Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HP fine gun but for comfortable carry weapon? I am considering Bersa .380. Any thoughts? btw, tried Winchester White box today...total disaster..Blazer Brass seems best.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The C9 was my carry pistol for a long time while driving the Cab, and will be again when I can aquire another one. As for size, if you compare it to many other 9mm pistols, you find that it's REALLY not that much bigger. The weight is a factor unfortunately. I find the C9 to be an excellent, reliable pistol for CCW.

As for the WWB ammo in your pistol: Check your grip. Sometimes the consistancy of ammo for bulk winchester isn't the best and you tend to have a few that just don't have the oomph to get that slide recoil going unless you have a VERY VERY firm grip. I myself have moved to the Remmington UMC "green box" because it seems to have a more crisp feed.

And, I really can't say anything negative about the Bersa as a carry weapon. They're fine pistols and look great to boot!! I'm loyal to Hi-Points, but a Bersa is a great choice if you go out of the family. Can't go wrong with one of those, and the price is good on those, especially the .380

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
There's a couple of carry threads here, so look around some too. Couple of thoughts to add to Neo's:

If you choose to carry, practice carrying, drawing, cover/concealment, etc. It's part of the bargain. I don't know your experience level, so take classes if you can, or get training. It will help.

Qualify your gun. Many won't consider an semi-auto ready for protection until several hundred flawless rounds go down the pipe - including a healthy dose of your carry ammo choice. You have to be able to count on it with out reservation.

Which gun? You can get holsters to carry just about anything so if the C9 is your choice, look around. Bersa's are fine guns I've heard too. I'd consider however getting a small 9MM if you're looking for small. 9MM is generally considered to have more stopping power (some will argue it's not a reason to make this decision). But one reason to go with 9MM is the cost of ammo. And if your objective is protection, practice is a must. Ammo prices could matter.

Good luck and take aspirin. Picking a new gun is tough; there's some great ones out there. And now that you're an HP Addict, you know you don't have to spend $1,000 for reliable protection.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Currently carrying a Taurus 85 .38 revolver. I'm considering a KelTec or Bersa as a semi-auto option.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I carry my C9 in a Fobus Model HP2 paddle holster, for deep concealment I use a Black Hawk Model 06BK-R IWB. I like the Black Hawk over the same Uncle Mike's. The Black Hawk belt clip sits higher on the holster/gun, which prevents the gun from flipping outward when sitting or squatting, It also is more comfy IMHO.
Right now I carry the C9 with 10+1 in the gun and a spare 10rd mag in the back pocket of my off-side. The C9 is currently my only firearm. I gave my Phoenix hp22a to my wife for her B-Day. I painted the grips pink for her. I'll be posting a picture or two of her with it in the "Chicks with pics" thread in a little while. I am however, in the market for a .357 revolver. I'm not picky on brand, just want it to be carry-able.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use to do armed security for an armored car company.With getting on and off that truck all day,I chose the lightest sidearm I could find.I carried a S&W Sigma 40 for awhile and then sold it for a Taurus PT-145. Both were great for work and concealed carry,lightweight,reliable,and had the knockdown power you always want.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right now it's a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special...but that will change with my mood.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My fiancee carries a Bersa .380 and she likes it. It has a good feel. I carry a HP .45 with a Fobus holster. I like the gun alot. Ive owned it for almost a year. The only ammo I had a problem with was Blazer.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I bought my C9 to carry but find it way too bulky and heavy so I went out and bought a Kel Tec P32 which is small and only weighs 9 oz. loaded, and 8 shots. I wish Hi Point made a similar pistol and have suggested it to them. Maybe we'll see one soon.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Don't count on it. Do you have any idea how hard it is to carve something that small out of a 4 pound hunk of solid steel? :D :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
LOL good one.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I shamefully admit I don't own HP pistol. daily carry is xd40 service or SA 1911 operator with 4in barrel. A good friend has a Bersa in 380 and loves it. I've fired it some and it isn't bad at all. if you're looking for something real small you might also look at kel tec pf9. I had one but had to give it over to the GF. Never been happier about losing a pistol (actually that's the only one I've ever given up)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im really thinking about getting the Taurus Mill Pro .45. I held that gun when we went shopping for my fiancees .380 and man the Taurus felt like a toy compared to my HP .45.

·
Registered
256 Posts
G

·
I carry a Kel Tec PF9 all day every day. Less than a pound with a fully loaded mag and reliable as a work day is long. ;-)
The wife carry's a P32 which is even lighter and just as reliable. ;-)
YMMV

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a Kel-Tec p32 to carry all the time. I may add a revolver to the mix at some point as well. HP is just too heavy to carry all the time for me and I have had enough fail to feeds to not have complete confidence in it yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts