Chest Rig

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Aug 5, 2020.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I was recently gifted a chest rig. I don't really need one and didn't have much particular desire for one. But I gots one now.

So, I figured, "why not?" and bought an inexpensive IV plate to insert.

I don't really have a practical purpose for it. I guess it has a bunch of mag pockets on it but I feel like a poseur wannabe when I put it on.

At least I've got armor for the Boogaloo. :rotfl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Imagine some 50-something year old bald dude with a Van Dyke wearing a cammo chest rig and looking like a poseur.

elmer-fudd.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Merle, yworrydog, RandyB and 5 others like this.
  3. Not good enough. Pics the vest itself, the red jello puddle, and your gi should be enough ;)

ajole and lklawson like this.
  4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

More recent photo:
    ming1.jpg

5. histed

histed Supporting Member

[​IMG] I thought you meant the kind I wear. No mag pouches, but it hold snacks

lklawson and CamoDeafie like this.
  6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

What if you get shot in the buttocks?

100 points for whomever gets the movie reference.

lklawson and histed like this.
  7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Don't know which one you're thinking of, but I remember a scene from a John Wayne movie (I think) where he told someone to keep his butt down cuz there was always a smart ass on the other side who'd shoot you in the butt instead of the head. Sure enough, next shoot out the guy took one in the cheek.

8. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Forrest Gump!!!

Merle and Think1st like this.
  9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Don't knock the utility of a chest rig. I have a MOLLE vest to carry a Glock holster, a few AR and Glock magazines, and and IFAK, just in case. The "just in case" happened when BLM marched passed our place over the course of several weekends. I didn't go stand outside, but I had everything I needed on the vest when I rushed downstairs to keep an eye on them through the security cameras until they left.

If you have any thoughts of ever readying your weapons for a bad situation, you should seriously consider configuring that vest appropriately. There is nothing posseurish about being properly prepared for the worst. It beats the heck out of grabbing random piles of magazines and loose ammo to shove into the first bag you can reach when things go south.

RandyB, ajole and Visper like this.
  10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

11. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My chest rig
    Helikon Tex Numbat.

12. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

This can't be correct,, red flag laws took away Mr. Fudd's right to have a firearm..:confused:

lklawson likes this.
  13. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Pretty sure "most" people on here have some sort of plate carrier or chest rig. I totally get not wanting to advertise it.

We all know there are keyboard commando's out there that have full camo from Ebay/China, plate carrier from Amazon/China, and all the airsoft gear (China lol) he can carry and we don't want to be classified as "That guy" that "lives in his mom's basement and plays COD".

Now I do not believe there are any on here like that. Maybe AKfiles (going through an overhaul) or AR15.com lol.

Personally I have 3. One chest rig just with mag pouches, utility pouch (something light) another that I consider "medium" with lvl3+ plates and my "heavy" lvl4 ceramics. Last 2 have load outs I am comfortable with. Nothing crazy but essential in my opinion if shit really does go south.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Think1st likes this.
  14. Think1st

Florida
    I'll bet there are, and they have them set up in a manner practical for a specific purpose. It's just smart.
    I think a lot of those AK Files posters really are the kinds who live in their moms' basements. When comments like "WASR FTW!" and "A 15 year-old Somali kid would blow your ass away." make up so much of the content, you know you're dealing with some "special" people.
    I have a couple of different ones for different rifles. Only the one set up for my AR is really comprehensive. The bottom line is to have mags for the rifle, a holster for the sidearm, mags for it, and an IFAK. I have a DAGR pouch that accommodates my phone, and I'll probably stick that on there, too. It's more secure than my belt holster. Commo is pretty important.

Those BLM protesters can appear pretty quickly, and the first time I had to get my stuff together, I was glad to have a ready kit. It takes to long to fumble through a bunch of crap to gather the right magazines, load the ammo and then shove it all into some sort of bag, which might just not be conducive to ready access for reloads.

Visper likes this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I live in my OWN basement, and play Skyrim, so that’s totally not me.:confused:

I have the Enhanced Load Bearing Tactical vest, with a belt attached. Six mags in the vest, I can add 6 mags on the belt, but I don’t, it’s got a FAK and water.

16. I'm gonna be a bit of a pedant here.

A chest rig is something like these, in which ammo and stuff are all mounted on the front, and often nothing on the back except a hydration pack, bladder, or rucksack
    20200409_160112.jpg
    20200409_133909.jpg

A plate carrier or an armor vest is a device that carries armor, both front and back, sometimes side hard plates, some with soft armor. some chest rigs provide that as well (RRV, Woosatch/Weesatch/Wasatch series)
    These are my personal examples
    20200420_145948.jpg 20200802_174841.jpg

And then we have the nonarmor vests; like the famous LBVs, FLCs, Blackhawk/Eagle Industries types. Some are called "Ballistic nylon" vests :rolleyes: I recall the media thinking one such example was a bullet resistant armor vest :rolleyes:

Think1st and Visper like this.
  17. Think1st

Florida
    I still have an old-school LBV with the pistol belt from back in the day. It's seen better days, too!:p

ajole and CamoDeafie like this.
  18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yep just vests with duty belts with ammo pouches and holster with knife etc. Nothing to fancy or heavy. I don't use plates. Why? Because I don't stand in the open thinking this plate will protect me.

FlashBang, Think1st and ajole like this.
  19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I forgot the holster and pistol mag pouches on the belt. Only added them a few months ago. Balances the canteen.

Visper, Think1st and moona11 like this.