or welding torch... either way, protect them eyes.
That's what they used in old school flashbulbs, tiny strands of magnesium.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have like 4 of those. I also have some flint rods. I sugest you take them in your back yard and start a few fires to get the hang of it..... That is just my .02

N

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not only do I have matches and lighters, but I also have a magnesium starter and a magnifying glass. :wink:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Not only do I have matches and lighters, but I also have a magnesium starter and a magnifying glass. :wink:
Well said sir!!!!! I dont carry matches just because I can light thousands of fire with a bic..... I do have a small mag glass though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, since I found out that mine had gone MIA when packing my B.O.B a while back, I piked up another one Friday before we went out for a mini-camping/hunting trip.

My knife, as I found out, had made its way out of my pack so had we got any squirrels I wouldn't have been able to clean them until we got back anyway. It also made for a bit of excitement in starting a fire with the firestarter.

I ended up making a roaring fire anyway by using the edge of my P-38 to scrape off some magnesium and to strike the flint. Not bad for a pile of dry leaves/grass/sticks, a chunk of metal and a P-38.

Just one more reason to keep a P-38 in your survival gear. Opening up Chef Boyardee and starting fires. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whiskey's favorite fire starter:
Not sure why its listed under "mature" but this method works nicely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have used the Magnesium fire starter and they work great!

The battery and steel wool? That works too, I did it at work about 3 weeks ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts