Chiappa M1-22

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Visper, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

As promised I got her out to the Range.

Disassembled her and oiled it up before the trip. I always like to do this to new firearms so that i know its done. They did a decent job on it so it wasn't bad. Checked everything and it looked like a quality manufacturing job.

Sighting in went fairly simple, didn't really like the composite sites but they function just like steel ones, at least on a 22. Sighting in at 25yds didn't take long as it was fairly close out of the box and actually liked the M1'ish adjustable elevation on the rear sight. I was pinging a steel plate at 25-50 yards easily and comfortably at about a 90% rate. It was so light and handled great.

I hear this is a very close replica (dovetail @ the rear sight) so I was thinking of trying a steel rear sight that I can get off ebay, I'll let you all know how that goes if I try it.

No FTF or FTE but only put about 200 rounds through it. Finding 22lr ammo around here is like striking gold...

So I did more reading and found out the Chiappa M1-22 is totally interchangeable with an original M1 stock and vice verse. I decided to check this. I have a neighbor that had (key word) a post WWII Plainfield M1 stock stored in his attic. He purchased this and moved the action to a collapsible paratrooper stock and just stored the original. I offered him $50.00 for it and had it within a 1/2 hour (he had to find it).

So after I get this I run, ok jog, home and start do disassemble and check this, hoping I didn't just waste $50.00 lol. It fit perfectly even with all the original metal in the old M1 stock.

All in all this was a quality purchase in my book:

$150.00 for the gun on gunbroker
    $40.00 for shipping and FFL transfer fees
    $50.00 for stock that came with sling and oiler.

Grand total $240.00 for a damn close replica that is cheap to shoot (when you can find ammo...)

Hope this is helpful to anyone considering a fun 22 plinker that isn't your run of the mil AR type and brings a small sense of history to our little hobby or obsession... your choice lol.

Here are the pics: (old to new)

Attached Files:

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I got the wood stock version for Christmas. It is a sweet gun. My boys pull it out everythime they come over to shoot. I have also read that the original M1 sights were interchangable. I also put a metel guard on top of the forward grip.

Attached Files:

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Wood stock looks a lot sexier.

4. Great choice on the wood stock. its pretty sexy. I didnt realize they could be had for as low as $150. Im tempted to get that or the 9mm version. of course the 9mm is more expensive

5. Visper

Exactly my thoughts!!

Gonna start shopping for some real rear irons.

6. bersa2

bersa2 Member

Great score on the vintage stock. It's definitely a tempting little plincker.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I fondled a Chiappa M1-22 at a LGS last weekend. Seemed light enough and the action was light and as smooth as can be expected for NIB gun setting in the LGS rack. I immediately wondered if the charger/action on the 9mm version was just as light. I doubt it, but I'd really like it if it were.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

How much are they selling for?

eldar

9. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

One of the LGS I frequent has the synthetic stock for $249. I gave $279 out the door with 4 extra mags, on Black Friday last year!

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

IMS, it was about $250.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

That doesn't sound too bad for a wood stocked, magazine fed .22LR Carbine OR synthetic stocked rifle...

eldar

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If it wasn't a very sexy M1 replica, it would be about double what I would pay. But I'm cheap, and I have bought good mag fed wood stocked semi guns for $50 and $60, though more often they are $125-$150.;)

I see closer to $325 in my AO for that Citadel, so I'll be waiting on a used model to fall into my lap.:(

Though I did give asking price on the last two Ruger 10/22s I bought. But like the Citadel or the StG and AK replicas one sees, they were special models to add to my collection.:rolleyes:

Oh and a huge plus 1 to adding the wood. Does the guy realize he just cut the price of his M1 carbine in half by selling you the wood?

13. Visper

I assume he does >.> he's very happy with his paratrooper collapsible and I guess if you never plan on selling it, it doesn't really matter if you cut its worth in half.

But no matter what I was very happy to relieve him of it and make my Chiappa look very nice!

14. Love the look with the metal guard. That thing is one sweet little gun!!!