Choose My Secondary Home Defense Handgun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kiln, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Hi Point JHP (9+1 .45 ACP)

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Arminius HW357 (6 rounds .357 Magnum)

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    The .460" S&W, is what, .454"? An extended length .454" Casull. Wish S&W or Taurus would make a .460"/.410" 3" that you could run .45" ACP out of.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    He's right, KLAWSON! You need the "T" supplement, if you're past 40 and I know you are! Get AGELESS MALE @Mal-WartZ, it's reasonable and IT WORKS! You'll Love It!

3. Asher1

Asher1 Member

Rural king has a EEA ,357 witness on sale right now for like $250 if your looking for a revolver.. It's the 2" barrel version, if you miss you'll at least blind them... I would love to grab one of these up if I wasn't flat (gun fund) broke right now...

I wouldn't place a ton of weight on the noise (making it a decision issue), under extreme stress your ears (like a lot of your body) fill with fluid/blood to dampen/protect from damage and impacts... if that wasn't the case there wouldn't be a single city cop around that wasn't death....

Think about when hunting, you don't realize the noise that 30-06 made when you put that big buck down, like you did when you where at the range..

That being said, if you plan on routinely shooting inside your house with a gun you might consider another option (or a change of address) :eek:..

4. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    As stated in a prior comment, which type and cal/mm is up to the individual. I have a 9mm DA semi-auto and a .38sp revolver. One I keep in the bedroom all the time, the other is where I am at the time. Right now its in my computer desk. In a few minutes it's going to be in the kitchen.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Oh yes I did.

The Chiappa Rhino is a quality, avant-garde design **intentionally dramatic wave of the hand**. What's not to like about something that puts the bore axis lower than it's ever been on a revolver?

6. Think1st

Florida
    You should try ginseng. If you have any oriental grocery stores around, they'll likely have the good stuff from Korea. Look for the stuff that says 6 년 on the packaging. It is better quality extract.

The nice thing about ginseng is that it expands your blood vessels, and the improved circulation makes you more energetic without the jitteriness of caffeine. It also counteracts the vasco-constrictive effects of the caffeine if you happen to have any issues with blood pressure spiking from having too much of it.

7. backbencher

Texas
    The lockwork that means the cocking piece you see is not the hammer that will hit the firing pin. And it's not the first to put the bbl on the bottom - that would be the Mateba, one of the Rhino's designer's previous designs - that was rather better executed & of higher quality.

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The 460 is, I'm pretty sure, a 451/452. The 46 Rimfire is .456 /.458.

I need to look it up to be sure, but before WWII, 45 Colt/Scholfield/Russian etc were .454, everything afterwards was .452.

9. greg_r

I believe in ginseng. I get mine from West Virginia. I started taking it years ago because of SVT. I really believe it helped. I have since had an oblation. 13 burns. I know what torture feels like! Only one episode since. That's been about 4 years now, but I still take ginsing.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :eek: good point! :eek:

Ginseng, FTW! He also needs a "T" supplement, IMO. They will work together, and SWoMBO will be calling him "Big Poppy" ;)

11. greg_r

I think the first revolver with a lower barred was the LeMat. The 9 shot cylinder revolved around the lower smooth bore barrel and fired through an upper barrel.

The Mateba was a hybrid. A true semiautomatic revolver, unlike the Rhino which requires the operator to advance the cylinder manually.

12. Think1st

Florida
    It sounds like you've really gotten that SVT under control. 13 burns--that's a lot of spots getting microwaved. That could not have been fun--especially with the catheter being run in there.

It's good to hear that homeopathic methods are keeping you well. The more advanced (but more invasive) approaches have a place, but the more natural approaches allow the body to achieve better equilibrium in the long term.

13. Think1st

Florida
    I saw an explanation of that unique setup in a TFB TV review of the Rhino. It didn't appear to pose any structural risks, but then I haven't been able to handle one to see if there are any. I would be curious to see how many rounds they typically run before they need servicing. I haven't heard many stories of them having problems.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The .40S&W packs about the same punch with less noise

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR69Wy5nMJI[/ame]

15. greg_r

When asked how it felt, be best answer I can give is to tale a solder gun, stick it to your heart, and pull the trigger. 8 hours on the table, and while sedated, they could not put me to sleep. To do so means they could not speed up my heart and find the trouble spots. Yes, it was unpleasant, but the results were worth it.

16. Think1st

Florida
    No doubt about that. I only mentioned the Chiappa as an example of what appears to be a quality revolver brand.

By the way, did you know that if you fire a .40 from a revolver that it has more power than a 10mm fired from a semi-auto? :p

17. greg_r

Rippy? Is that you?:blush:

18. Think1st

Florida
    Hehehehe!

19. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

My bedside gun is actually a 9mm revolver.

20. backbencher

Texas
    Thought Colt/Casull/S&W were .454", Bushmaster/ACP were .451", and the .458" Magnums & SOCOM were .458". Hence the difficultly w/ the .450" Bushmaster in finding really heavy bullets to run subsonics.